Importing vb3 into SMF: problems

Started by netmotiv8, March 30, 2005, 02:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netmotiv8

Hi,

I want use SMF, currently I am using vBulletin 3. I have tried to use the importer but I get this message:

"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of vBulletin 3. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it."

Both database passwords are the same and both databases are on the same server under the same hosting account.

Please help.

Neil  :)

[Unknown]

Okay, are you using cPanel or a similar interface?

The database user specified in SMF's settings (you can check them with repair_settings.php - What is repair_settings.php?) needs to have access to both databases.

So, let's say that theoretically you've got these two databases:

netmotiv8_smf  -  netmotiv8_smfuser
netmotiv8_vb3  -  netmotiv8_vb3user

This is a common set up.  In this case, netmotiv8_smfuser has access to netmotiv8_smf, and netmotiv8_vb3user has access to netmotiv8_vb3.  Even though it's your account, netmotiv8_smfuser does NOT have access to netmotiv8_vb3 - just in case the password is found out, this is more secure.

To remedy this, you could use the same user for both:

netmotiv8_smf  -  netmotiv8_user
netmotiv8_vb3  -  netmotiv8_user

Or even the same database:

netmotiv8_forum  -  netmotiv8_user

Or, more directly, you could give access on netmotiv8_vb3 to netmotiv8_smfuser.  Of course, these names are only examples - I can't really know what the real names are.

-[Unknown]

surfman

i got the same problem. I am using Cpanel and WHM. How can I let SMF know my vBulletin db name, username and password? both dbs are installed on same physical server. THanks.

[Unknown]

It knows where it is from vBulletin's configuration file.  The problem is letting it *access* that database.

If you can't get it to work, try installing them in the same database.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: