News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Old Posts - First post is at the bottom

Started by Xanth18, September 01, 2023, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanth18

This isn't really anything bad, but I wanted to see if there was a fix for it.

Our forum has been around since the early 2000's... and since then the forum, which I believe started with phpBB has been upgraded and converted many times over those years.  We're now at the current SMF version (thanks for the help for that guys!) and during one of those conversions from phpBB, a strange thing occurred where some of the posts from the early years (2003 ish?) had the first post in the thread moved to the end.  So the last post in the thread is actually the first post, and the thread continues as normal from the top.

Does anyone know of any mod or something I can run to fix this?  Not huge if it's unfixable, just wondering.  :)

Thanks!

Kindred

I've never heard of this,  but I suspect there was an import failure.  Not sure it can be fixed easily,  especially if it's not all threads
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Xanth18

Yeah, it's not really a big deal, it's been this way for a long time now. 

Here's an example:  https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome-to-out-of-body-experiences!/astral-meetings/ [nofollow]

It PROBABLY happened during the transition from phpBB to SMF many years (and many versions) ago.

Oldiesmann

It looks like the post IDs got screwed up at some point. In your example topic, the first post being displayed has an ID of 39 while the last one has an ID of 115813. The only easy way to fix this would be to modify the code to sort posts by date rather than ID, but I'm not sure how much work would be involved with doing that (or whether it would break other things).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Xanth18

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 02, 2023, 12:33:21 AMIt looks like the post IDs got screwed up at some point. In your example topic, the first post being displayed has an ID of 39 while the last one has an ID of 115813. The only easy way to fix this would be to modify the code to sort posts by date rather than ID, but I'm not sure how much work would be involved with doing that (or whether it would break other things).
Yeah, that really doesn't sound worth the effort.  haha

Thanks for the explainer though!  It definitely makes sense.  I'm sure it was one of the old conversions in days long past which broke it.  ;)

You can consider this thread closed if you'd like.  :)

Advertisement: