News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Calendar Bug

Started by rabbithutch, September 29, 2006, 01:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbithutch

The calendar has a bug in it when set to more than 65 years ago.  For example, Sept. 2, 1942 was a Wednesday but the Calendar reports it as a Thursday.  I haven't done any more research to isolate or identify the problem further, but I did compare the SMF calendar for Sep '42 to several others.  The SMF calendar is wrong.
rabbit
--------------------
Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

codenaught

I just checked my smf calendar, and I have September 2, 1942 as a Wednesday. So I am not sure why it isn't working properly for you. What version of SMF are you using?
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

JayBachatero

I have it as Wednesday also.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

kegobeer

What version of SMF are you using?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

rabbithutch

1.1RC3.

I first displayed the October 2006 page, then clicked the link to revert to September (lower left of calendar page) then selected 1942 in the pull down box for year.  The page displayed shows September 2 as Thursday.  Although I can't attest to the fact from memory, that date was a Wednesday - it's the day I was born.  I'm one of those 'full of woe' guys' and KNOW therefore that the display I get is not correct.
rabbit
--------------------

codenaught

I am still getting Sept 2, 1942 as a Wednesday. Can I have a url to your forum with a test account if you don't allow the calendar or the entire forum from access to guests? If it is private, then if you wouldn't mind pming the address to me. Perhaps you can post what you have some of your calendar settings in Admin / Calendar set to?
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

kegobeer

I also have September 2, 1942 as a Wednesday.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

rabbithutch

Here is the url requested.  I displayed it AGAIN just to be sure I was NOT having another senior moment and still get 9.2.1942 as Thursday.  My navigation from the home page was Calendar > select the previous month (Sept.) > change the year to 1942 in the drop down box > view.

http://www.hughmorson.com/pag/

rabbit
--------------------

NEMINI

Quote from: rabbithutch on October 01, 2006, 07:18:33 PM
Here is the url requested.  I displayed it AGAIN just to be sure I was NOT having another senior moment and still get 9.2.1942 as Thursday.  My navigation from the home page was Calendar > select the previous month (Sept.) > change the year to 1942 in the drop down box > view.

http://www.hughmorson.com/pag/

mine shows it as a thursday following your exact steps as well
signatures are boring.

Tony Reid

Are you hosted on a windows machine or Linux?
Tony Reid

JayBachatero

Umm if you go down the months the calendar stays the same.  Seems like a server side problem and date.

Eurika.  Anything before 1970 is not working.
Follow me on Twitter

Tony Reid

You got there before me - but yes that is exactly what I was thinking.

Tony Reid

JayBachatero

Well I thought about it once you mentioned Linux and Windows.
Follow me on Twitter

rabbithutch

OK, Guys!

Clue me in.  I'm running on WinXP/HE. 

Were either of you able to replicate the problem?  Was it something I did with the install?  Is it a problem with my host?  The web host is a Linux engine, I think.  I'm hosted on godaddy.com.  Do I need to report a server side problem to my host?

TIA
rabbit
--------------------

rabbithutch

Verified that my host is a Linux engine.
rabbit
--------------------

kegobeer

What version of PHP is your host using?  Also, can you switch to the default RC3 theme?

JayBachatero

That is the default theme.  He can try reuploading the default theme files though.
Follow me on Twitter

Tony Reid

Unixtime starts at Jan 1st 1970

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

Im not sure if its a problem with your os architecture or something going stray in SMF code.

Tony Reid

rabbithutch

PHP version on host is 4.3.11 according to the results displayed from phpinfo.php

rabbit
--------------------

kegobeer

Well, since this is an extremely isolated problem (I've never seen this before, and don't recall this being reported here before), let's go with a) server issue, or b) local software issue.

Have you tried uploading a fresh copy of Calendar.php to your Sources directory?

rabbithutch

On my system, when I downloaded SMF, I put it in a directory and changed all the files to READ ONLY.  From that directory I went to SOURCES subdirectory and uploaded the Calendar.php file.  I responded to 'overwrite' when Filezilla prompted.  I then went back to my browser and reloaded my page, linked to the calendar and navigated in the same way (backed the calendar, selected the year from pull down, etc.) and got THE SAME RESULTS.  In 1942, September 2 shows as Thursday.

I'm betting that it has something to do with the UNIX base year, perhaps an index somewhere starts with "1" instead of "0" or something like that.

I won't take up anymore bandwidth unless you guys respond asking me to try something.  I'll just ghost the thread.

Thanks for your interest and for all the great support.
rabbit
--------------------

Advertisement: