News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

postimage.org link missing ???

Started by cachimbo.pt, December 17, 2011, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cachimbo.pt

Hi,

I'm starting a forum with SMF 2.01, this is the 1st time I'm using this software so I'm sure I've done something wrong.

I managed to "lost" the text link that says "Add image to post" that uses hxxp:postimage.org [nonactive].

The problem is that I have no idea about what I can have done, I've been playing with a lot of settings so I can't even say what I've changed in order to "lost" that link. In my defense I can only say that I haven't change any file by hand. :-)

Can you help me ? That link is much easier for the normal user, I will write up some instructions to teach them to use an image server like ImageShack but most of them are not tech people so I know they'll just ignore it.

I notice that this forum don't have that link, so I hope it's just a simple setting that I turned off.

Thanks in advance...

TheListener

Have you looked at your bbc settings?

Admin > Forum > Posts and topics> Bulletin Board Code.

Not sure what you mean by postimage.org

There is a mod which adds a photobucket box to your posting section.

CyprusGrump

Quote from: cachimbo.pt on December 17, 2011, 05:48:33 PM
Hi,

I'm starting a forum with SMF 2.01, this is the 1st time I'm using this software so I'm sure I've done something wrong.

I managed to "lost" the text link that says "Add image to post" that uses postimage.org.

The problem is that I have no idea about what I can have done, I've been playing with a lot of settings so I can't even say what I've changed in order to "lost" that link. In my defense I can only say that I haven't change any file by hand. :-)

Can you help me ? That link is much easier for the normal user, I will write up some instructions to teach them to use an image server like ImageShack but most of them are not tech people so I know they'll just ignore it.

I notice that this forum don't have that link, so I hope it's just a simple setting that I turned off.

Thanks in advance...

Go to postimage.org

Click the link that says 'add image hosting to your forum' and download the appropriate file.

Then in your board admin go to packages and install the new file.
I suppose I should put something in my signature shouldn't I?

cachimbo.pt

Thanks CyprusGrump your post have set me on the right track. It turned out that hxxp:postimage.org [nonactive] comes from a mod, Simple Image Upload, so I'm posting in the wrong place, but it happens that my problem is permission related, it looks that my vsftpd config is not ok so the package manager isn't doing it's job ok.

I'm running the web server with user apache, group apache.

Can you tell me what should be the correct ownership and permissions of the main dirs ?

Maybe I should just chown -R apache:apache down from the install dir, but I fear that it will open the forum to any hijacker.

With this info I've been able to re-install the Simple Image Upload mod and it looks to be working ok.

CyprusGrump

Quote from: cachimbo.pt on December 18, 2011, 06:52:01 AM
Thanks CyprusGrump your post have set me on the right track. It turned out that postimage.org comes from a mod, Simple Image Upload, so I'm posting in the wrong place, but it happens that my problem is permission related, it looks that my vsftpd config is not ok so the package manager isn't doing it's job ok.

I'm running the web server with user apache, group apache.

Can you tell me what should be the correct ownership and permissions of the main dirs ?

Maybe I should just chown -R apache:apache down from the install dir, but I fear that it will open the forum to any hijacker.

With this info I've been able to re-install the Simple Image Upload mod and it looks to be working ok.

Excellent!
I suppose I should put something in my signature shouldn't I?

Advertisement: