News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Technical Question about Newsletter Option (table?)

Started by sbartelski, May 01, 2024, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartelski

In the member profile Notifications section, there is an option to get Newsletters, etc. In which table is this option stored. I need to know how many and who have not selected this option.

TIA

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

shawnb61

Note that the key part of "Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email." is the "by email" part...

This is where users can opt in to receiving emails from the forum - at all.  If it's checked, you can send them email.  If it's not, you can't.  Be mindful of that; you really shouldn't override their opt-in decision. 

Don't be surprised if very few have opted in.  How often do you check the "SURE! SEND ME EMAILS!" boxes?

The field is in the smf_user_alerts_prefs table, the alert_pref is 'announcements', the alert_value is 1 or 0. 

SELECT count(*) from smf_user_alerts_prefs
WHERE alert_pref = 'announcements'
AND alert_value = 1;
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

sbartelski

Thnaks so much for that quick answer. The information you give is excellent, special thanks for the SQL. I am not sure how I missed that table, I thought I had looked everywhere, however my wife always tells me it is good that I never became a detective, as I never can find things.

We are making some major changes to the access of our forums and the club board wants to know if the prior emails that we distributed have been seen by all current users. If the number opted-in is low, we may do the unthinkable and override that selection for this one critical message. I will take a backup copy of the table that I can restore afterwards.

Thnaks again
Stefan Bartelski

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can simply check the "Override notification settings" option in the advanced section when sending a newsletter. That's what it's for, so you can send out an email to everyone if it's actually required for a reason.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sbartelski

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 01, 2024, 01:02:05 PMYou can simply check the "Override notification settings" option in the advanced section when sending a newsletter. That's what it's for, so you can send out an email to everyone if it's actually required for a reason.

THANKS, that is really good news, exactly what I need. So much to learn about this software, makes my head spin sometimes.
Stefan Bartelski

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: