News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Guest Access

Started by barry1947, May 02, 2024, 03:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry1947

Hi Team,
Is it possible to allow guest Access to view just the home page but to go no further. i.e. not to be able to see what posts are in the boards etc.
My problem is that I have a separate program that runs within the domain but without running any of the programs of the forum except SSI and if I do not allow guest access then all visitors to the separate program have to log in.
Many thanks,
Barry.

Arantor

Would enabling access to SSI but still leaving the forum restricted entirely do the trick? (It's not clear from your post if so)

Because you can enable SSI to function even if the forum is otherwise disabled to guests by way of $ssi_guest_access being true before you call SSI.

Anything else requires quite large changes because it's just not designed to work that way.

Kindred

Well, you could set the guest permissions for every board to deny - but leave guest access on
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Then you'll get a board index that looks broken.

barry1947

Hi There Arantor and Kindred,
Many thanks for your views so far.
Both views offer a possible solution.
Firstly how can I use SSI but keep guest access off. That sounds like a great idea.
Secondly I did try turning guest access on but making board access off by unticking the Guests as an allowed group but guests seemed to be able to go further into the boards and read posts etc. Maybe just unticking the Guests group is not enough so what else would I need to do.
Many thanks for both of you for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Best regards and thank you both,
Barry.

Kindred

No. If guests do not have access to a board,  then they can not go into that board or view messages within that board
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

barry1947

Hi Guys,
Many thanks for your help today. It was very much appreciated.
I researched the SSI option and how I could implement that and I found the preceding variable and that worked an absolute treat without giving in to allowing guests.
My thanks once again to both of you and best regards,
Barry.

Advertisement: