News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Transfer a Ning website data to SMF

Started by spottedhog, April 22, 2010, 08:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spottedhog

I just got asked this question and I have zero "Ning website" experience.  Can anyone fill me in so I know a little more?

thanks in advance...

Norv

Hello there,
There is no converter from Ning data, and in fact I'm not sure what data is that, apart from seeing on their site that they allow downloading members as a cvs file. (only members I've noticed, not sure what else they offer.)
Being a managed solution, they don't give direct access to the database (while our converters need to read from a database and import it into SMF), which means that you're in a little some manual work - to get the data from them, as files, and, probably, to import these files in a database. Then a converter as we have may be written, to grab them into a new SMF installation.)

If you want, you can ask for a converter here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/converter_request.php
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

spottedhog

thanks for you quick reply...  I had thought what you said was what I saw in a quickie look. 

If there is a CSV file, then that could be manipulated, but maybe not worth the time spent versus what the group may be willing to pay. 

thanks again...

Norv

There's a cvs file, it seems, but for members only (so I saw, I could be wrong).

I don't think it should be expensive. If we (Simple Machines Team) make it, it's free anyway. But it could, or not, take a while...
If you wish to request to hire someone, you can do so in the Help Wanted board here.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: