News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.9

Started by ST Dog, November 26, 2023, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST Dog

My hosting provider just updated software and broke my SMF 1.1.21 forum.
They won't reinstall php 5.6.

I had previously tried to update to 2.0 and never could get it to work.

So I'm back trying again.

I have a duplicate forum for testing. Using Softaculous the update to 2.1.4 won't even start.

Trying to go to 2.0.9 gets me to upgrade.php

After logging in and setting options I click to continue to step 3 and get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$upgradeData' (T_VARIABLE) in /home/cadillac/public_html/misfits2/Settings.php on line 69
That line appears to be added by the upgrade script as part of the upgradeExit() function.

As long as it's there upgrade.php gives that error.

revert to the back up and it loads and get to step 3 again with the same error.

So reverted and tried the 2.0.1 large upgrade. Extracting that screwed up the file owners.
(my bad, I haven't used tar in a while)

While I try to get that resolved, any one know what the problem might be with the Softaculous upgrade?

Kindred

1- don't use Softaculous or any auto system. Only use smf's upgrade package.

2- don't go to 2.0.1 - it won't work.  It does but have support for modern php either.
You MUST go to 2.0.19 or 2.1.4.

3- if the stupid autosystem inserted lines into Settings.php,  then you will have to remove them
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Diego Andrés

Are we all talking about 2.0.19 and it's just a typo, right??
Also I agree with the suggestion of going to 2.1.4.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Steve

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 26, 2023, 05:35:27 PMAlso I agree with the suggestion of going to 2.1.4.
Agreed. If you're going to make such a drastic change, you might as well go all the way to the most versatile and secure version.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: ST Dog on November 26, 2023, 03:58:11 PMI have a duplicate forum for testing. Using Softaculous the update to 2.1.4 won't even start.

In what way it didn't start? As mentioned above, the best way to perform a large upgrade would be to do it manually. For more info please see this link:

Upgrading SMF

ST Dog

Quote from: Kindred on November 26, 2023, 04:47:41 PM1- don't use Softaculous or any auto system. Only use smf's upgrade package.

Well the host provider suggested that route as their "supported" method. Then it didn't work.

Quote2- don't go to 2.0.1 - it won't work.  It does but have support for modern php either.
You MUST go to 2.0.19 or 2.1.4.

So 1.1.21 to 2.1.x is supported?

I thought I needed 2.0.x first

Quote3- if the stupid autosystem inserted lines into Settings.php,  then you will have to remove them

The upgrade.php script from SMF added the line.
Same just happened when I tried 2.0.18 (before I saw the replies here)

I'll try with 2.1.4 then.

ST Dog

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on November 27, 2023, 04:55:40 AM
Quote from: ST Dog on November 26, 2023, 03:58:11 PMI have a duplicate forum for testing. Using Softaculous the update to 2.1.4 won't even start.

In what way it didn't start? As mentioned above, the best way to perform a large upgrade would be to do it manually. For more info please see this link:

I clicked the upgrade to 2.1.4 button, it did it's "Checking the submitted data" and it said wrong version.

I'll just apply the the upgrade package manually.

ST Dog

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 26, 2023, 05:35:27 PMAre we all talking about 2.0.19 and it's just a typo, right??

Possibly.

I was frustrated at the time...

ST Dog

Ok so I tried 2.1.4.

Step 4: Database Changes
Error:
Table 'cmf2.smf_im_recipients' doesn't exist

The database has backup_smf_pm_recipients

was this changed somewhere that I'm missing?

Edit:
I see that table being created by upgrade_1-0.sql
Not sure when that should have been done.

Diego Andrés

Quote from: ST Dog on November 27, 2023, 05:01:24 PMTable 'cmf2.smf_im_recipients' doesn't exist

I couldn't find information about this issue besides very old topics.
I do see that this table doesn't exist in 1.1.x afaik, but it did exist in 1.0.x.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge about the upgrades can provide insight.
Maybe @shawnb61 or @Sesquipedalian ?

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

ST Dog

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 27, 2023, 05:10:25 PM
Quote from: ST Dog on November 27, 2023, 05:01:24 PMTable 'cmf2.smf_im_recipients' doesn't exist

I couldn't find information about this issue besides very old topics.
I do see that this table doesn't exist in 1.1.x afaik, but it did exist in 1.0.x.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge about the upgrades can provide insight.
Maybe @shawnb61 or @Sesquipedalian ?

looks like upgrade_1-1.sql renames the TABLE instant_messages to personal_messages and im_recipients to pm_recipients.

Several other changes that appear to be part of a change from instant messages to personal messages.

Not sure what to do at the error screen though.
I can't continues or anything else. Reloading the page gives same result.

ST Dog

So I edited upgrade_1-1.sql

commented out
RENAME TABLE {$db_prefix}im_recipients
TO {$db_prefix}pm_recipients;

The got an error about the instantg_messages TABLE.
Commented that out

RENAME TABLE {$db_prefix}instant_messages
TO {$db_prefix}personal_messages;

progressing now.
Executing: "Updating attachment data..." (12 of 41 - of this script)

ST Dog

Finished Step 6: Convert to UTF-8

Conversion Complete! Click Continue to Proceed.

and I get:

<site>.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Attempting to load forum gives
Unknown character set: 'ISO-8859-1'

Edit Settings.php to use UTF-8 and it loads.

refresh the page where update.php was running and the final step loads.

click the box and all the upgrade files are deleted.

Kindred

So, it sounds like it completed.

Your problems almost definitely came from having incomplete upgrades partially completed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ST Dog

Quote from: Kindred on November 27, 2023, 11:05:01 PMSo, it sounds like it completed.

Your problems almost definitely came from having incomplete upgrades partially completed.

Not sure why upgrade_1-1.sql was running since I was on 1.1.21
Nor why it didn't fail more gracefully, or better still check that the table had already been converted.

Not a clue why I had to switch to UTF-8 either.

ST Dog

And a new issue.

The test site looked OK yesterday then the server went down and I couldn't connect.

The host fixed that and now I can't login to the forum.

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function password_verify() in <dir>/Sources/Subs-Auth.php on line 935

password_verify() appears to be a part of python. So not sure why it's broken.

Kindred

It sounds like you need  new host....

note: I assume that you mean php instead of python, since SMF does not use python.

Слaва
Украинi

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: ST Dog on November 28, 2023, 08:49:13 AMpassword_verify() appears to be a part of python. So not sure why it's broken.

password_verify() has been built in since PHP 5.5.0 if I recall it correctly. What is your precise php version?

Quote from: ST Dog on November 28, 2023, 08:49:13 AMThe test site looked OK yesterday then the server went down and I couldn't connect.

This coupled with the error you posted strongly indicates that this is a server/host related issue.

ST Dog

Quote from: Kindred on November 28, 2023, 09:11:21 AMnote: I assume that you mean php instead of python, since SMF does not use python.

Yeah. frustration again...

ST Dog

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on November 28, 2023, 09:19:28 AM
Quote from: ST Dog on November 28, 2023, 08:49:13 AMpassword_verify() appears to be a part of python. So not sure why it's broken.

password_verify() has been built in since PHP 5.5.0 if I recall it correctly. What is your precise php version?

indeed.

So the swapped the server and that had a new OS that they had tested.

They said "The new server does not run anymore php 5.6 - for this you have to tweaks your site to work with php 7.2 and newer - up to 8.2."

So all this started, without warning that they'd break things.

So yesterday I get the test forum upgraded to SMF-2.1.4 and working.

Start the main forum upgrade and the server goes down.

Finally back up and they changed the OS again. And reset PHP to 5.5.

Changed to 8.0 and the test site works, the main site finished update, and seems to work as well.

Note: 7.4 and 8.0 seem to work. 8.1 and 8.2 don't (seams to be MySql related)
Should I stick with 8.0 or use 7.4?

Another forum I help with on the same host, didn't change anything with SMF (cPanel login problem).
Broken since Sunday morning. Suddenly SMF-1.1.21 is working there.

I'm not a happy camper.

If they had just said wait for the other OS update and PHP-5.6 will be available. I wouldn't have spent 2 days on this.

Now I'm stuck with SMF-2.1.4 and it's ugly themes (but better than 2.0 at least).

Advertisement: