Installing problem - getting "SMF Installer" need to fix files that need to be..

Started by jeannedb, May 07, 2004, 01:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannedb

Installing problem - getting "SMF Installer" need to fix files that need to be writable and are not. 

I've set the permissions as outlined in the Installation post in this forum and I've double checked them.  They are all set properly - yet the SMF installer page keeps coming up and it also keeps telling me that it can't set them itself.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong?

Jeanne

[Unknown]

That guide does not outline all the files properly as of Beta 5 Public.  I recommend you either give it the FTP information - which won't be saved anywhere - or chmod everything 777. (there's a long list.)

-[Unknown]

jeannedb

Thanks - for some reason even after I chmod everything 777 - it still wouldn't work.   After trying several combinations of how my ftp info should go in the installer - SUCCESS!

Thanks for your help...as always I appreciate it.

Tomer

Could you share with us which format you used, cause I also didnt get it.

jeannedb

oh geez...  I have to think now. 

I think what was screwing me up is that I had to have something like  "mydoman-www"  (without the .com.)  for the file location  (mydomain-www/smf) something like that.  It was however it appeared for me in CuteFtp when it shows my file locations -( not how the file location would be typed into a browser).  Maybe someone else could explain this better than I can.

Ben_S

I'll update the guide later, but it deffinatly does work if everything is 777 since I have done many test installs on a box that doesnt have any ftp daemon on it.

Did you also chmod 777 the directory containing smf?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jeannedb

Quote from: Ben_S on May 08, 2004, 07:31:45 AM

DOH!  Nope - I didn't.  Thanks for the heads up since I'll be installing another one soon.

Simple Machine

Quote from: Ben_S on May 08, 2004, 07:31:45 AM
I'll update the guide later, but it deffinatly does work if everything is 777 since I have done many test installs on a box that doesnt have any ftp daemon on it.

Does not for me. I;ve done everything in bthe book. I have enerd my info about 60 billion times and it never works. I've done everything 777. I've played with my path. Nothing works at all!
EDIT: I'm sorry to say this but I might have to switch to YaBB Gold/IPB.  At least it's possible to install those.

Tomer

Quote from: Simple Machine on May 08, 2004, 11:11:53 AM
EDIT: I'm sorry to say this but I might have to switch to YaBB Gold/IPB.  At least it's possible to install those.

If this was my first time with SMF and it was like this, I would also would go to someone else. But I know SMF and its much better then anyone else! So dont let a small first impression problem stop you from using SMF, cause its really great.

jeannedb

Installed my second yesterday morning with everything chmod 777 (including the SMF directory) and it worked like a breeze!  The only concern I would have if it's not installing for you - is it possible that your mysql or php versions are off?  I have no clue if that's what would cause a problem  -  just something else to think about.

Jeanne

Oldiesmann

Simple - please don't give up yet. The wording of the FTP stuff in the install file is a bit confusing. Chances are you just misunderstood what they want for the path (I did too the first time). Although it says the relative path, chances are you need the full path (ie /home/user/public_html/smf). I finally figured this out after trying the "relative" path several times ("relative" as in the path relative to the root folder). The ftp address is usually either yourdomain.com or ftp.yourdomain.com, and the username and password are the same as what you always use to connect to your FTP server. If you still can't get it to work, contact me and I'll see what I can do. I know that this can be frustrating, but there's no reason to give up.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

No, it is not the full path, it is the relative path.  Example.... you go into FTP.  If you say "cd /home" it will say "500 Not found!" because there is no /home/you/home.

In FTP, you are USUALLY *LIMITED* to a certain directory.  When SMF contacts the FTP server, it is JUST LIKE when you contact it.  It cannot go outside the "box" either.  It is not special - it's all the same FTP.

-[Unknown]

Oldiesmann

Yeah, now that I think of it, I did do it relative to the root directory... :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Jeff Lewis

Yeah that step needs some work, was a very confusing step. Asks for install path and i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't connect :)
Co-Founder of SMF

[Unknown]

The biggest problem is it wasn't defaulting properly, but now it does.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: