News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.10 and Web Portals

Started by Aye Aye, September 12, 2015, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

they normally reverse the install instructions

remove added code
change back replaced code
(that second one is the place that you can encounter errors if one of the subsequent mods has further altered the code that the mod replaced in the first place)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

I noticed that some mods did not come off cleanly.

the Advanced Reputation System needed me to go back to an early version of Display.template.php and then i manually had to reapply "bits" of the Buddies Block mod.

my system seems fine but i can't help but think there is a bug lurking in there somewhere.

my Simple Audio Video Embedder was all manually installed, too.

i'm finding some mods not fitting because the tab alignment of some lines of code aren't right.

... but all of my 48 mods do work, except the Buddies Block

sorry to sidetrack.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

Quote from: Kindred on September 13, 2015, 09:11:39 PM
they normally reverse the install instructions

remove added code
change back replaced code
(that second one is the place that you can encounter errors if one of the subsequent mods has further altered the code that the mod replaced in the first place)

excellent. thank you.

here's a thought, maybe the next release of SMF will have ALL KNOWN mods as standard ?

i jest but wouldn't it be a hellova product !
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

Aye Aye, if you wish to see a fairly basic implementation of Simple Portal then visit my site at http://forum.drugs-and-users.org.

the portal then becomes the home page.

Aye Aye

Popped in there, registered and spammed a tad.

aegersz

Quote from: Aye Aye on September 14, 2015, 06:31:34 AM

Popped in there, registered and spammed a tad.

you are welcome ... i hope you liked my basic Simple Portal implementation

Aye Aye

I'm no expert, but from what I have seen of the portal mods, I'm looking more closely at TinyPortal

aegersz

if you do go with Tiny Portal then try to get back here and briefly outline it's pros and cons, please.

Steve

@ aegersz - did you see my post with the mod suggestion? No need to write them all down with that installed.

Having said that ... we should probably return the thread to the OP (although aegersz seems to have done that already).

@ Aye Aye - has your original question been answered? If so, please click the 'Mark Topic Solved' button. If not, let us know what more we can do for you. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Aye Aye

^

I see this topic more as a discussion than as an issue topic. It it requires to be moved to some other section of site, I have no quarrels with that.

aegersz

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2015, 08:07:32 AM
@ aegersz - did you see my post with the mod suggestion? No need to write them all down with that installed.

<snip>

did i see it ? i installed it and i love it !

much appreciated, it's now in order ! cool.

Antechinus

In short, Simple Portal is capable but simpler. Tiny Portal is more versatile, but more complex. PortaMx is arguably the most versatile of all, but also arguably the most complex.

All are very well coded and will do what they say on the tin. If you do not require the extra flexibility and do not want complexity, you may prefer Simple Portal. It's popular for this reason. If you want more functionality and are prepared to deal with a more complex admin interface to get that flexibility, you may prefer TP or Porta. It comes down to personal preference, and to what you need your site to do.

Steve

@ aegersz - glad you like it ... I love it as well.

@ Aye Aye - if you're okay with how the thread is going, forget I said anything. :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Aye Aye

No quarrel with anything said so far. Simply trying to learn a few things about the SMF system.

Advertisement: