News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Possible to remove all URL links in all user signatures?

Started by GoinNutz, April 28, 2024, 12:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoinNutz

My apologies if this is already answered somewhere, but I've exhausted all web searches and forum searches and https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Main_Page searches on this. Maybe I'm just missing it somewhere.

I'm trying to find a way to remove all URLs / links in all signatures from all user accounts in an old large forum.

I don't see it as an option in the admin panel, so I'm wondering if it might be possible via phpMyAdmin maybe.

Been trying for a long time to get a very large very old SMF prepared for big new changes and would like to get rid of all signatures in all user accounts, as many are old and outdated URLs, without completely disabling the ability for users to re-add new links in their signatures moving forward.

Any feedback on this would be beyond helpful and appreciated very much, thank you!

Arantor

Remove all links or just remove all signatures? The former is difficult, the latter is easy, just you refer to both.

GoinNutz

@Arantor - Thank you for replying.

From your response, it sounds like the easiest route would be to remove all existing signatures completely from the forum and the database, and then just let all users know that they will need to re-add their signatures. You mention that removing all signatures is easy, but how to do it? I'm sure I must be overlooking something in the documentation.

But even then - if I find a way to delete all existing signatures - how to prevent them from creating links in signatures moving forward?

Thanks so much for your input!

Arantor

phpMyAdmin, UPDATE smf_members SET signature = "" should do the trick.

As for preventing new links, in the signature settings there should be an option for setting bbcode, disable the url bbcode there.

Diego Andrés

If you update those setitngs, you get a promnpt to apply to all current signatures, but not sure if the result is the same.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

GoinNutz

Thank you both for your input, very valuable! I'm going to try these both on a test site this morning. I only manage a few SMF sites now, but a couple of them are big and active. Transitioning them from 2.0.x to 2.1.x is proving to be a bit of a challenge and I'm trying to make sure I can delete signatures for about 1000 - 2000 users without breaking anything in the process.

GL700Wing

You can use the following mod to enable/disable membergroup-based signature permissions for images, smileys and links: Membergroup-based Signature Permissions.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Advertisement: