News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Paid Subscriptions

Started by Grudge, August 12, 2006, 06:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Quote from: Lord Anubis on March 14, 2013, 11:43:19 PM
Quote from: Arantor on March 14, 2013, 11:27:44 PM
Also note there was a change to PayPal's API with respect to the notifications setup. SMF 2.0.x got the fix (it's the 2.0.3 patch, amongst other things) but I don't believe the mod got updated.

I wish, but I know the SMF rule is not to update unless the author consents (which makes sense)... kinda like the SMF Chess which was another golden mod imho

Really? I thought you could update it, but not redistribute your update?

Arantor

It's not just a rule, it's sort of law; specifically copyright law that unless the mod is given under a licence which permits modification and subsequent redistribution, no-one can take it over and update it. If you can get hold of the author and get permission, of course, this shouldn't be a problem.

In this mod's case, Grudge himself added it to SMF core way way back when he was an SMF dev.

As for modifying it yourself, go nuts. You just can't distribute it. You *can* document the changes you made, though.

Biology Forums

QuoteAs for modifying it yourself, go nuts. You just can't distribute it. You *can* document the changes you made, though.

That's good to know, thx.

Arantor

But that basically just means saying "Install this mod, then find/replace this code" as a forum post.

Just for fun, if the author should later come back, they have to ask *you* for permission to incorporate your code into it unless it's a few lines or very minor changes since then it's your copyrighted work that would be on the line. Fun business this.

Lord Anubis

well all I know is I was searching through this code and saw....

// Should we check paid subscriptions?
if (empty($modSettings['paidNextExpire']) || time() > $modSettings['paidNextExpire'])
{
require_once($sourcedir . '/ManagePaid.php');
loadLanguage('ManagePaid');
autoCheckSubscriptions();
        }

Then checked the value of "paidNextExpire" I figured the epoch was showing an outdated date according to the DB

Bad thinking?  Or is it a matter of looking into the hooks for Paypal API?

Arantor

You found that? Interesting. The code says 'if we don't have a next expiry time logged, or "now" is after the next expiry time, go check the subscriptions'. Setting it to 2015 means that code won't run.

nsno

I have this installed on 1.1.18 but want to upgrade to 2.0.4

Will my paid subscribers be transferred over?  Will their subscriptions continue in future?

TheListener

This mod is not compatible with 2.0.4

BUT

paid subscriptions are built into 2.0.4 anyways

:)

nsno

Quote from: Old Fossil on June 15, 2013, 06:02:16 PM

BUT

Know, thanks

My question was really does the function now included in core upgrade from this or is it totally new and need setting up again?

TheListener

Quote from: nsno on June 15, 2013, 06:05:28 PM
Quote from: Old Fossil on June 15, 2013, 06:02:16 PM

BUT

Know, thanks

My question was really does the function now included in core upgrade from this or is it totally new and need setting up again?

That I haven't a clue sorry.

Biology Forums

Don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I've been getting complaints that this mod, which has been working perfectly for the past year on my forum, isn't working anymore. The membergroups are not automatically being updated for paid members. My website has not changed, nor has the PHP software running behind the scenes changed - it is a dedicated server.

My question is, has PayPal made any changes to the IPN file recently that may account for this?

Arantor

Changes were made some time ago to how IPNs work. I'm surprised it's worked this long, in all honesty.

2.0 fixed this back in 2.0.2 or 2.0.3 IIRC.

Biology Forums

I made those changes to this file too, that's why it 'continues' to work, except for today. I meant more recently, have any changes been made.

Arantor

Oh, no, nothing has changed recently as far as I know. I do know that PayPal has had some server issues recently though (like the last 48 hours) which may also account for it.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 09, 2014, 08:09:02 PM
Oh, no, nothing has changed recently as far as I know. I do know that PayPal has had some server issues recently though (like the last 48 hours) which may also account for it.

Thank goodness, this is one mod I don't really have the guts to tackle if something were to go wrong. Could you provide sources to your last comment?

Arantor

Several times over the last couple of days I've gone to pay for something and it's just gone to a random error message page... good luck getting any better sources than that though ;D

Of course, maybe you might consider preparing for a transition to 2.x because 2.0's paid subs will be supported for a good while yet (until 3.0 stable happens) and 1.1.x will be unsupported soon.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 09, 2014, 08:20:16 PM
Several times over the last couple of days I've gone to pay for something and it's just gone to a random error message page... good luck getting any better sources than that though ;D

Of course, maybe you might consider preparing for a transition to 2.x because 2.0's paid subs will be supported for a good while yet (until 3.0 stable happens) and 1.1.x will be unsupported soon.

Funny, I *just* got 4 PayPal messages in a row about the purchases that took place hours ago.

I'm in a bind to be honest. The transition to 2.1 would be amazing, but I've simply done far too much with the 1.x software to make the swift transition. I have tested 2.x with my database, and it works fine. Issue, however, is keeping track of all the different tables added by other mods, big ones like the gallery, a custom blog modification, countless profile modifications, etc. (list is literally too large to mention). If you sign-up, you'll get a feel that this isn't your typical 1.x forum. It works and acts like a fork, which makes it difficult to transition. I don't have the time nor willpower to do it at the moment. But thanks for the genuine concern.

Arantor

Yeah, I didn't say it was *consistent*, I said there were issues over the past couple of days, but it's not every transaction.

All the time you stick to 1.1.x you have other issues to contend with. You're limited to PHP 5.4, for one. You're also forced to stick with ext/mysql (mysql_query and friends), because in 5.5 they're now non-standard and being phased out in favour of the MySQLi extension (which 2.0 has a mod for and 2.1 natively supports).

And once 2.1 happens, there will no longer be any security fixes for 1.1, not that it's worth our time fixing the other PHP 5.5 issues, nor is it even feasible for us to fix the MySQL issue that will result in PHP 5.5+ (possible yes, but so infeasible we already ruled it out)

Biology Forums

A bit off topic, but how do you tell if this website is a 1.x build or a 2.x build?

http://forum.burek.com/

margarett

1.x --> copyright: LLC and year 2005 :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: