News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New Mod Idea!

Started by LostProphecy, April 29, 2004, 06:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostProphecy

Greetings!

I got a really good idea one night while going through the contents of my MySql database.

What does everyone think of a "Read members private messages mod?"

The admins at my site do this by digging through the ever complicated SQL database! It's a pain in the butt really...and a mod specifically designed for this purpose would make things a lot simpler...

So what does everyone think?

Kodee.
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

Ben_S

That it's wrong and unethical and it's been discussed before.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Peter Duggan

LostProphecy

Well see I believe in privacy too. But we have had hack attempts before...and a lot of the members that did it used the private message system. Sorry, I had no clue it was already discussed.

Kreacher.
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

jack

Quote from: Ben_S on April 29, 2004, 06:50:08 PM
That it's wrong and unethical and it's been discussed before.

Not 100% so. The Ts & Cs of my board state that there should be no expectation of privacy. Our rules also allow us to ceck a user's IM box for reasons such as  claims of harrasment* or if we think that things may be being discussed that may cause problems for the site (i.e. illegal stuff) and of course there's exceptions for the UKs anti-terrorism laws.
I whole-heartedly agree that it should not be given a front-end as that would tempt people to 'fish' through other people's non-public messages. The complexity of looking now is deterrent to do so fpor trivial reasons.

* I have done so once.I got a complaint from a couple of people about a user annoying them. Upon checking, he'd basically been working his way through the userlist bugging anyone marked as female. A swift banning ensued.

Peter Duggan

My recommendation would be to disable the PM system if you don't like/trust it rather than let folk believe it's something it's not.

<edit>Posted in response to LostProphecy, not jack, whose stance I broadly agree with.</edit>

Ben_S

jack,

I agree with you, there is always the chance that a situation may arise where the need to check a certain members messages is needed, but as you say there is no need for a front end for it, the need will likely never arise on most boards if/and when it does, then the admin can always check on it in the db.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

nave

i personally would not feel comfortable being a member on a board where the admin could easily read my private messages. knowing they could do it, if they had to, but it would be a pain in the arse to get to them, makes me feel more secure. there is just too much temptation for a nosy, bored admin to go rooting through people's messages if it was so easily done.

Advertisement: