PHPBB2 to SMF - Almost worked.. Almost!

Started by mistermisfit, April 15, 2005, 08:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistermisfit

I have tried to convert my PHPBB2 board to SMF using the converter.  everything works, EXCEPT, it will only import 500 members..  Everyone after a certain date appears as a GUEST.  my board has 850 members.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to the problem?  ;)

[Unknown]

Interesting.  Exactly 500, you say?

Would you be willing to let me test the converter for you?  The reason 500 is so "special" is that members are converted in blocks of 500.  If the second block gave an error, that might be why it failed.

-[Unknown]

mistermisfit

Yeah, you can have a go no problem.. I sent you a mail just there.

Cheers

ThomasJ

Im having the exact same problem.

In my case only 1500 of 1884 users gets converted, yet the script gives no errors whatsoever.
I havent looked too much at the actual script yet, but i did find a part of the code that says
"if less than 500 rows returned, break."
Whoops! Did i break that?

chipster

I'm an SMF convert from phpBB2 as well.  We have a pretty small forum, only 34 members, and it only imported 5 of them.  Weird since that's not even close to 500.   

winnet

try again
I converted a phpBb forum who has at that time >6150 users and the converter always stoped at user no. 6017
I tryed 7 times with same result in error, the 8th times works just fine, no error.
Try add another one or two user, something is wrong with that converter and makes him works wierd.

ThomasJ

Would be nice if someone responsible could take a look at the converter as there are obviously some issues with it.
Would also be very nice if either [Unknown] or the thread starter actually updated this thread since it seems the support moved into private, unless of course the issue couldnt be resolved, in which case it still would be nice to know.

At present im pretty much stuck twiddling my thumbs, i dont do php myself, and i have more important things to do than try to fix a broken converter script. At this point im considering simply not bothering converting and waiting for phpBB3 instead, i know their upgrade script will work at least.

chipster

Seems to me that since you're a charter member, you have other options...

QuoteSupport Services
Charter Members have paid support included with their membership which offers priority support through our online helpdesk. The Simple Machines Support Team staffs the helpdesk. This means you will get private, one-on-one help without having to post in the public support forums.

ThomasJ

While true that i could open a private ticket, that still wont let others know about the possible solutions or workarounds, or better yet the cause. It just shouldnt be neccecary when there is already a public thread on the subject imo :)

IchBin™

Well it sounds to me like it something to do with your database. I converted a forum for a friend that had over 700 users with absolutely no problems with the converter. I also converted mine, but I only have about 300 users.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

mistermisfit

Unknown sent me a couple of versions of the converter,  the last one he sent worked perfectly!

So I`m a happy chappy  ;)

ThomasJ

Quote from: mistermisfit on April 27, 2005, 06:14:51 PM
Unknown sent me a couple of versions of the converter,  the last one he sent worked perfectly!

So I`m a happy chappy  ;)

Sounds great :)

Ive been playing around some more, and the old script definately chokes on something.
So far i have had 2 successfull converts (database unchanged in terms of users) and 7 failed attempts on the same system.
Im thinking the converter script simply has a case of PMS ;)

Advertisement: