News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Advanced News

Started by .HuNTeR., July 12, 2009, 02:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.HuNTeR.

Link to Mod

By Shahriar Gholami

This mod gives you more advanced options to your news area.

Before installing this mod
make a backup of your current news
after installation of this mod they are unreachable.

Features:

set allowed membergroups for any of news:
For example:
news 1:
    Guests
    Regular Members
news 2:
news 3:
    Global Moderator
and so on...

Changelog:

July 07 2009:
+Initial release

Afro

sounds pretty good. welldone

LHW

Nice Mod, .HuNTeR..

My only suggestion would be to add an Administrator's group, so you could flash news only to them...since they wouldn't be able to see the GM news.

edi67

very instersting i hope to view it for smf 2 waiting ;)
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

MF30

tfs

Funny, I just asked for this the other day....

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=321019.0

Except that I'm running 2.0.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Cal O'Shaw

Hello,

Who can edit the news items?  Is it Admins only, or a permission such as given in the current news system.

Do we have to copy news items into each of the News Permission groups?  That is, if I say we're doing maintenance on Sunday, do I have to duplicate that news into my Guest, member, moderator, and Admin News groups?

Is it possible to get any screen shots of the edit news panel, as that may answer some of the questions?

Sorry for all the questions, but the MOD description isn't very clear and since it says it makes the current news items unreachable, I'm a bit cautious about making what sound to be serious changes to our News system.

If it helps, this is how we would like to use this MOD:

Guests: News Item inviting them to register, one or two general interest news items to make them interested in joining

Members: The General interest items seen by Guests, without the invitation to register

Moderators: General Interest items, plus any moderator reminders

Admins: General interest items, plus important info or links to topics we need them discussing.

We let the moderators update some of the General interest news items today, so we still want them to have that ability.

Does your MOD allow most or all of this?

Grazie,

Cal

JoeB

Install Actions
Installations actions for "Advanced News":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:  Type Action Description
1. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs.php Test failed
2. Execute Modification ./Sources/ManageNews.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/ManageNews.template.php Test failed
4. Execute Code Tables_1.1.X.php

Can you help please?

Cal O'Shaw

I installed the MOD and now can see:

- The Edit News permission was maintained.

- Each News Item has a link to the right that allows one to set which groups can see that News Item.  I had guessed from the description that there might be separate lists of News Items for each membergroup.  Glad to see that is not the case.

All in all a very good MOD.  Grazie mille!

JoeB,

Go to the MOD page and to the right find the Manual install.  Click on the Parse button.  In a separate window, go to your site and open the sources/subs.php file.  Back on the parse page, go to the first Code (find) and try to locate that code in the other window in your file.  See if they are different, which is usually why you get the Test Failed message -- it can't find an EXACT match.  Looking at your file, if you can see what has changed, such as comments from another MOD, you can try to fix the problem by uninstalling that other MOD, install this one, then reinstall the one you just uninstalled.  Or, you can try to manually edit the file.  Personally, if you can find which MOD or MODs changed the code, uninstall them, install this one, and then put the others back.  Saves you from editing and maybe causing problems down the road.

Hope that helps,

Cal

Shark-Time

Awesome.. i have installed it and i did likes this feature.. Thanks..keep sharing...

Providing Cheapest Offshore Hosting as low as 5$/year.
MoneyBookers | AlertPay
Pm Me

Saint_Frater

I've installed the mod, and I was very surprised to discover that the link 'Click here to add news' was missing on my production site.

I've tryed the mod on my sandbox forum before without trouble...

(I've of course tryed both english and french languages and also tryed differents look)

so i've removed the mod for the moments, and try to find where the hell is the problems, if someone found the cause or have the same trouble...

InfoStrides

I just installed this mod. It is pretty cool! Thanks.

LHW

.HuNTeR., will you be updating this for v1.1.11?  I ask because parts of it no longer work since upgrading from v1.1.10.  Mainly, selecting the permissions for the various News Items.

Thanks!

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

Cal O'Shaw

I just upgraded a 1.1.10 to 1.1.11 site with about 40 MODs and the permissions for the various news items are working fine.  I added an item and gave only one group permission to see it and that worked properly as well.

Can you provide more information and, as MATTEK asked, any screenshots showing what the problem is with the permissions.  That is, is the problem in setting them, or are your settings being ignored?

LHW

Nothing shows up on screen, per se...the links to the Permissions just don't DO anything.  On a hunch, I checked the JS Error Log, and found two...

This first one gets entered when the News and newsletter page gets loaded:

Error: illegal character
Source File: http://tcf.essentialknights.com/index.php?action=news
Line: 845, Column: 239
Source Code:
wsBoxID + '[]" value="0" class="check" /></td> <td><span>Regular Members</span></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"><input type="checkbox" name="newAllowedGroups' + newNewsBoxID + '[]" value="2" class="check" /></td> <td><span><font color='#EE3636'>High Ch

When I click on "[ Select permissions for each group ]" this one gets entered:

Error: closePBox is not defined
Source File: http://tcf.essentialknights.com/index.php?action=news
Line: 1

I tried backing out v1.1.11, and it seems this issue was there in v1.1.10 as well...apparently I haven't tried to update any news since v1.1.9.   :-\

Also, wasn't there an "Add New" button?  There isn't one displayed, and it's been too long since I've looked at my News to remember correctly.  I'm using the Default theme, if that helps.

anmol

Is there any version of this mod, or any other mod giving such functionality on SMF 2.0 RC 2 ?

Thanks,
Anmol.

Agent 0E

I too am interested in seeing this updated to work with 1.1.11

Bugo

Install for SMF 1.1.11:

package.info.xml:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE package-info SYSTEM "http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/package-info">
<package-info xmlns="http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/package-info" xmlns:smf="http://www.simplemachines.org/">
<id>Shahriar_Gholami:Advanced_News</id>
<name>Advanced News</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<type>modification</type>

<install for="1.1 - 1.1.99">
<readme type="file" parsebbc="true">readme.txt</readme>
<modification>install.xml</modification>
<code>Tables_1.1.X.php</code>
</install>

<uninstall for="1.1 - 1.1.99">
<modification reverse="true">install.xml</modification>
</uninstall>