Cache problems

Started by Curbow 5, May 28, 2004, 03:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curbow 5

I'm sure it's a server config problem, as i didn't have this problem until a few days ago, but somehow my SMF is freaking out! It switches between different server times (from a few days ago until the present) causing the forum to not display messages which were posted 'in the future' and causing lot's of session errors, stuff like that. I emptied out my cache and cookies in FireFox, IE and Opera, but it keeps happening. You can test it through my test / test account.

My SMF and config

Maybe somebody knows where the problem lies? My host hasn't responded yet...

Grudge

It sounds like a server problem. The server seems to be switching it's current time (from what you said) which would result in messed up message times, sessions etc
I'm only a half geek really...

Grudge

*Bump*

Details are in your pm inbox.

Curbow 5

QuoteHey, Curbow 5, you don't have any messages at the moment.

??? forgot to hit the 'send' button?

anyway, i just noticed, it doesn't shift time when using a regular date() command..... could it have something to do with the session_cache_limiter?

Grudge

Hey,

Sorry - I actually replied to the wrong thread - that was suppose to go in the cookies thread! Anyway - I'm havng a look at your server. session_cache_limiter is set to nocache which is fine.

I don't understand what you mean by it "doesn't time shift" with regular date command? Obviously if you use date() on it's own it won't do the time offset command which makes the forum time correct for individual users. I notice that your server time is slightly out anyway (It says 54 minutes now and it's actually 48 minutes so the server is some 6 minutes out).

You said you changed host recently. Did you take into account the fact that the host may not be in the same country as the old one? The new host looks like it's in Europe, so will be on a different time setup, you'd need to offset it in the admin settings.

I'll keep checking the server to see if the time "changes" over the next few hours.

Grudge

Curbow 5

thanks for trying to help!

i wish my host would get back to me! i asked them if they changed any settings, but still no reply! the time offset is 0 by the way; it's fine for me and my members the way it is.....

what does 'Disable output caching' exactly do? should i use it?

Grudge

Apparantly makes it more secure as it stops it from caching data - can't do any harm to enable it ;)

Grudge

OK. Well - the forum time is still showing as 10.07, which was the time 2 hours ago - it won't update. Somewhere your server is caching data - stop it somehow :)

Curbow 5

lol, thanks i'm trying! already added a bunch of headers to the index.php, but still no success! anyone with more ideas? my host says he didn't change anything! :(

Grudge

Well - to rule SMF out do this:
Make a PHP script (called whatever you want) with the following contents:

<?php

echo strftime("%T");
?>

Now load that file in your brower, and make a note of the time it displays.

Then load it ten minutes later, and check that it is correct (has moved on 10 minutes).

Keep checking it periodically for a few hours. If the script DOESN'T output the correct time every time then your server is misconfigured. I'd appreciate a link to where you put the file too.

Cheers,
Grudge

Curbow 5

Grudge

OK. I have no idea. Simple and honest solution :) Hopefully someone else has a clue :D

Advertisement: