News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ad Revenue Sharing Mod (Beta)

Started by karlbenson, March 31, 2007, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astawicki

Hey...Whats the manual way to install the mod because the mod gets this eror when i install it the auto way

Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Code    install.php    
2.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
3.    Extract File    ./Sources/ArsAds.php    
4.    Extract File    ./Sources/ArsTla.php    
5.    Extract File    ./Sources/ManageArs.php    
6.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/ManageArs.template.php    
7.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/ManageArs.english.php

Thanks

rockinaway

This doesn't work, my adverts don't actually show on any of my themes.. http://www.adminfuel.com/
Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

rockinaway

Right my impressions are going up but no ads are actually showing.. I entered my AdSense id in 'pub-19 numbers', and I can even see a small area where the ad should be under the first post..: http://adminfuel.com/gratitude_forum-t733.0.html;msg8154#new
Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

rockinaway

Fixed! I didn't know that I had to log out to view them and that you can't view your own ads ;) Excellent mod!

Goad

i dont use the default theme so i tried to manually edit the code in the index.template.php by following the code found in the install.xml, but it seemed to kill my theme index (full page of errors when visiting the site).

can I post my index.template.php for you to edit it properly? let me know. I will try again in the mean time.

karlbenson

@astawicki ~ Do you get that error when installing other modifications?  If it does can you please raise it as a topic in the general support area as I believe its not related.

@rockinaway ~ Glad you got it sorted. Yes there is built in protection to prevent logged in users from being shown their own ads.

@Goad ~ Unfortunately I do not do edits for people because I don't have the time.  However you may find another person willing to help by asking http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0 with a [free] or [paid] request for help.
I have only a limited amount of time at the moment and I'm focusing it on finishing/updating/bug fixing my other mods.

Goad

well, i figured it out enough so its not throwing code errors....but the mod isnt really working.....i have selected all the options (top, bottom, left, right, etc) and im using adsense....and the attached image is the only sign of the mod i see.

about adsense...do you just put in the number, or do you include pub-  ?

also, attached is my index.template.php renamed with a .txt extension...maybe someone can look in there and find out what im doing wrong.

thanks for the help.

karlbenson

whats your forum url?

note: it won't show your own ads if your logged into your own account.
Admins aren't shown the admin ads either.

Loggout and see if you see ads.

Goad

Quote from: karlbenson on September 20, 2007, 10:22:17 PM
whats your forum url?

note: it won't show your own ads if your logged into your own account.
Admins aren't shown the admin ads either.

Loggout and see if you see ads.

ahhhhhh.........there they are.

now i just want ads displayed across the bottom...near the copywrite stuff.....but the ads are showing under the welcome box when i only have "bottom" selected.

www.socaljetboats.com is the site, but ads are disabled until i figure it out.

rockinaway

yeah I had the same problem.. fiddled around with the code in the template files and achieved what I wanted: http://www.adminfuel.com

Goad

Quote from: rockinaway on September 21, 2007, 01:43:18 PM
yeah I had the same problem.. fiddled around with the code in the template files and achieved what I wanted: http://www.adminfuel.com

so what did you do? im not a coder by any means, but i can figure out the basic stuff....do you have any suggestions on where i should start lookin within the code?

cool site....i like it.

just a heads up....when i go to it, as a guest (not logged in) i see this instead of the ads:

"This is an Ad Revenue Sharing Forum [?]"

ajay_sparklingboy

Also Google adsense policies allow only 3 text/image ads per page. BEWARE OF IT

karlbenson

rockinaway

Yeah,, thanks for letting me know that :)

And Goad thanks for the ino ;) Will be launching the site soon. As for the code, I found the code which had been put in by the modification and copied it and moved it around the template file, uploaded the file and saw where it was placed or the effects. Trial and error is the best way with this stuff in my opinion :) PM me if you want :)

GazOutEast

Karl

I'm having the "link not show in Configuration" bug

It's a new install of SMF 1.1.3 via Fantastico on an Apache server with php 4.4.7
The only installed mod is your "Buy me a Beer" (priorities first - right? ;-) )
I did have the Ad Management mod installed but took it out in favour or ARS (uninstalled and deleted)

The Theme is the Default (Core?) theme with user permission "off" for changing theme.

I've done the ManageArs.english.php -> ManageArs.english-utf8.php copy & rename

Still don't get the menu item in configuration in SMF admin cpanel - there's an extra blank line for where it should be, but no name or link.

Any ideas?

Gaz
I have 20:20 vision - I can see anything bigger than 20" x 20"

karlbenson

there are more language strings that need copyright to their Utf-8 equivalent.

<file name="$languagedir/Admin.english.php">
<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.english.php">
<file name="$languagedir/Profile.english.php">
<file name="$languagedir/Manual.english.php">

GazOutEast

Quote from: karlbenson on September 22, 2007, 06:59:21 PM
there are more language strings that need copyright to their Utf-8 equivalent.

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.english.php">
<file name="$languagedir/Profile.english.php">
<file name="$languagedir/Manual.english.php">

So if I read that right - I do the same to those 4 files (in the themes/default/languages folder) as I did to the ManageArs.english.php ?

Is that correct?  (sorry but when I see $ in front of something that isn't related to money, I have palpitations about having to do a SQL edit or something)
[edit] - OK, I've looked at the files existing (already on server) and have some queries
  • Admin.english.php            = 36k  (utf8 version = 37k)
  • Modifications.english.php = 881k  (utf-8 version = 484k)
  • Profile.english.php            = 21k  (utf-8 version = 17k)
  • Manual.english.php           = 89k  (utf-8 version = 77k)
As you can see, the existing utf-8 version of Admin.english is a larger file than the non-utf-8 version.  For the other three, the non-utf-8 version is the bigger file.
Q1 - Do I have to manually edit the differences into the utf-8 versions (where the non-utf is bigger) or do I just overwrite the utf-8 version?
Q2 - Do I have to "write-back" whatever is making the Admin.english utf-8 file bigger than the non-utf-8 version, or just ignore it, or do a manual diff and edit to make them both the same?
Q3 - is all of this going to get automated in the script for the next release (if so then I can uninstall and wait) or will this bit always need manual edits?
-------------------- sidestep to expected next issue ---------------------
Q4 - I understand this mod does not work if the ad management mod is installed, but your OP warns about other ad tools shouldn't be used at the same time - does that also apply (specifically) to the mods -
  • Convert eBay ads to AuctionAds
  • eBay Tag (converts listing number to full URL for listing)
  • Earn from Amazon links
What I'm thinking of there is getting eBay Tag working first (and telling users they can input listing numbers then hit the BBcode button for the system to sort the URL for them.  But then when they post their post, the Convert eBay ads mod picks up that URL, and adds my affiliate code  8)   ;D
And something similar for the Amazon stuff if the eBay stuff works  ;)
Will ARS have issues with that?

Gaz

karlbenson

1) No you don't copy those files over.  You need to copy all the strings relevant to this mod from those files.
You will find ALL the strings to copy inside the install.xml of the mod.zip.

2) same as above.  Some characters when stored as utf-8 are bigger eg & = &amp ;
The reason the differences in size is because some of your mods will have added some strings to the non-utf8 version which you haven't added to the full version.

3) The new version will install automatically on default theme in English. I'm hoping to add utf-8 english version aswel.
As you will be aware, smf 2.0 will TRY to install mods on all themes. (if you select to do so). However if there are issues like with the default theme and conflicts then some manual edits will always be required.

4) The Amazon/AuctionAds stuff should be ok with Adsense because they are NOT contextual ads.
I haven't tested they work together.  I probably wouldn't recommend it either.

GazOutEast

Hi - me again

And hit problem attempting first step of 1st instruction
in the install.xml file, the strings are written as (for admin.english.php) -

<!-- // ADMIN.ENGLISH.PHP  //-->
<!-- adds the txt string for use on the manage admin area -->
<operation>
   <search position="before"><![CDATA[$txt['theme_admin'] = 'Themes and Layout';]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['managears_admin'] = 'Ad Revenue Sharing';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

Inside the Admin.english-utf8.php file they are written as -

$txt[4] = 'Boards';
$txt[5] = 'Members';
$txt[6] = 'Newsletters';
$txt[7] = 'News';
$txt[8] = 'Membergroups';
$txt[9] = 'Manage members';
etc
etc

No where in those files you named (plain or utf versions) can I find the < or the > symbols to show where to put the code in your install.xml file.

Also the header of the install.xml file says -

<modification xmlns="http://www.simplemachines.org/xml/modification" xmlns:smf="http://www.simplemachines.org/">
<id>karlbenson:AdRevenueSharing</id>
<version>1.2</version>

So this is version 1.2 and not the version 2.3 which was selected from the SMF mods site download page?

Way back in this forum somewhere, were notes about the need for utf8 files by default in all mods for smf 1.1.x, and you stated that from ARS 2.x you would be installing native support for that.  I'm wondering why it's therefore not included, or at least not working.

Although I'm fairly computer savvy, I'm neither a coder nor a programmer, and what you're instructing seems to be way beyond my skills - but then in the modern computer world, 30 years of CPm-DOS-basic-VB-html etc knowledge, is now pretty useless with regards to all this new-fangled php-SQL-xml stuff.

Obvious question is therefore, again, why wasn't this sorted in the switch up from ARS 1.x to ARS 2.x?

Obvious 2nd question is - just how on earth does anyone get this installed and working?

At this point, I'm severely tempted to pull the plug and switch over to phpBB for the easier integration with WordPress, osCommerce, and phpAuctions.  In the long run it may be a lot less costly time wise to do that.  This is the 2nd mod on the list of over 40 mods that have to go into this install of "a forum - any forum that works" and already it's cost me 4 days - that's about 45 hours over allocation.

Sorry for the rant Karl, but right now I am one very unhappy bunny.

Gaz

p.s. - edit (an important one) - knowing this is such an issue for so many people since SMF 1.1.x went native on utf8 files, are you going to issue a "patch install" that fixes the utf issue for those 4 files?
Please say yes, and please say "sometime in the next 2 minutes"  ;)

owvvwo

hi your mod is great, that is very useful mod,
i have one doubt....
In my forum one chitchat (adult )zone is there. i want to prevent or restrict google ads on some boards so any board wise permission available?.....
other wise take it as a suggestion... thank you
(waiting for reply) 

Advertisement: