News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Undecided and unsure. Want to install RC3.

Started by 4b11l, June 01, 2010, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4b11l

Hello all SMF members and staff,

I've been unsure lately and have read a lot of threads here on the fact of upgrading or updating. I've found a lot of good info but still am unsure.

I know the difference between the upgrade and update package, however it seems that the majority of the people that assist other people such as me recommend the upgrade package rather than the update package even though I am running RC2. What is the reason on this and why would someone rather I guess, semi start fresh with mods and what not with the upgrade package rather than just update the forum.

I have other questions, but I hope to get a response on this first as my next questions will probably tie into the answer. Thanks.

Kays

Hi, since this is from RC2 you can use either. The update package contains only the files which have been changed while the large upgrade package contains all of the files required. Out of habit, I think that most people tend to use the large upgrade package.

However either way you should uninstall all mods and then reinstall them. Most will reinstall without problem. But a few might need to be updated. It is also recommended that the RC3 version of any custom themes be reinstalled.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Advertisement: