Disable "Allow users to email you?"

Started by empmdk, October 04, 2009, 09:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empmdk

Is it possible to disable the "Allow users to email you?" checkbox while registering? We do not want any members to be able to send emails to each other.

The only emails we want allowed to be sent are from administrators to members.

JBlaze

Admin -> Security and Moderation -> General -> Allow viewable email addresses? (uncheck)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

empmdk

I already have it unchecked but that option still shows on the register page. Will doing that disable emailing from member to member even if they check that box while signing up?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No that option hs nothing to do with the e-mail function really.

If this option is enabled instead of users email addresses being hidden to normal members and guests they will be publicly viewable on the forum. Enabling this will put your users at greater risk of being victims of spam as a result of email harvesters visiting your forum. Note this setting does not override the user setting for hiding their email address from users. Enabling this setting is not recommended.

I'm not actually sure if there is an option to completely disable emailing between users.... I just tried to find such an
option...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

treehugger

Could someone say where and what needs to be taken out of the script to totally remove this option from the profile please?

treehugger

allartk

Hi,

We have an issue related to this. When a users enables "Allow users to email me" also guests are able to email that user whithout even a captcha or anything else restricting spam.

So these users are retrieving spam!

allartk

The option is in secutiry and moderation. I was looking at permissions :S

greyknight17

treehugger, open up /Themes/default/Register.template.php:

Code (Search for and delete) Select
<dt><strong><label for="allow_email">', $txt['allow_user_email'], ':</label></strong></dt>
<dd>
<input type="checkbox" name="allow_email" id="allow_email" tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '" class="input_check" />
</dd>

That should remove that option in the registration page.

treehugger

Thank you Greyknight - when nobody relpied on this thread I opened Remove some text from registration page and Ha2 came up with the answer for me - I didn't want to mark this as solved because it wasn't my thread. :D

codeseven

Sorry for bumping such an old message, but is the above fix still the only way to fix this? To edit code? Is there not an option anywhere in the settings to disable users from emailing other users?

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: