Just upgraded from YabbSE, now forum INCREDIBLY slow

Started by Adrift, June 03, 2004, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrift

I just upgrade from YabbSE to the newest (SMF 1.0 Beta 5 ) version of Simple Machines. Although my users and I like the new features it offers, the forum has become unbearably slow!

I searched the archives of the community here and found out there previously was a speed problem as a result of the search engine, which was corrected in beta 5. I've disabled the search engine anyways and there has been no speed increase. I've also disabeled avatars, compression, as well as optimized and repaired all SQL tables.

Is this a common problem? How do I go about properly diagnosing it and fixing it?

Thanks
Adrift

King

King

Well also i think its the Template if you change the Theme to The Old Yabb SE theme i notice a Improvement in speed try that  :)

Grudge

The new forum should be a lot faster than YaBBSE and the template shouldn't make any real difference as there is no real processing difference between the two.

A possible problem may be with the server. SMF is built optimised for the current version of MySQL (version 4). Check what version of MySQL you are running - if it's version 3 then it is possible that could be playing a part. If so it may be worth asking your host if they have any plans to upgrade to the next version.
I'm only a half geek really...

Adrift

Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 1.0 Beta 5 Public (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 1.0 Beta 5 Public
PHP version: 4.3.5
MySQL version: 4.0.20-log
Server version: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_jk/1.2.0 mod_fastcgi/2.2.12 mod_throttle/3.1.2 PHP/4.3.5 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7c
GD version: bundled (2.0.17 compatible)

Got the new MySQL so that's not the problem... The speed is absolutely horrible, It's really amazing how much its changed. Any other ideas?

King

But since my server im on got upgraded my forum is running fine

Server

Dual Xeon Processors and 2 GB of Ram

Adrift

Server upgrade is not really an option; if performance of Simple machines is supposed to be better than YabbSE you shouldn't ave to update your server

Grudge

Your server looks OK. Check cPanel if you have it and look at the server load. Is it shared hosting? Also a link to the forum would be good.

[Unknown]

Where, specifically, is it slow?  Can you give a link?

-[Unknown]

Adrift

the forum is hxxp:www.kitcar.ca [nonactive]  .
Yes, it is shared hosting, but before the switch I didn't have any speed problems.

I'll check into Cpanel, I don't know if my server has it installed or not.
Thanks

[Unknown]

If you want to give me ftp access via pm (please mention what it's for in the pm or I will probably never get to it!) I can add some debugging to figure out why/where it is having problems.

-[Unknown]

Grudge

Adrift,

To be honest your whole site seems to be VERY slow. I checked the forum and images are taking a long time to load, and when I ping it (from the UK), response times are consistantly around 750ms. Most sites hosted in the US ping back in around 150ms or less. Ping your site yourself and see what you think. If it takes 750ms to respond to a ping that means it's taking almost a second just to respond to the request - yet alone serve up all the data.

Adrift

I get a ping response time of 62ms - it's hosted on the west coast of Canada, so that may be why your ping is so much slower?
[Unknown] - I may take you up on your offer... any idea what the issue may be?

Thanks
Adrift

[Unknown]

From my location in Los Angeles it seems to load no more slowly than the images did, which was not fast... and I have high end DSL.

Pinging www.kitcar.ca [209.61.203.94] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.61.203.94: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.61.203.94: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.61.203.94: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.61.203.94: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=237

That looks okay, but...

--04:02:16--  http://www.kitcar.ca/yabbse/index.php
           => `index.php'
Resolving www.kitcar.ca... done.
Connecting to www.kitcar.ca[209.61.203.94]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

[  <=>                                ] 18,151        57.00K/s

04:02:21 (57.00 KB/s) - `index.php' saved [18151]

Looks bad, although the KB/s is okay.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: