News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Guest has managed to send a PM ???

Started by stoo23, April 04, 2024, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoo23

Hi guys,

I must admit I am kinda' intrigued and perhaps a bit disturbed by this occurrence as the other day, I noticed a new listing in my error log:

You cannot view this attachment.

I also noticed the PM appeared shortly afterwards in my Mail Que.
I know who the recipient is and the email he has 'listed' on his profile in effect does not exist, (there is No dns for the email address), which is why the 550 errors are reported, (which is an issue I have been trying to sort out with the user ... sadly to no avail, so far), and it would not surprise me that he is responsible for this and some later 'activity', where he once again, (as a Guest), tried logging in with His User Password.

Normally, I would not necessarily be concerned, but this particular user is an extremely capable Coder AND We have slightly 'crossed swords' previously, so I am a bit concerned.

Any ideas as to How this scenario could have occurred ???

Thanks, once again, in advance.  :)
Stewart

Kindred

The guest is not sending a pm nor doing anything in that error...

The site runs cron.php on ANY activity, by users or guests.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

stoo23

OK, I was just concerned that this (image below), appeared in my Mail Que at almost exactly the same time, (I have deleted the user's email address), but it was TO the arguably troublesome user, who also later attempted the Guest log-in with his user name password ??

You cannot view this attachment.

So simply wondering what you think might be going on ?? If anything  ;)  :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Cron is used to send to send email notifications, the connection is logical.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

That just means that the system was trying to send a notification to that user about a pm in the inbox -- not that the user sent a pm themselves
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

stoo23

OK, thanks guys, .... I'll believe you  ;)  :)

I just 'Have my doubts' about that particular User and was a bit concerned.
He's the sort of clown who would take delight in 'hacking' the forum, just to be satisfied he could,..  :)

Thanks again, cheers.
Stewart

Advertisement: