News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

" " keeps appearing on post pages

Started by Existant, April 22, 2011, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Existant

Good morning all,

SMF version: 2.0 RC5
Tinyportal: 1.102
Theme: Blackhead
Browser: Firefox 4

So, for some reason, whenever I read a post using Firefox, in the top left hand corner of the screen I get  and it pushes all my pictures of the theme and what not down, so they are all misaligned.  But it's only when reading an actual post, not when browsing threads and what not, or looking at the forums home page.

Look at forum home page - fine
click on a category - fine
click in to an actual post to read it - whammo, that's then it happens.

Now, I have tried duplicating this with Internet Explorer, but it doesn't happen with IE, only Firefox.

Any and all of your help is greatly appreciated, I would like to have it stop doing this.

Thanks

kat

I'm suspecting a file, in that theme's directory, that doesn't have

<?php

as the first line, or

?>

as the last line.

Kays

Hi, download Display.template.php from that theme, or the one from the default theme if there's isn't one. Open it with a text editor and check that the page encoding is ANSI and not UTF-8. This is usually shown in the bottom info bar. Change it to ANSI if it's UTF-8 and if your editor will allow you to.

If you can't check or change it please attach that file to a post. Take a look at Display.php in the Sources folder if it's not the theme file.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Existant

Hello again, I opened the file in Notepad but don't see what you are talking about in regards to ANSI or UTF-8, so it's attached.

Thank you

Kays

Notepad is too limited. And you shouldn't be using something like Wordpad or Word.

Although I don't use it Notepad++ seems to be a very popular text editor. I use several others. For this PSPad.

Try this file. It was encoded as UTF-8 and has been corrected.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Existant

Kays

My Mods

Kays

Thanks. I've seen this before and strangely enough, it was also in Display.template.php. Only other difference I can see in this file is a few extra blank lines.

Existant, did you edit this file at one time?

My Mods

kat

SlammedDime

Note that What is file_check.php? will also help determine if a file has UTF8 With BOM (which is exactly what those characters are, the BOM markings).
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

MrPhil

For the uninitiated, "BOM" is "Byte Order Mark", a sequence of three specific characters that mark a file as UTF-8 encoded. Microsoft seems to think that any file containing UTF-8 characters, or even just files edited on a PC with that setting, should get this mark, even though it plays havoc with Web pages. Remove it wherever you see it -- it's not necessary for any function.

Advertisement: