News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Allowed Users

Started by Valconeye, August 29, 2003, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valconeye

have for each board a way to limit, or give access, wether by playername or membergroup (both) have the options, everybody can access, members only, members only (hidden), selected, selected (hidden), password protect, and for each of these options have a place where you can select users and membergroups.

Spaceman-Spiff

i think most of those (if not all) are already done

[Unknown]

Password has not been included, but I'm going to bring it up so we can consider it.

Hidden but accessable hasn't been implemented because I can't think of a use for it.  It makes no sense to me.  If you can explain a logical use for it, then we can talk. (I'm sure there is one, but I'm just at a loss.)

-[Unknown]

Valconeye

hidden, for use of a staff board :) i use selected (hidden) for my staff board and it works really good.

Also a way to limit access by username, cause i have had peeps spam in boards and it would be nice to have a way to single out that user so they dont have access to the board.

Overseer

just out of interest. how is the 'charter members' board here set?

[Unknown]

No one can see them who can't access them.

I don't understand why you'd want:
- board no one can see but everyone could access.
- or a board everyone could see but no one coudl access.

Here, everything's logical - if you can see it, you can access it.  If you can't see it, you can't access it.

-[Unknown]

Grudge

I'm with Unknown. I'm struggling to understanding the point of a hidden board everyone can access. Unless it's supposed to be some kind of game - in which case pah!
I'm only a half geek really...

Tom

I do see a point for them too see but can't access. Like if you have it so certin member groups can post on x board when they have y posts, you may want them to be able to see it to encourage them, or even just to let them know that something else is out there. (Or seomthing like that.)

This was the only thing I liked about phpBB. The permissions system was good. Sticky, lock, edit posts, view, access, exc. You could decide who could do exactly what.

Grudge

Tom, it would be ULTRA easy to make it so members can see a board they can't post on. (I believe)

However, what unknown pointed out was a hidden board that people can access - which is ridiculous. :)

There is NO way you could possibly be dissapointed with the permissions system in SMF - well - I can't imagine how you could be :D
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

You could make it so they could read but not post...

In fact, you can even ban people so they can only read...

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: