Converting from Snitz Forums

Started by ukcwm, April 30, 2005, 05:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

ukcwm

Hi

Thanks for the latest attempt. I've just tried it, and I now get the following error:

Converting...
Converting messages... (this may take some time) successful.
Converting topics... Unsuccessful!
This query:
ALTER TABLE `testforum`.testforumtopics
ADD UNIQUE firstMessage (ID_FIRST_MSG, ID_BOARD),
ADD UNIQUE lastMessage (ID_LAST_MSG, ID_BOARD);
Caused the error:

Duplicate entry '0-28' for key 3

Sorry! I still have no idea what the problem is. I got the same error when I tried to manually add the extra index fields in the table. Could there be a problem with my database? Can I fix it manually if needs be somehow?

Any further ideas? :)

[Unknown]

ukcwm

Hi

Thanks for the latest...unfortunately this time the system returned the following error:

Converting...
Converting messages... (this may take some time) successful.
Converting topics... Unsuccessful!
This query:
ALTER TABLE `testforum`.testforumtopics
ADD UNIQUE firstMessage (ID_FIRST_MSG, ID_BOARD),
ADD UNIQUE lastMessage (ID_LAST_MSG, ID_BOARD);
Caused the error:

Duplicate entry '0-12' for key 3

Is there any more info I could provide you with to help? I feel a bit useless! At least this time it was only 'Duplicate entry '0-12' for key 3' and not 'Duplicate entry '0-28' for key 3' - hopefully it's a step in the right direction?!

Thank you for your help :)

[Unknown]

Okay, you do have a few broken topics in your database... but it should be able to work around that.

Try this one.

-[Unknown]

ukcwm

WOW!!!!!!! I think you may have cracked it...it's made it all the way through the conversion (didn't take very long - just a few seconds for the 15,000 posts that are there (is this normal?)

I will now check it more carefully, and see if it's stable enough - should I be looking for anything in particular that might have been missed?

Also, do you know if your converter brings over the passwords and user details for members securely? Radianation implied that you have to do a lot of manual work to get members passowrds across. If that's the case I might just get everyone to re-register. Will there be any security problems with the imported data? Does it matter that there were some broken topics which you managed to bypass?

I'm afraid I also have two further requests - but I'm hoping they are much easier! I wish to also import some forums from another SMF database which is held on the same server, can I do this without rubbing over anything we've just done?

Sorry about all the questions! I think we are very nearly there. Hats off to you...thank you for all your help, this could get me out of a big problem with moving servers. I appreciate your hard work. :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: ukcwm on May 09, 2005, 06:57:40 PM
I will now check it more carefully, and see if it's stable enough - should I be looking for anything in particular that might have been missed?

You may have less topics now...

Also, do you know if your converter brings over the passwords and user details for members securely? Radianation implied that you have to do a lot of manual work to get members passowrds across. If that's the case I might just get everyone to re-register. Will there be any security problems with the imported data? Does it matter that there were some broken topics which you managed to bypass?

No, you just need the package that does the password conversion on the fly automatically.  Specifically, upload this file:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15551.0;attach=2196

Into your "Packages" directory and install it with the package manager.  You can use the "forgot password" feature to get to your account so you can do this.  For more information:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=15551.0

QuoteI'm afraid I also have two further requests - but I'm hoping they are much easier! I wish to also import some forums from another SMF database which is held on the same server, can I do this without rubbing over anything we've just done?

I'm afraid nothing is yet available to MERGE two SMF forums without overwriting one entirely.  I have something in the works but it's not nearly done.

-[Unknown]

ukcwm

Thanks for the reply.

I can live with loosing a few topics in favour of keeping the majority :)

I'll have a go at installing the passwords as you've suggested - will all this make everything secure, as it should be on the SMF forums for people to use?

I can probably copy over the other information for the other forum since it's not been running long and there's only about 30 topics and 100 posts.

It's past midnight where I am, so I will tackle these things tomorrow. Meanwhile thanks again for your prompt help :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: ukcwm on May 09, 2005, 07:08:50 PM
I'll have a go at installing the passwords as you've suggested - will all this make everything secure, as it should be on the SMF forums for people to use?

Yes.  No clear text passwords will be stored anywhere.

-[Unknown]

ukcwm

Hi

I dont' understand how to install the file for password conversion as shown above. I've downaloaded the file with .mod at the end and uploaded it into the packages directory of my new forum - but I have no idea what to do next - could you give me a step-by-step example of what to do?

I noticed also that there was a mention about topics not sorting properly...' managed to port the forum properly with only 2 minor problems.
1. Topics sorted incorrectly after porting (those with 0 replies listed first)'

Mine do not appear to be sorting properly in order by date of last post for some reason - do I need to correct anything for this to work?

It also appears that many posts dating back to last year even have been marked as new - is there a repair facility on SMF which might sort these things - or is there something else I need to do?

2 other questions while I'm here...
Is it possible for me to use the same icon (coloured circle) for my homepage as you do - rather than the simple machines logo? Is there anywhere I can find the images?

Please correct me if I'm out of line here, but is there any way I can remove the copyright line and link and version number reference to SMF which appears at the bottom of every page - do I need to pay you money to do this, or can I just do it, or must it always appear?

Thank you very much for your help :-)

[Unknown]

The file I linked to is an archive, similar to a zip.  You're supposed to take that file, most directly, without extracting any of its contents, and put it in Packages.  Exactly as it is.  Has a .tar.gz extension, not mod or xml.  Those are files inside it.

Try Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Recount all forum totals and statistics, and then Find and repair all forum errors.

Colored circle?  Eh?  Do you mean the board on/off icons?  The Simple Machines theme, which is the one used on this site but not in the distribution, and its graphics are not available for anyone else to use.

However, there are other board read/unread icons available and many themes, should you want something different.

You cannot remove the copyright.  Please read the license.  If you really must remove it, you can contact Jeff Lewis about it and negotiate how much you're willing to pay.

-[Unknown]

ukcwm

Hi thanks for your reply.

Colored circle?  Eh?  Do you mean the board on/off icons?  The Simple Machines theme, which is the one used on this site but not in the distribution, and its graphics are not available for anyone else to use.
Sorry!  I'll have a look at some of the other themes - if none fit the bill, is it OK for me to make up my own? Where would they go, if I can make my own? Can I just use the icons from another theme if I prefer?

You cannot remove the copyright.  Please read the license.  If you really must remove it, you can contact Jeff Lewis about it and negotiate how much you're willing to pay.
Ooops, very sorry! Didn't mean to sound cheeky. I thought it looked as though you were not allowed to remove copyrights from a quick scan of the license - but I thought it would just be easier to ask you rather than going through the small print in detail. I'll e-mail a link to the forum once it's up and running if you like to show that I've kept it on there. If I ever make any money from the website, I might try e-mail Jeff to negotiate a price :-)

Try Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Recount all forum totals and statistics, and then Find and repair all forum errors.
Performed these operations, but there did not seem to be any errors and the totals seemed to remain the same

the mod has said that it installed ok - at least the system is telling me it has - I haven't tested it yet. I didn't need to use
Quote'You can use the "forgot password" feature to get to your account so you can do this. '

BUT, when I try to login now, I get the following error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mhash() in /Sources/LogInOut.php on line 292

Any ideas - I can't login or anything now!?

Thank you for your continued help :-)

NoRad

It sounds like your package for the SHA256 didn't correctly patch /Sources/LogInOut.php

ukcwm

Hi

Is there anything I can do now? I can't log in to the system any more - I just get a fatal error as shown above...

Thank you for your help :-)

[Unknown]

Quote from: ukcwm on May 12, 2005, 05:09:45 PM
Sorry!  I'll have a look at some of the other themes - if none fit the bill, is it OK for me to make up my own? Where would they go, if I can make my own? Can I just use the icons from another theme if I prefer?

Of course - as long as you don't break anyone's licenses, etc... everyone's happy!  If you want to design your own, you're more than welcome to.

Performed these operations, but there did not seem to be any errors and the totals seemed to remain the same

Can you give me a link (pm if you don't want to post) so I can see which are in the wrong order?

BUT, when I try to login now, I get the following error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mhash() in /Sources/LogInOut.php on line 292

Sorry, I neglected to mention: the change requires PHP to be compiled with mhash support, such that it can check the password the way Snitz would have.  Do you think you could convince your host to change PHP to do so?

If you have cPanel, this will be *very* easy for them to do (a checkbox and a click of a button.)

-[Unknown]

ukcwm

Hi

Thanks for your latest e-mail. The forum is now live!!! My service provider compl=iled the php suggestion above - and everything seems to work...so now for the 'acid test' let the members return and see if they are able to continue where they left off  :) The signs are very good so far...several seem to have logged in.

You'll see on the index page that under 'last post' each forum shows 'Last post on...' How do I delete the 'Last post on..' bit of text as I don't think it's necessary?!

Also, is there a template for the main help pages, and if so, are we allowed to replace the simple forums logo and picture at the top with our own - or am I being cheeky again, and shouldn't even be asking?! Can I at least incorporate it into my general design?

Thank you for your help... :)

NoRad

Now go recruit more Snitz forum administrators to make the wise decision to switch.  :P

ukcwm

Hi

The forum is now live!!! My service provider compiled the php suggestion above - and everything seems to work...so now for the 'acid test' let the members return and see if they are able to continue where they left off   The signs are very good so far...several seem to have logged in.

Some users have said that the topics within each forum are not being sorted correctly in date order - I've just checked and this appears to be the case. Could this be part of the transfer process? Is there any way we can make the sorting work properly - or is it a setting I need to change?

You can view the forums at
http://www.christianweb.org.uk/forums/

You'll see on the index page that under 'last post' each forum shows 'Last post on...' How do I delete the 'Last post on..' bit of text as I don't think it's necessary?!

Also, is there a template for the main help pages, and if so, are we allowed to replace the simple forums logo and picture at the top with our own - or am I being cheeky again, and shouldn't even be asking?! Can I at least incorporate it into my general design?

Thank you for your help...  :)

[Unknown]

Do you still have your Snitz database in MySQL?  If so, do you suppose I could have access to it with phpMyAdmin?

The following query:

SELECT ft.TOPIC_ID, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(ft.T_DATE), UNIX_TIMESTAMP(fr.R_DATE)
FROM FORUM_REPLY AS fr
   LEFT JOIN FORUM_TOPICS AS ft ON (fr.TOPIC_ID = ft.TOPIC_ID)
ORDER BY fr.TOPIC_ID, fr.REPLY_ID

Is, basically, how the converter works.  I'm worried it isn't correct, from your description, because this should be the order from oldest to newest.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

I seem to recall some minor topic sorting problems with my conversion, but I thought that running the built in fix errors resolved this problem. I might be wrong as it's been awhile.

Advertisement: