Custom Profile Field Mod

Started by winrules, March 30, 2006, 02:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akyhne

I don't need it. It was just a guy in the scandinavian section asking why the mod could not be downloaded. But thanks anyway.

Kindred

actually, if you are doing a major upgrade, by replacing all of the forum files, you don't need to waste time uninstalling mods.

By over-writing all forum files, you are removing all mods. (and since you can not use 1.1.x themes on 2.0, you don't even have to worry about changes you manually made to the custom themes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

thaisport

Hello, I have a question:

In the Custom Profile Field Mod, I have 2 fields that uses select boxes. What I would like to do is add images to the text selections.

Is there a way to add images to the actual selection choices? If, so what it the best way of going about it?

ie: one of the selection choices is spices. I also want to add a small image of spices as well so that is looks like this in the selection choices:

"Spices "

Thanks,

Thaisport

Lusitan

Can someone attach the package so it becomes available again? :o

Kindred

Unless someone else gets permission from the original author, no....    the package was removed because it is no longer supported (and with the release of 2.0 no longer needed)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Angelina Belle

With SMF2 still in beta, am I better sticking with 1.1.8 for now?
I feel really impatient to have this mod for a new forum, and am wondering if I should just go with phpBB3.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Akyhne

Custom profile fields is build in to the SMF 2, so you don't need this mod for that version.

Akyhne

I never tried Custom Profile Field Mod for MSF 1.1.x, but the way it works in SMF 2 is just great. You have a lot of options to custom each profile field.

Angelina Belle

On the downloads page, the team says, in no uncertain terms
Quote from: http://download.simplemachines.org/downloads pageNote: As this is not a final release, we do not recommend running SMF 2.0 RC1 on a production site.
Do you think it would be a good plan for someone who has never used SMF before to put this not-quite-gold release on a production site?  Do you have any notion of how often the team will bring out new release candidates, and how soon until there is a stable, gold version of SMF2?

Thanks for your advice
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Akyhne

I have a very important forum that I'm not upgrading before I see that RC1 is running stable. Then I have a pretty new forum (2 months old) that was installed as Beta 4 and later upgraded to RC1 that is important to me. I'm sure that if they find some important issues, we will be presented with some manual quick fixes.

I have a few strange things happened, but nothing serious that spoiled anything or was a great issue.

Then I have 5-6 other SMF forums in version 1.1.8 & 2.0 I use for testing of mods, developing mods etc. None of them runs unstable.

Without knowing anything about it, my guess is 3-6 months before a full release of SMF 2.0. There's only a few small issues to solve as far as I know. I don't think we will see any RC2 - or if we do, we will see it pretty soon.

Angelina Belle

Quote from: akyhne on February 17, 2009, 10:27:49 AM
I'm sure that if they find some important issues, we will be presented with some manual quick fixes.

I have a few strange things happened, but nothing serious that spoiled anything or was a great issue.
There's only a few small issues to solve as far as I know. I don't think we will see any RC2 - or if we do, we will see it pretty soon.
Thanks for the advice.  I am SO on the fence!  I do really want the custom profile fields.  But there is still significant activity in "major" "crash" and "block" bugs at the moment, and applying the manual fixes may not be the best use of time.  Maybe there will even be another RC or two before the gold release.

So maybe it is best to play it safe to avoid extra work and headaches -- maybe 1.1.8 is the best option for now.  Too bad the custom profile field mod has been withdrawn!  I wonder why?

Rumbaar

If you read through the last few pages you'll see why it was removed.  There is a process of getting a more sanitised version of the 1.1.x mod back on the download page.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Kindred

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on February 17, 2009, 09:20:38 AM
With SMF2 still in beta, am I better sticking with 1.1.8 for now?
I feel really impatient to have this mod for a new forum, and am wondering if I should just go with phpBB3.

SMF 2 is in RC now...
Слaва
Украинi

drhamad

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on February 17, 2009, 10:15:30 AM
On the downloads page, the team says, in no uncertain terms
Quote from: http://download.simplemachines.org/downloads pageNote: As this is not a final release, we do not recommend running SMF 2.0 RC1 on a production site.
Do you think it would be a good plan for someone who has never used SMF before to put this not-quite-gold release on a production site?  Do you have any notion of how often the team will bring out new release candidates, and how soon until there is a stable, gold version of SMF2?

Thanks for your advice

Many forums (including this one) are running 2.0 in production.  I'm on the last steps of development for my forum (~3m posts, 55k members).  If you're just starting a new forum, I'd run 2.0 because it's easier to deal with than upgrading from 1.1 later.  For most sites already on 1.1, I'd' stay on 1.1 unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade.

There's no way to predict 2.0 updates.  It has been in production for a long time.
FMVperformance:  3.51m posts, 63k members, 11 boards, 1 database

Mazda3Forums - SmallVolvos - MazdaSpeeders Mazda Club - FordFusionClubMazda CX-7 Club - MyMazda6
Now introducing: MKSdrivers.com - FocusDrivers - TaurusDrivers

drhamad

BINGO:

I've now figured out how to convert this mod's profile fields to 2.0 profile fields.  The data is stored the same exact way.  Therefore, all you need to do is change the variable in smf_themes.

Create the field in 2.0.  DO NOT ENTER ANY DATA.  Go into the database (using phpMyAdmin, or whatever your preferred method is), go into smf_themes and use this query:

UPDATE smf_themes
SET variable = "var1"
where variable = "var2"

Where var1 = the name of the field you just entered
and var2 = the name of the old (1.1) field.

THAT IS IT.

Mazda3Forums - SmallVolvos - MazdaSpeeders Mazda Club - FordFusionClubMazda CX-7 Club - MyMazda6

wilsy

Quote from: drhamad on February 18, 2009, 01:48:57 PM
BINGO:

I've now figured out how to convert this mod's profile fields to 2.0 profile fields.  The data is stored the same exact way.  Therefore, all you need to do is change the variable in smf_themes.

Create the field in 2.0.  DO NOT ENTER ANY DATA.  Go into the database (using phpMyAdmin, or whatever your preferred method is), go into smf_themes and use this query:

UPDATE smf_themes
SET variable = "var1"
where variable = "var2"

Where var1 = the name of the field you just entered
and var2 = the name of the old (1.1) field.

THAT IS IT.

..worked like a dream, thanks!

Busy RewindBikers offered to Good Home! 1000+ members, loads of mods, SMF Gallery PRO, TinyPortal installed with great use of blocks, ultimate profiles, PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS (works flawlessly), great theme, 1,500 posts per month - PM or email me if interested.

drhamad

Also, the variable name might not be exactly what you entered as the field name, so you might want to enter one user of data just to see what it has named it.  You'll need to delete that afterwords though.

[SiNaN]

Mod is updated to 3.20. This version fixes a minor permission issue related to unauthorized editing of fields. Package includes upgrade from older versions.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

willj

Does this mod work with Ultimate Profile?

Filipina

Hi I tried searching for the answer on this thread  but get error "Unable to access the search daemon" whatever it means.

Anyway I have a question someone might know. I have this mod on 1.1.8 default and love it. I have my profiles all visible to guests. However, one field I created with this mod I want to restrict guests from seeing it. Can someone tell if this is possible? Which file I would go to to find these fields? What code would I put to restrict guests from viewing this one field? 

Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisement: