News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Calendar mods

Started by Chris Curran, January 21, 2006, 11:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawyndham

Hmmm,

It seems to be interferring with previously posted events in the calendar.  When i install the mod, any events that currenly span multiple days cease to span.

I'm getting the following errors too:

..../index.php?action=packages;sa=install2;package=repeatEvents_1_2_2.zip

2: Missing argument 2 for db_query(), called in ...../Packages/temp/add_settings.php on line 35 and defined
File: ...../Sources/Subs.php
Line: 238

2: Missing argument 3 for db_query(), called in ...../Packages/temp/add_settings.php on line 35 and defined

Seems strange to me as the mod doesn't touch subs.php

I'm also still losing the calendar every time I post a recurring event.  If I try and display any month that has a recurring event it just displays a blank screen.

Chris Curran

Quote from: dawyndham on March 12, 2007, 01:21:22 AM
Hmmm,

It seems to be interferring with previously posted events in the calendar.  When i install the mod, any events that currenly span multiple days cease to span.

That is normal. The 'span' logic has been replaced with true repeating events.

2: Missing argument 2 for db_query(), called in ...../Packages/temp/add_settings.php on line 35 and defined

v1.2.3 has a fix for the 'add_settings.php' issue. This file (add_settings.php) is taken from the SDK, and is obviously broken....

I'm also still losing the calendar every time I post a recurring event.  If I try and display any month that has a recurring event it just displays a blank screen.

Dunno. Can you look at your http server logs to see if there is some error?

Chris Curran

Kindred,

OK, then I'll start thinking in that direction. If I may:

1) What names should these roles be titled? My names of 'coordinator' and 'participant' are a bit wordy. I came up with these names to reflect the nature of our intended use - general event handling and a classroom/instructor/student type of interaction. Are there better terms for these two roles?

2) I've never looked at your prev implementation of this feature. What UI mechanism did you use?

3) Did the event have to be linked to a post before it was available to 'attendees'? Events that are not linked have no href to click on, so I presume this is the case?

4) I (think I) saw somewhere that the attendee id was stored in a TEXT field in the event db. I'm not sure which is better - two TEXT fields in the db for each event (coordinators and participants), or, a separate table linked to the event id. The former means easier/less code, but wastes some db space; the latter is more efficient wrt db space usage, but is a little more code and maybe a (very) tiny performance hit. Opinions?

Kindred

1- Honestly, I think coordinator and participant are probably the best solutions...  However, you could make the actual terms definable on a per installation basis in the admin section (?)

2- It was just a display at the top of the post (similar to the way Polls display) that indicated current attendees and had a link to add/remove your name form the list.

3- yes, the event for attendees had to be linked to a post...

4- Hmmm...    I would actually suggest the second option. Having now managed a site that runs with a database in the hundreds of gigabytes, I have to say that anything that decreases db overhead is a good idea.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chris Curran

Quote from: Kindred on March 12, 2007, 11:50:17 AM
4- Hmmm...    I would actually suggest the second option. Having now managed a site that runs with a database in the hundreds of gigabytes, I have to say that anything that decreases db overhead is a good idea.

I certainly understand that dynamic. Before retiring, I was CTO at Tyler Retail, Inc (tylernet.com) and one of our customers is Tweeter. Talk about monster db's! Everything is measured in terabytes there... :)

Upon further reflection, I've decided to include the new event fields into the standard calendar db table. There is only one record (row) for each event, and I don't think there's going to be enough event records (rows) to warrant the added complexity of a shadow db. If anyone has a strong argument against this, speak up....

I'm off for the New Moon weekend and will check back in on Tue or Wed....

cheers,
Chris

Chris Curran

Quote from: Chris Curran on March 16, 2007, 09:48:20 AM
Upon further reflection, I've decided to include the new event fields into the standard calendar db table. There is only one record (row) for each event, and I don't think there's going to be enough event records (rows) to warrant the added complexity of a shadow db. If anyone has a strong argument against this, speak up....

Since no one seems to have an objection, I'm going to start down this road....

Leszer

Hey Chris.

I've been using SMF at work for my particular group to help in with our communication and I have the calendar mod already installed but was curious if the attendees code would be added soon?

c3vettes

I'm glad you're doing this, Chris. I too have been waiting for some time for this very feature. Tnx! I'll be using this on a car club site where members attend events, such as car shows and cruises, and many area businesses hold cruise-ins, so this area stays pretty busy, and the cruise-ins are all recurring events. The attendees list will also be awesome!

8) 8) 8)
SMF 1.1.5, Subdreamer 2.4 Pro, Coppermine 1.4.10, Flash Chat 4.8.3
www.ncvettes.com
www.cheersdears.com
www.josephcwoodard.com

Jesse Jericho

Definitely looking forward to this mod!

Kindred

Jesse,

the recurring events mod is already released. See the link in the first post.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jesse Jericho

Quote from: Kindred on April 12, 2007, 11:00:23 PM
Jesse,

the recurring events mod is already released. See the link in the first post.

Oh I was referring to the organizer/attendee part :)

brelwit

I am logged-in as Admin and am experiencing some errors after I installed this mod in my fresh installation of SMF 1.1.2.  Below are screenshots and explanations on errors experienced:

PHP tag appearing on the top of the Calendar Page:

Upon clicking the "Link To Calender" button, I was redirected to the Edit page for that Calendar event then saw the second screen (see image in the bottom). Some codes about Javascript appears at this Edit page. Can these codes be removed from being displayed?  Has anyone experienced this?

Hope anybody can help me. Thank you.

brelwit

Also do you know where I can find the tag to change the text color of Holidays?  I can't seem to find it anyhere.  I've looked in the templates css file and index already.  The color is: #000080.  Thank you.  :)

Kindred

the holiday colour is defined in SMF admin > calendar > holiday color
Слaва
Украинi

dman63119

Quote from: brelwit on April 15, 2007, 01:09:40 AM

I am getting the exact same tags showing on the Calendar page. However, I have version 1.1.1. I'm guessing this is being caused by sources/Calendar.php?

QuoteHope anybody can help me. Thank you.

Same here.

thanks,
Adam

dawyndham

Quote from: dman63119 on April 15, 2007, 11:56:01 AM

I am getting the exact same tags showing on the Calendar page. However, I have version 1.1.1. I'm guessing this is being caused by sources/Calendar.php?

Same here.

thanks,
Adam

Yeah, those are the tags I was seeing when I was having the problems I discussed a month or so ago.  I thought I was the only one.

citron

Quote from: dawyndham on April 15, 2007, 06:52:50 PM
Quote from: dman63119 on April 15, 2007, 11:56:01 AM

Same here.

thanks,
Adam

Yeah, those are the tags I was seeing when I was having the problems I discussed a month or so ago.  I thought I was the only one.

I'm having the same issue (PHP tag appearing on the top of the calendar page).

brelwit

Quote from: Kindred on April 15, 2007, 09:37:13 AM
the holiday colour is defined in SMF admin > calendar > holiday color

Got it.  Thanks!  :)

brelwit

I've been looking for a forum software with excellent Calendar Features.  This mod made me consider SMF.  It would be great too if the Attendee Listing is someday included in the mod. 

If the errors I mentioned above will be fixed, I will probably replace my old e107 powered website.  Hope someone knows how to fix this mod's errors.  :)

Chris Curran

Pardon the brevity of this post - I'm camping and using a cell phone attached to my laptop to access the net (as in S L O W). For future reference, if it's near New Moon, I'm almost always unavailable. I go camping for about a week around that time of the month....

I think the rouge tag has already been fixed - it's posted somewhere back in this thread with a link to the zip on my home page. I'll check in more detail when I return (Sunday).

Advertisement: