News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Special Characters and Symbols Insertion

Started by Chas Large, June 13, 2011, 10:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Well, my point is that using an IMAGE is probably the wrong way to go about doing this.

the characters and symbols can all be done using html entities -- and that's how they SHOULD be done so that screen readers and google, etc can properly parse the content.

That way, you don't worry about font or size...   using the entity means that the system correctly displays in the current font and size along with every other bit of text.

However, if you want to update the mod -- contact the author and ask him to hand the license to you...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

I hope it's clearer now why I need the images.

Luckily, the author left a homepage on his profile that is still working and up to date, so I wrote him in the contact form of the site. Keeping my fingers crossed.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GigaWatt

OK, the author replied to my email and made it clear that I can modify and/or redistribute as I wish. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the entire content of the email (I'd have to ask). Unfortunately, the author is having some health issues and can't edit the mod's license agreement at the moment.

Can I customize this mod and post it as my own, clearly noting who is the original author of the code?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Kindred

If you/he can send an email to the customization team
and
you agree to take over support of the mod

then the mod can be transferred to you and you can upload an updated version...   or you can submit your own version.

We do't typically like to see mods included as attachments, because that means that there was no review.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

I don't think he wants to transfer the mod and the rights to the mod, as well as the support, to me... I think what he meant in the email is that anyone can edit or copy the mod as they wish... I don't know which license would cover this.

I would much rather submit my own version of the mod. Is that permitted, even under the license (no license, Berne Convention) this mod is published under? I'd include the original author of the code and the code would not be identical to the original mod (well, mostly the same, but not identical). And, of course, I'd open a regular mod request (with the support topic and everything).

Kindred

it's only allowed if the author has either changed the license to a permissive one or granted you specific permission to republish his code...  hence my indication that a message to the customization team is needed.
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

OK, I'll pass that along.

Does the customization team have an email? I don't think he'll log in the forum, so I might pass that along as well. PM me if it's not allowed to share it in public.

Illori

the cust team directly does not have an email address, you could have the email sent to [email protected] and we can take care of it from there.

GigaWatt

GigaWatt

A license has been added to the mod, which, as I understand, allows modifying and redistributing the code, as long as the license agreement is present in the redistributed and/or modified work. Correct?

Advertisement: