News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Choosing fields in the Profile

Started by sbartelski, April 11, 2024, 11:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartelski

Is there a reason why the Display Name does appear in the list of Standard Profile Fields, so it can be included on the registration form? I think that this would be a logical field to include on the form but cannot. It does appear when the member updates their profile, but it would be better at registration time.
We have a custom field for to capture their real name, but I am trying to rationalize our data. Why have a custom field when there is already a standard field?

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

Kindred

Well. If you are using display name as real name, then you have a non-standard configuration.

Most forum sites do not collect real names at all...

As for why display name is not asked for during registration -- because it defaults to the login name and only 50% of the users will change it... so, why complicate registration with more fields that won't be used by most users?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sbartelski

Thnaks for the reply. The reason is our club wanted a real name, and so the previous webmaster/admin created a custom required field. But looking at the fields available, Display Name and Title, I was wondering why they could not be assigned to the Registration form. Not critical, but a 'nice-to-have'.
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

Advertisement: