News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Announcing the start of SMF 3.0 development

Started by Sesquipedalian, November 05, 2023, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

Cool! Maybe we can implement such a structure in a future version once those newer browsers are more widely deployed.

Arantor

Adding a preprocessor isn't that hard. The trick is actually splitting up the theme sanely.

But then you get to pass variables in from admin without juggling things oddly - it becomes possible to do things like upload new fonts to the admin and have them be available in the editor and in posts.

The other benefit is that you can have multiple files and assemble them into a single source to send to the user.

Julius_2000

Quote from: SleePy on February 20, 2024, 10:16:16 PMCSS now has native support for &, no preprocessor.  But it's 2023 new, so fairly new support in browsers. https://caniuse.com/css-nesting https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Nesting_selector
Quote from: live627 on February 21, 2024, 12:26:58 AMCool! Maybe we can implement such a structure in a future version once those newer browsers are more widely deployed.
Yeah, that was my reasoning for asking. Last year FF enabled nesting natively and I started to test it and it worked great.

Bugo

Diego Andrés

Some of those are already in the Theme PR, definitely looking forward to other features we could utilize once the theme it's more polished.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

TaGBaN

Just confirming because SMF is widely used for forums where they're geared towards older generation computers (ones that for instance don't support HTTPS, or CSS/Java). Will 3.0 support that endeavor? I assume most if not all of the changes I'm concerned about are at the theme level, and not the core level.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: TaGBaN on February 26, 2024, 10:33:04 PMJust confirming because SMF is widely used for forums where they're geared towards older generation computers (ones that for instance don't support HTTPS, or CSS/Java). Will 3.0 support that endeavor? I assume most if not all of the changes I'm concerned about are at the theme level, and not the core level.

Since the release of SMF 2.1, our client-side requirements have been as follows:

Quote from: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.1:Requirements_and_recommendationsAny web browser that supports HTML5 and CSS3 and that is still supported by its vendor.

We currently have no plans to change that in SMF 3.0. If our client-side requirements do change before SMF 3.0 is released, we will make that information known.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Quote from: TaGBaN on February 26, 2024, 10:33:04 PMJust confirming because SMF is widely used for forums where they're geared towards older generation computers (ones that for instance don't support HTTPS, or CSS/Java). Will 3.0 support that endeavor? I assume most if not all of the changes I'm concerned about are at the theme level, and not the core level.

Failure to support HTTPS at this point in time is doing your users a disservice.

If running on HTTP only, you are putting your users at risk by the fact their password is transmitted unprotected. (2.0 used to try to protect users without HTTPS by way of using client side hashing, this is no longer done in 2.1 because the password hashing scheme is vastly more complex now.)

live627

Quote from: TaGBaN on February 26, 2024, 10:33:04 PMolder generation computers (ones that for instance don't support HTTPS, or CSS/Java).
Old text-based computers from 30 years ago and modern software mix just as well as oil and water; or, not at all.

jsx

Very good news. So, as I understand it, SMF 2.1 will be released for e.g. SMF 2.1.10 and that's it, and then SMF 3.0 comes in? And why is SMF 3.0 development now faster than SMF 2.1? I see it on github.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As always, I don't really like to predict too far in to the future.
3.0 will be ready when it's ready and generally releasing a new major version has not meant that work on the immediately previous version just completely stops. It may, and probably will, limit how much resources is put in to it, but it most likely does not mean that 2.1 is completely abandoned.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

as for being faster than 2.1 -- if you read the developers' blog posts, you'll understand.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jsx

Quote from: Kindred on February 29, 2024, 05:31:16 PMas for being faster than 2.1 -- if you read the developers' blog posts, you'll understand.

Can you give me a link to this blog?

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

spiros

I remember reading ages ago that SMF 3 was supposed to use a framework like Symfony, has that idea been dropped somewhere along the road?

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

live627

Tyrsson

PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: