Volume of spam-related topics and posts...

Started by MrPhil, June 25, 2011, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

I've noticed that a good deal of both the 1.x and 2.x boards are taken up dealing with spam-related issues: complaining about spammers, asking what can be done about them, etc., etc. Other support issues seem to be getting lost in all the din.

My proposal is to separate out the spam/anti-spam material into new boards (or at least, child boards for the existing 1.x and 2.x support boards). Hopefully a whole new category isn't needed. Consolidating all spam-related stuff will hopefully reduce the volume of "I'm being innundated by spammers! What can I do about it?" posts by people who refuse to search.

Would TPTB consider doing this? If it's successful, perhaps mod installation/removal/error issues could follow in the same manner. Those are also drowning out less frequently encountered issues.

Miles Marshall

I to have been noticing the amount of spam topics that have been discussed. It's being overwelmed and the amount of support topics are being drowned out by them. I would agree seperating these or someone writting up a good FAQ in order to fix there issues.
Need Computer Help? Just want to chat? Come on over! http://www.geekinc.org
"I tried to fix the world but they wouldn't give me the source code"

-Miles

busterone

Moving spam related topics to a child board is an excellent idea. There has been a wave of those topics recently. I am sure that they will calm down eventually, but it is almost certain that the spammers will regroup and hit in waves again in the future, causing more of these topics.

Kindred

on the other hand - since most people apparently can't be bothered to post in the correct area anyway, it'll just add more work for the team and more "topic moved" topics... lol

Not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out the obvious flaw...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

busterone

Masterd

At least you can give it a shot and see what will happen.

Advertisement: