News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

A couple questions about themes/color adjustments/logo

Started by 2yearsinvegas, July 26, 2012, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2yearsinvegas

We've got SMF setup to our satisfaction as far as function, and now we're ready to adjust what we've got to have it fit in with our "parent" website scheme. We started out with a theme that doesn't appear to be very easily revised due to a lot of color gradients, so we're considering replacing that with an existing theme that is more solid colors.

So the first question is, what's the easy way to replace our original theme with another? We're open to replacing the theme if it allows us to more easily accomplish the revisions we need. Our target theme is number 2011 and we'll be revising what we have here at our board http://losangelesbillsbackers.com/bisontalk/index.php [nofollow]

Secondarily we will want to adjust the blue in this theme to match the blue in our website.

Lastly we will want to insert our logo.

Any help in tying this all up would be greatly appreciated-

kat

Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 26, 2012, 11:17:25 AM

So the first question is, what's the easy way to replace our original theme with another?

Do you mean "How do I install a new theme"?

If so...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Themes_and_Layout#Install_a_New_Theme

Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 26, 2012, 11:17:25 AMSecondarily we will want to adjust the blue in this theme to match the blue in our website.

The theme's colours are shown in Hex format, in the theme's index.css file, which is in the "css" directory.

Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 26, 2012, 11:17:25 AMLastly we will want to insert our logo.

That's a little easier :)

Admin>Current theme>Logo image URL:

Hope that helps, a bit, at least.

NanoSector

Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 26, 2012, 11:17:25 AM
Secondarily we will want to adjust the blue in this theme to match the blue in our website.
This would be harder to achieve, as the colours are set in both images and CSS.

If you're fine with both editing CSS stylesheets, and editing images, this will be no problem but if you're not (like me ;D) that can be a problem when changing colours.
* Yoshi2889 is looking forward to SMF 2.1 which implements CSS3, so everything is set with CSS
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

kat

Ah, yeah! I forgot about the images!

Good finkin', Yosh!

2yearsinvegas

OK- We've got the color adjusted in the CSS but I'm not exactly sure about the logo. Right now the pages have "My Community" as a default and I can't locate where that's coming from. I want to eliminate that "My Community" and put our logo in there. I have uploaded the logo to the host server but I don't find the path you suggest Admin/Current Theme/Logo Image. Are you using the latest version, which is what I presume I downloaded?

Thanks for the pointers-

kat

The logo URL thing IS on that page. (Admin>current theme). It's in the fifth section down.

The "My community" thing is in Admin>Server setting, right at the top.

2yearsinvegas

If I'm understanding you, the 5th item down is:

This theme's images URL

and into that folder I have put the logo I want to use. Now I just have to figure out how to add it onto the home page?

On the "My Community" thing, it appears that the server setting you're talking about is "Forum Title", which we have already set to our forum name. That forum title does already appear, but it's under the "My Community" text.

Antechinus

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on July 26, 2012, 04:24:50 PM
* Yoshi2889 is looking forward to SMF 2.1 which implements CSS3, so everything is set with CSS

No,  not eveything wil be done with CSS3. There will still be some use of images in default. However, anyone who wants to do it all with CSS3 can do that, just as they can in 2.0.x.

kat

Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 30, 2012, 06:47:31 PM

This theme's images URL

and into that folder I have put the logo I want to use. Now I just have to figure out how to add it onto the home page?

Let's assume you have an image entitled "logo.gif".

If you upload that logo to the root of your forum (Where Settings.php is), you can put this in that box:

http://losangelesbillsbackers.com/bisontalk/logo.gif

NanoSector

Quote from: Antechinus on July 30, 2012, 06:55:38 PM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on July 26, 2012, 04:24:50 PM

No,  not eveything wil be done with CSS3. There will still be some use of images in default. However, anyone who wants to do it all with CSS3 can do that, just as they can in 2.0.x.
I didn't mean everything but a whole lot of items have components removed or redone to work with CSS3, like main_block.png afaiaa.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

2yearsinvegas

Quote from: K@ on July 31, 2012, 05:31:48 AM
Quote from: 2yearsinvegas on July 30, 2012, 06:47:31 PM

This theme's images URL

Let's assume you have an image entitled "logo.gif".

If you upload that logo to the root of your forum (Where Settings.php is), you can put this in that box:

http://losangelesbillsbackers.com/bisontalk/logo.gif [nofollow]

You've got us set up thanks so much for your help. Thanks to everyone for their direction-

2yearsinvegas

We're good on the appearance and now we're getting into the operational details. We have some built in mandatory fields for registration- we'd like to add this to "mandatory" if possible:

"Provide either a Facebook link to your personal Facebook page or a photo of yourself"

Any direction is greatly appreciated-

kat

Why make it mandatory?

What if someone wants to register and they're not on Facebook? (Like me, for instance)

Advertisement: