News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Can ssi work like this?

Started by pdubz, November 03, 2009, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdubz

remember im very new to this. looking in the mods i see that there is a sub that makes the title bar with the links. Home, help, search ext.. now is there a way that i can pull certain parks like just those links and put them in a custom spot of my header that i made in photo shop? then target the links to make the forum load in a separate div?   Im looking for a new answers here.  i understand how the php works and pulls things like mods that make up things that show on the website.  If i make my own home page.php with my custom header can ssi just pull those links and make them show up where i went them how i want them?  if so how is this done?  can i call certain parks of the forum its self and make it show up on my site the way i want it to look with the css?  what are easy methods of doing these.  are there websites that show u how to do this more indep then this one.  these are the answer's im looking for.  i dont like the them. i just want to interact with my own site.

Kays

Hi, sorry for the slow reply.

The basic answer to most of your questions is yes. Some if it will depend on your comfort level with php. But there's quite a bit which can be done with SSI.php

As for information on how to do it. I'm not aware of any specific website with tutorials and such. But the following links should get you started and if you have any specific coding question ask them in the SMF Coding Discusion board. Replies should be quicker there.

SSI Readme
How to use the SMF user system outside of SMF
How do I integrate SMF into my PHP coded website?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

pdubz

if you take this site mmo-champion.com [nofollow] and break it down, how was this site made using smf?  did he pull ssi? what theme did he use. how did he customize the header like that.

Kays

The best person to ask is the site owner.

From what I can see he's using a portal to put it together. On the top it looks like he's using ssi_recentPosts and ssi_recntTopics. And the main display underneath is ssi_boardNews.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

pdubz

so basically from what i understand.  you can just make your own css layout, add your own content.  then you can just ssi inserts?  also if you want to change the way the ssi inserts look like, you just go in the folder and edit the css. correct?  also another thing,  do i need to know a lot of knowledge of how the api n such works now or can i just get the ssi inserts and css down first?  i get the basics and how to look at the code, but as far as making my own layout yet im still digging for more info before i really get into it.  every post ive posted here you guys have always been helpful.  i hope this can be answered the way im looking for ;)

Kays

so basically from what i understand.  you can just make your own css layout, add your own content.  then you can just ssi inserts?

Basically, yes.

If you decide to go with a portal, then it will handle the styling for you.

also if you want to change the way the ssi inserts look like, you just go in the folder and edit the css. correct?

Yes if you are using your own style sheets and wish to change the colour etc. You can also change the layout of a ssi function by outputting it as an array.

do i need to know a lot of knowledge of how the api n such works now or can i just get the ssi inserts and css down first?

Not really. The main thing you need to know is how to display the output. There plenty of topics and examples in the SMF Coding Discusion board. If you do require help with specific questions you can post there for assistance.

My Mods

pdubz

thanks buddy, big help.  i hate to post too much and seem like a total noob, then get people pissed off at me. imma mess around with it for a few days, see how it goes.  ill keep you posted.

Kays

Everybody has to start somewhere and until one get comfortable with something, it's just one big question mark. You will find a lot of answers if you do a search. Otherwise, just ask. The following three links might be of some use to you in getting started..

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=12936.msg110970#msg110970
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=13016.msg111577#msg111577
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=13205.msg112927#msg112927

My Mods

pdubz

thanks kays!  dont call me an idiot, but the only reason why i understand half of this is because i use to be a really good visual basic coder bout 2 years ago.  the concept of strings and api and more deep stuff makes some what sense to me.  i have never touched php in my life, except little stuff here and there.  imma stick with it, i know i will get good at it.  thanks again.  another thing, when they say that going from one programming lang to another isnt that bad, i see why now.  its all the same, just different syntax.

hadesflames

Quote from: pdubz on November 21, 2009, 06:06:45 PM
its all the same, just different syntax.

For the most part, Try learning Assembly, doubt you will get it at all right off the bat XD

what's even easier is moving from languages that use similar syntax. For example The difference in syntax from Java to C/C++ is quite minimal, as they are all C-Like languages. PHP is also a C-Like language so once you get comfortable with PHP, you can give Java and C++ a shot too =P

pdubz

does this program work the same way as a visual basic module? meaning, there is multi mods w/multi subs.  the biggest thing that confuses me is, the method of calling different php files n such.  how does that syntax work?

Kays

Sorry, I don't know Visual Basic.

Take a look at the links in my last post. It will give you an idea of usage.

My Mods

pdubz

Advertisement: