News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Privacy! (Please Help A Worried User!)

Started by davewinfield, October 10, 2008, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewinfield

Hello all,

Well I just got IP-banned from a forum with no due cause. The Admin of the site was long known as an abusive, dictatorial type; I can't think of any way I violated forum rules, besides politely asking for one of my posts to be deleted.
I'm hurt with the indignity of not being able to communicate with friends I made in the forum. But on the other hand, I'm glad to be away from that churl.

Now what I'm really concerned about is my privacy... this Admin is completely unpredictable and unstable...I fear for the safety of my information. Because I was a noob  ::) I initially registered using my home email address, which contains part of my name (which luckily is Asian, so is fairly common!!) and age. Two days later I smartened up and edited my profile to show a dummy email address.  (I hid both addresses from the general community of course). As for my posts, I don't exactly remember what I wrote on most of them... But I had deleted some posts that I thought were too private.

Basically my question is, how concerned should I be about the Admin's ability to access any of my sensitive information? When he banned me, did he effectively delete all trace of me? Does he still have access to the posts that were deleted?

And finally, like I said above I changed my email address very quickly after registering... and used a dummy one throughout my time there...does he still know my original address?

Wow, thanks you guys for reading this. I'm really troubled right now. Any thoughts or experiences would really help me out.

genieuk

Answer to question 1)
Did you read the Terms & Conditions / Privacy Policy?
If i ban a member on my forum i delete there details as they certainly no good to me. I very doubt that the previous email address is kept, they certainly not on my forum, once it changed it changed unless he has a mod of course.

------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to Question 2)
Any posts you created are kept even if he removed you from his forum (deleted your account) unless after so many days etc he removes old posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has there forum setup differently and the best person to ask is the Forum owner themselves. Nobody can truthfully give you a definate answer to any of your questions, the answers i gave are possible not definate.

You have a right to know what he does and whether he keeps your information. Send a polite email.

Mathew

Deprecated

davewinfield

Quote from: genieuk on October 11, 2008, 10:54:57 AM
Answer to question 1)
Did you read the Terms & Conditions / Privacy Policy?
If i ban a member on my forum i delete there details as they certainly no good to me. I very doubt that the previous email address is kept, they certainly not on my forum, once it changed it changed unless he has a mod of course.

------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to Question 2)
Any posts you created are kept even if he removed you from his forum (deleted your account) unless after so many days etc he removes old posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has there forum setup differently and the best person to ask is the Forum owner themselves. Nobody can truthfully give you a definate answer to any of your questions, the answers i gave are possible not definate.

You have a right to know what he does and whether he keeps your information. Send a polite email.

Mathew

Thanks guys this is all quite reassuring! I hope this Admin is as sensible as you are! 

BEst regards-Dave

Advertisement: