News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RSS Feed Poster

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 11, 2007, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papabill

Quote from: djkimmel on January 28, 2012, 04:49:09 AM
If I have read all these posts correctly, no one has yet figured out why this mod won't feed in the first item? I have 10 items in my feed I'm using and have the RSS Feed Poster set to 10 but it is only bringing in items 2-10. It won't bring in item 1. Won't bring it in if I put 11 or 20 or whatever. It appears others have this same issue.

I hope someone smart figures that out. Not sure I can after going through the existing code and this long thread. I do appreciate some of the help and suggestions on other workings of this mod.

I have about 14 in my feed list, but of those, only 4 or 5 regularly update. It all depends on what you are getting feeds from, and the activity on the feed itself. I've got one that has updated only once, but that's not to say it won't have more later, depending on traffic. If you have got everything installed, got your feed list (and you know they are active) , got your scheduled task working, that's all it takes.
Computer Help available:
Computer help: $52.00 hr.
Computer help while you watch: $92.00 hr.
Computer help with your advice: $152.00 hr
Computer help with your assistance: $252.00 hr

djkimmel

I have 10 items in my feed lists I'm retrieving. I have the mod set to get 10 items. It never grabs the very first item in the feed.

If all 10 items are new, it will create 9 new posts on  my forum and not include the very first, newest item from the feed. I've tried it with several feeds and no matter how many items I set it to grab, it does not create a post from the very first item in the feed. I've tried it against a B2evo feed and a Wordpress feed. I used a several completely new feeds to test. I tried setting it to grab 14 items from a 10 item feed and it still only grabbed 9 not creating a post with the first feed item.

I looked at the code and I can't figure out why it does not include the final feed item. Seems like it should loop through every item without dropping any until it completes all items that are new. Just thought someone else might have figured out why it doesn't create a forum post from all new items including the newest one? Thanks.

papabill

Quote from: djkimmel on January 29, 2012, 03:48:51 PM
I have 10 items in my feed lists I'm retrieving. I have the mod set to get 10 items. It never grabs the very first item in the feed.
If all 10 items are new, it will create 9 new posts on  my forum and not include the very first, newest item from the feed. I've tried it with several feeds and no matter how many items I set it to grab, it does not create a post from the very first item in the feed. I've tried it against a B2evo feed and a Wordpress feed. I used a several completely new feeds to test. I tried setting it to grab 14 items from a 10 item feed and it still only grabbed 9 not creating a post with the first feed item.
I looked at the code and I can't figure out why it does not include the final feed item. Seems like it should loop through every item without dropping any until it completes all items that are new. Just thought someone else might have figured out why it doesn't create a forum post from all new items including the newest one? Thanks.
My "quick fix" solution to that would be to CAREFULLY check out the URL of that feed. If it is all correct (I have always argued that I check them carefully, but nine times out of ten I miss something), then put some other feed in there that you don't particularly care about (one additional feed PLUS the original 10) and try again. I still see posts that are dated several days ago-topics that do not have very much activity.

If it picks up the "last 10" correctly, then it's definataly a coding issue.
Computer Help available:
Computer help: $52.00 hr.
Computer help while you watch: $92.00 hr.
Computer help with your advice: $152.00 hr
Computer help with your assistance: $252.00 hr

djkimmel

I just tried a feedburner feed that has 10 new items in it. I created a new feed post to a new test board and set it to import 12 updates for some overkill. It only imported 9 into new threads. It did not import the latest item in the feed. Just like all the other ones I've tried. It appears others are having this problem with the mod. Maybe eventually this mod will be taken back up or my coding skills will catch up and I can figure out why it stops looping before it creates a new thread from the newest item in a feed? For now, I just won't get the very newest item in feeds into a thread automatically. A little annoying since I like to provide the latest news but not the end of the world. Thanks for trying to help.

snyperthugs

has ANYBODY found a fix for the [htm l]  [ / ht ml] tags?  I have to go in everyday and manually place them there  I am using smf 1.1.12
www.4mydjs.com - Get Your Music Heard!

Biology Forums

Will pay 10 dollars if someone can code this so that the mod actually obeys the specific boards permission where it states: Makes new replies and topics raise members' post counts.

This way, the user chosen to automatically post the feeds does not increase in their person post count!

AND, the posts that the member makes goes towards to total forum posts and topics in the forum history.

Send paypal email upon completion.

djkimmel

Quote from: snyperthugs on January 30, 2012, 01:39:24 AM
has ANYBODY found a fix for the [htm l]  [ / ht ml] tags?  I have to go in everyday and manually place them there  I am using smf 1.1.12

I get those tags in my feeds by checking the  tags in my new posts by having the 'HTML Enabled' box checked on the feeds I want it. I'm mostly using feeds that only have text and a link or two in them. I also changed the code to decode tags as suggested earlier in this thread and I'm careful which source feeds I will use. Mine are pretty limited.

luuuciano

I liked the other mod, where you can setup a non existen member to be the news poster... it was an interesting option I think
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Biology Forums

Quote from: luuuciano on January 30, 2012, 10:04:19 PM
I liked the other mod, where you can setup a non existen member to be the news poster... it was an interesting option I think

It bothers me how poorly these things are looked after. >:(

snyperthugs

Quote from: djkimmel on January 30, 2012, 04:18:23 PM

I get those tags in my feeds by checking the  tags in my new posts by having the 'HTML Enabled' box checked on the feeds I want it. I'm mostly using feeds that only have text and a link or two in them. I also changed the code to decode tags as suggested earlier in this thread and I'm careful which source feeds I will use. Mine are pretty limited.

But when I altered the code like stated... none of my feeds work

www.4mydjs.com - Get Your Music Heard!

mageguild

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 10, 2012, 05:06:21 PM
Your SSI.php has duplicate code causing an issue.

I have done some further testing with this and it appears that the cronrss.php file keeps giving an error for every function in the SSI.php. 

I have made no changes within the SSI.php file or any other changes to this mod and it still have not worked for me. 

Can you or anyone provide some feedback on how to get this working?

IchBin™

Perhaps you could post the results of your testing, maybe even show the errors you saw? That would help others to help you figure out the problem. Giving no information doesn't help at all though.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

djkimmel

Quote from: snyperthugs on January 31, 2012, 01:37:12 AM
Quote from: djkimmel on January 30, 2012, 04:18:23 PM

But when I altered the code like stated... none of my feeds work

I only made one change. In file /Sources/Subs-RSS.php, after line 295 I added one line of code:
$msg_body = html_entity_decode($msg_body,ENT_QUOTES);

I'm still using SMF 1.1.16 but I believe it appeared the same change would work in the version 2 of the same file if you find that line in the 'if ($feed['html'])' loop. I'm using feeds that don't have xml errors from trusted sources.

Scorpii

I've just set this up with smf 2.0.2, seems to be working about 90%.. Almost perfect! It installed fine, and I chmodded the cronrss.php file via ftp to 755, which I confirmed by directly accessing the file through my web browser. Then I set up a cron job via cp to go off every 2 minutes, actually fairly easy, just google 'run a php file using a cron job'. Next I added some bots with feeds, using admin accounts for posting, and then enabled html for admins. Next I used the fix from Sinistercat's earlier post on pg 115 replacing 'smcFunc db escape string' in Subs-RSS2.php, which solved the problem of the posts displaying incorrectly. Finally, and after a bit of confusion, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I seem to have figured out the update times.. I set each bot's amount of items to get to 1, then set each bot's update times to roughly however often it's feed puts a new item up.  Using the cron job calling every 2 minutes means that every 2 minutes the cronrss.php checks if there is a new item in each bot's feed then if so lets it post. The only thing is if say the bot updates every 60 mins and there is no new item in the feed, then I sometimes get a duplicate post, but meh no biggie, that's 1% of my remaining problem. So, after fruitlessly searching this thread backwards in time until my version of smf wasn't even dreamed of, I have to ask - Please can somebody tell me how to get the full feed posts to display? Why is it cut off? f I'm lucky I might get a picture in the first bit of feed displayed but not often. If the full post displayed this mod would be perfect!

luuuciano

Which feed are you using?
If the feed have not that information the mod can not guess it...

There is another mod... feeder? do not remember... that let you grab full contents, but you have to understand about regex's, etc
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Scorpii

I've tried about 6 or 7 different feeds, ign, steam, g4tv, gametrailers, pcgaming.. i've been pulling feeds all day and have yet to have a video posted as well.. I've downloaded the other feed poster, but not sure if it's compatible with 2.0.2 and if I can install both mods at once..

edit: Guess maybe it is the feeds.. i've only been able to find one feed that will actually post a video and not just a link at hxxp:gametrailers.com/rss/embeds.xml [nonactive] but it doesn't seem to work properly..

vbgamer45

Quote from: shuban on January 30, 2012, 03:57:39 PM
Will pay 10 dollars if someone can code this so that the mod actually obeys the specific boards permission where it states: Makes new replies and topics raise members' post counts.

This way, the user chosen to automatically post the feeds does not increase in their person post count!

Did the first part for update.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

vbgamer45

RSS Feed Poster Update

!Fixed html characters posted in SMF 2.0 thanks to Sinistercat
!Do not increase post counts in boards that do not count posts
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Biology Forums

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 31, 2012, 08:47:09 PM
RSS Feed Poster Update

!Fixed html characters posted in SMF 2.0 thanks to Sinistercat
!Do not increase post counts in boards that do not count posts

Without reinstalling the whole thing vbgamer45, could you tell me which file you made the edits in to fix the issue (!Do not increase post counts in boards that do not count posts)

Thank you.

Biology Forums

I'm assuming it's in Subs-RSS.php, made some of the changes myself, let's see if it works.

WORKED

Now to fix the forum history stats

Anyone :)

Advertisement: