News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Re: Error 500 after unistalling a mod

Started by miDnIghtEr20C, February 18, 2024, 05:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miDnIghtEr20C

I can't get on my website at all.  It's completely blank.  I'm not too techy, and this is the first time since I started this in 2009 I've had any problem.  Hopefully I can figure it out.  Thanks for the comment back.

Kindred

Please don't co-opt someone else's thread.

Godaddy probably changed something,  like your php version switch it back to 8.0 or under
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

miDnIghtEr20C

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2024, 10:27:00 PMPlease don't co-opt someone else's thread.

Godaddy probably changed something,  like your php version switch it back to 8.0 or under
I saw someone with a 500 error message thread the same time I'm having one out of the blue.  Again. I've had SMF since 2009 and doing my site. I thought maybe we had something in common and maybe there were others this weekend getting the same thing.  Sorry that it bothered you piggy backing on this thread instead of wasting peoples time with a new one.   I'm not even sure how to change my php version back.  Lol..   It's a bummer for me.  All these years having SMF and my site... although my site isn't as hot as it once was... and I don't mind that.  But it sucks seeing the site not even load up. All browsers and all that... just a blank page of nothing.   Dang.  Thanks for letting me know not to piggy back on his thread.  I'll do different next time.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: miDnIghtEr20C on February 18, 2024, 05:44:32 PMI can't get on my website at all.  It's completely blank.  I'm not too techy, and this is the first time since I started this in 2009 I've had any problem.  Hopefully I can figure it out.  Thanks for the comment back.

Can you check your server error log and post here th most recent messages logged there?

Can you also provide us some more details as your forum and php versions, what mods do you have installed and what was the latest change done to the forum prior to that error happening?

Kindred

A few things... :)

1- we prefer individual threads. Because,  quite frequently,  it's NOT the same problem,  even if it might have similar symptoms.

2- godaddy ducks bananas. Period.  You should probably try to find another host at some point.

3- thing is, a 500 error is not always the same as a blank page.  You have to look at the server error logs.

Also, a blank page or a 500 error are both server side failures.

4- do you know what mods you have installed?  Also, as Doug asked, smf version and php version
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

miDnIghtEr20C

I have bunch of mods from years back on there still.  I can't even get in my page.. nothing pops up.  I guess I'll have to go do the folders on my godaddy account... hopefully there's an error log there.     i haven't made any changes to my site in a couple years besides updating to the newest versions... 2.0. something if I'm remember correctly.   It's a bummer!

Kindred

Right, so the problem is, almost certainly,  the php version
Слaва
Украинi

miDnIghtEr20C

I don't know what to do to fix that unfortunately.

Diego Andrés

Check the server logs to find some useful information on the issue. You'll likely even see the name of the file or at least the specific problem.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: miDnIghtEr20C on February 26, 2024, 10:46:46 PMI don't know what to do to fix that unfortunately.

You can set the right php version from the Select Php tab in the cPanel.

miDnIghtEr20C

Are we talking about on the godaddy site?  I can't at all get on my site at all.... all that comes up is a blank page.  I have no options to sign in.  I did see an error log on the godaddy part that I can get in to. Should I post some of what that says?  I don't know if it shows sensitive data that I shouldn't share or whatnot.  But as far as getting into my control panel on my site... I can't access my site at all.  It just shows a blank page.  Unless there's some way to get on there and I don't know about it.

Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on February 27, 2024, 06:08:07 AMYou can set the right php version from the Select Php tab in the cPanel.
Regardless of what's happened to your forum, you should be able to log in to your GoDaddy account and access cPanel, your account control panel.  There should be an option to select php version.  If you're running SMF 2.0.19, set it for php 8.0.  If an earlier SMF version, set it for php 7.4.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

miDnIghtEr20C

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on February 28, 2024, 08:42:23 PM
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on February 27, 2024, 06:08:07 AMYou can set the right php version from the Select Php tab in the cPanel.
Regardless of what's happened to your forum, you should be able to log in to your GoDaddy account and access cPanel, your account control panel.  There should be an option to select php version.  If you're running SMF 2.0.19, set it for php 8.0.  If an earlier SMF version, set it for php 7.4.

Thanks man. I will check that out and report back.  I'm pretty sure I updated to the latest one you mentioned there.  I'll look to see where I can change the php versions.   Thank you!

Steve

@miDnIghtEr20C - you were here 6 days after your last post. Were you able to resolve this?
DO NOT pm me for support!

miDnIghtEr20C

I'm going to check it right now actually.  Like I said before, I'm not that techy... I'm hoping I don't mess it up any more than it already is.. .but I'm going for it now!  Stand by for what happens next.  Thanks again guys for all the suggestions... let me see if I can find this PHP thing on the godaddy site that has all my stuff on it.  brb!

miDnIghtEr20C

Switching the PHP didn't work.. or not work yet.  It showed that I was on PHP 5.6 when I got on.  There are options of 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2.   I tried them all... lol.. after the first 2 suggested didn't work.  Unless it takes a few minutes or something to work?  I doubt that.

I did look at an error log part on there and it says this...

"client denied by server configuration:/home/pvop0e3p5om/public_html/wp-config.php"  if there's any info in there that should be private, please a mod edit the post.

also... i believe i had the forum set on 2.1.4   i believe i just updated to it a little bit before it just went bad.   the site that is.    so weird... i've had the site going since 2009.... and now just one day... it's a blank page.  ha... sheesh!

Kindred

1- yes, it takes a few minutes for systems to acknowledge and update the php version changes made in the control panel.

2- that's a wordpress error. So that indicates that your wordpress installation is preventing access to your forum.

3- find a better host. GoDaddy may  not be the absolute worst... but they are definitely in the bottom of the pile.
Слaва
Украинi

miDnIghtEr20C

Welp... godaddy couldn't help... they said it was something in the simple machines stuff... maybe a mod or something.   i'm lost on what to do.  do i delete stuff from the file manager?  do i just start all over and somehow use one of the backups or something?    no idea.   maybe i just shut it down.. i'm clueless... has some good memories on there!  been since 2009... damn shame!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Every HTTP 500 should definitely be logged, and if it is not then your host should definitely be able and willing to fix that so that you can investigate the logs, without seeing the logs you can not know what the HTTP 500 actually is, it simply the server saying "something happened, check the logs".

IF the actual log for this is "client denied by server configuration", this is also something your host should definitely be able to check and fix for you, but I wouldn't actually trust that line to be even related - It shouldn't be related, since as mentioned it's not an SMF file.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on March 15, 2024, 09:10:41 AMfind a better host. GoDaddy may  not be the absolute worst... but they are definitely in the bottom of the pile
Personally, I'd try this. There are a number of great hosts (who will even do the move for you) with great support. We're not really supposed to recommend a particular host *cough ICDSoft cough*.

Perhaps they can resolve the server issue when they transfer your forum.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: