News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

So close, yet...

Started by MoparMark, January 17, 2008, 12:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMark

...so far away.

Alright, here's the story...

I'm a member of a car community forum over at http://www.dippy.org.  As of a few weeks ago we were using IPB 1.1.2, and had been using it since 2004.  The hosting company dropped support for it and moved over to SMF 1.1.4.  The site admin had asked me if I could look into moving all the old posts over in an archived sub section of the forum.  I told him I would look into it and that brings me here.  Since we already went live with SMF and have been using it for a while, I thought it best to sandbox this convert here at home, especially since there wasn't a converter written  specifically for this ancient version of IPB.  Here's the setup...

I'm running an Ubuntu 7.10 minimum command line install within a virtual machine so I could take advantage of snapshots.  All the box has installed is build-essential, apache, PHP, mysql, sshd, and ftpd.  I setup a clean SMF install in /var/www/smf.  Then I copied down the old IPB forum from the public web server and placed it into /var/www/forum.  Next I imported the IPB sql database into mysql by hand and gave the SMF mysql user full read rights to it.  So now I've got both forums running happily in this virtual machine.

Next I downloaded the convert script for IPB 1.3.x (seeing as though it was the closest version) and placed it into the SMF directory as the instructions read.  I browsed to it in a web browser, gave it the required path info, password, and told it to go.  It actually did import over all of the user profiles, and all of the posts from 2004 to January of 2007.  Once it got to that point it error ed out, leaving the following message dump and about a years worth of posts.

Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting polls... Successful.
Converting poll options... Successful.
Converting poll logs... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting topic notifications... Successful.
Converting board notifications... Successful.
Converting moderators... Successful.
Converting permissions... Unsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT
    g_id AS ID_GROUP, g_title AS groupName, g_max_messages AS maxMessages,
    g_view_board AS view_stats, g_mem_info AS view_mlist,
    g_view_board AS who_view, g_use_search AS search_posts, g_email_friend AS send_topic,
    g_edit_profile AS profile_identity_own, g_post_new_topics AS post_new,
    g_reply_own_topics AS post_reply_own, g_reply_other_topics AS post_reply_any,
    g_edit_posts AS modify_own, g_delete_own_posts AS delete_own,
    g_post_polls AS poll_post, g_post_polls AS poll_add_own, g_vote_polls AS poll_vote,
    g_use_pm AS pm_read, g_use_pm AS pm_send, g_is_supmod AS moderate_forum,
    g_is_supmod AS manage_membergroups, g_is_supmod AS manage_bans,
    g_access_cp AS manage_smileys, g_access_cp AS manage_attachments,
    g_can_remove AS delete_any, g_calendar_post AS calendar_post,
    g_calendar_post AS calendar_edit_any, g_post_closed AS lock_own,
    g_edit_topic AS modify_any, g_open_close_posts AS lock_any
    FROM `xidcyllm_ivbd1`.ibf_groups
    WHERE g_id NOT IN (1, 4, 5)
    LIMIT 0, 100;

Caused the error:

Unknown column 'g_edit_topic' in 'field list'

Any idea as to what this means?  If I can remove this road block I'm fairly certain I can get it to finish the import.  I was actually very surprised it got this far seeing as how the version of IPB it was written for is considerably newer.  Thanks in advance guys!

-Mark

JayBachatero

My suggestion is to not bother with permissions.  Remove the Permissions ection from the .sql covert file.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

xav_allswing

MoparMark, i'm exactly in the same case as you were ... I had a look on your website and saw that you finally succeed to convert your old board on IPB to a new one on SMF.
Can you tell us what you did to do so ? I'm trying to use the 1.3 converter, i've removed the permission section (and polls section too) ... the conversion finished. All my posts, forums and so on seems to be here but i can't log in :( I registered new users and update my admin account with the new user password and passwordsalt ... but i think i missing something ^^
It could be very helpful if you tell us what you did :D or maybe someone may have an idea for my problem  ?
Thank you very much.

JayBachatero

Did you try the converter int he sticky?
Follow me on Twitter

xav_allswing

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 20, 2008, 02:57:00 PM
Did you try the converter int he sticky?
Humm nope nope , i've used the converter hosted on the portal, this one.
I'll give a try with the converter in the sticky and will let you know.

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

xav_allswing

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 24, 2008, 04:46:48 PM
Did you give it a try?
Yup ! And it seems to work :) I just needed to remove the permissions section in the .sql file and it seems to be okay. Greet job guys, i'm kind of surprised to be able to have my old IPB 1.1.2 forums running now on a brand new forum script so easily. You can add a new satisfied SMF's user in your list ;)

JayBachatero

Glad to hear you got this solved.  I'll mark this solved for now :).
Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: