News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Converting from phpBB - Posts shown Indented

Started by mixx941, June 02, 2005, 08:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixx941

Hi guys. This is my 3rd forum I've converted from phpBB to SMF. The others went completely smooth, but on this one, the posts are being shown with the first line way indented. See this screenshot:

I've tried with a few themes, same thing. Tried in IE and Firefox, same thing.

All posts are there, just this small problem with them.

Thanks again for an excellent product!

-Mark

[Unknown]

If you highlight the blank space, does it highlight?

In other words, is it indented with spaces?  Is it prefixed by spaces?

Is this with all messages?

-[Unknown]

mixx941

Yes. If I try to highlight the spaces, it highlights.

It does this on the first line of every post. I've looked at about 25 threads....all of which have this, so I'm assuming its on every one.

Thanks.

-Mark

[Unknown]

Sounds like, for some reason, all the posts had space in them.  I think phpBB ignores "   " but SMF shows it properly (how else could I put two spaces after my periods?)  Probably caused by the phpBB skin used.

Anyway, try:

UPDATE smf_messages
SET body = TRIM(body);

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

mixx941

Yep, that seemed to work.

Thanks very much! I can see that I have made the right choice once again.   :D

-Mark

mixx941

Actually, there is another thing I notice that seems to be lost from the conversion. This one is a bit weird. On quotes, I notice some of them look like this:

And some properly like this:

Here is the code for the first one as it shows up when I click "Modify":

<!--QuoteBegin-dj_mark+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (dj_mark)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Try: /usr/ports/irc/******x

:D

-Mark[/quote]

Does it work off of command line?

-Tony

And the second:

[quote]I sure would not pay $29 for such a buggy piece of software when many free alternatives exist.[/quote]

Ummm...mIRC is completely free.  Even when the 30 days runs out, just wait the same amount of time as usual, and you can click Okay and continue using it.

Not sure what this means. Just wondering if there is a SQL fix for this one like the spaces. It's not a huge deal so I didn't want to open a whole new topic for it since I've been posting quite a bit today for help, but I can if this is too off topic.

-Mark

[Unknown]

The first one looks like Invision, not phpBB - was this previously Invision?

-[Unknown]

mixx941

It used to be vBulletin 3. There was no converter from vBulletin 3 to phpBB, so the only solution was to take it from vBulletin to Invision, and then convert that into phpBB. Did not think of that, sorry.

When I view the topics in phpBB it has the same quote look to it as in SMF, so I guess the converter did its job :).

-Mark

[Unknown]

Well, you can try this.  Might backup first.

UPDATE smf_messages
SET body = REPLACE(REPLACE(body, '</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (', '[quote author="'), ')</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>', '"]');

You'll still have the weird quotes, but that should be okay.

-[Unknown]

mixx941

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><

-Mark

[Unknown]

Sorry, my mistake.  Try:

UPDATE smf_messages
SET body = REPLACE(REPLACE(body, '</span><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (', '[quote author="'), ')</td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>', '"]');

-[Unknown]

mixx941

Boy, I love it when things just work! :D . There are some small spacing/character issues with the quotes, but it certainly turned the old style in to the SMF quotes just great.

Thanks again [Unknown]. Just gotta whip up a quick header, then the move of my 3rd forum to SMF will be complete.

-Mark

Advertisement: