News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Webcomic Hosting *Service* with SMF?

Started by Motorhed, September 26, 2010, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorhed

Hi all, I think this is my first post... Can't recall, I've been lurking so long!

Anyway, I've begun creating a Webcomic Hosting service using only SMF.

I'm relying heavily on SSI, especially the Multi Board News package and also using some code I picked up here from another webcomic thread.

What I have to do is upload a page that calls the specific SSI information, every time someone will want their comic hosted.

Of course, I'm still working on it.

Each time someone wants to be hosted, I'm going to set up a board just for them. Reply Only. They can then post pages as attachments, which will be displayed on their own page which I'd be actually uploading and editing to point to the correct board.

One problem I'm running into is that I can't find a package that lets people change the date of their post.

I'd like people to be able to post a page, but have it saved as a draft until the date they entered while posting.

So if someone wants to upload a page that won't show until next week, they enter the appropriate date, and the post isn't visible until that date.

Is there any package like this?

Also, when I'm done with this, I would be more than happy to supply the code to anyone who wants to use, edit, or make a package out of it.

I'd really love it if there were some way to have the page generated via the SMF control panel when someone wants to start a comic, sort of like a user's profile would be, etc.

But I'm happy with whatever I can manage to hack together. :) Just really need to figure out how to have post-dated threads...

I can't post URLs, but is it okay if I say MRHONOR dot com is an example of my Webcomic Hosting code at work? If not, please remove this line, or let me know and I'll remove it.

Motorhed

So no interest in essentially letting SMF users each start their own "Keenspot" style website...?

Or did I not get my questions across properly? I won't bug you guys again after this, just very curious why no one would want this ability...

Motorhed

Can anyone possibly tell me how to make the "Previous 5 installments..." links load in the same page as the "previous" and "next" links do?

They're basically called via the regular SSI "boardnews" feature, with a few little edits to the SSI output.

I won't bother you guys if I don't get a reply - but since this is a new question... yeah.

Advertisement: