News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaGuR123

Quote from: Feeble on January 24, 2008, 03:50:20 PM
Also I could just solve the issue straight out, by moving the quickmatch button, above the search user box?

Maybe a good idea, or even move it to the left and swap it with
"Create Quickmatch
Create a Quickmatch
or Browse below
"

Maybe easier , better

PLAYBOY

Since you are getting so close to get this mod done, i donno if you can do it but would you think about adding tournament (between members) feature?

I mean something like this picture?

I think it would be so cool, and members would love it. Also that would keep spending more time on the site.

And one more little request, is there a way you can make admin to make any kinda move in anybodys match. So an admin can make somebody elses move in the middle of the match :)

Thank you for your efford.

Smith Online

Hi,
Not Been on for a while but have been working on making the pieces look better and the board look more like a chess board and this is what i have come up with i think its great looking board and suits SMFChess well i have decided to give back to you my work for making a great mod Feeble your welcome to complie this with your mod  :)

ScreenShot   ;)

Below is how to get your chess board to look like the screen shot above: -

1. Download the stylish chess piece's Here
2. Upload the stylish folder to your "Themes/default/SMFChess/pieces/" Folder
3. Goto chess admin settings the change the settings as follows: -

Light Squares: #CD853F

Dark Squares: #8B4513

Border: #573407

Border Text: #CD853F

Chess Piece: stylish

Board Size: 50

Thats it  :D

I have also updated the SMFChess Images: -
black_pawn_small.gif
delete_pawn.gif
slice_rook.gif
white_pawn_small.gif

They are located in the download to use them just upload and replace the files in "Themes/default/SMFChess/images/" Folder.

Let me know what you think

Regards,
Smith Online

feeble

Quote from: JaGuR123 on January 24, 2008, 04:50:11 PMIs it possible to have somewhere a "awaiting challenge" or something maybe.
Also  this part of the PM sent to the challenged formating seems skewed, needs a space in front of the url
The message they sent you was:
vrnrnFollow link to accept my Challengernhttp://www.racehorsetalk.com.au/index.php?action=chess;id=11
You mean like "You have 2 Awaiting Challenges" on the challenge page, which links back to my page?

Also thanks for reminding me, I keep forgetting about fixing that.

Quote from: PLAYBOY on January 24, 2008, 07:18:42 PMSince you are getting so close to get this mod done, i donno if you can do it but would you think about adding tournament (between members) feature?
I have been keeping this on the low for a while now, mostly so people wouldn't get the wrong impression and also to try and get the basics finished.(like the language files  ;D)
If you can give me a couple of days, I'll put all my notes and scrapes of paper together, decipher the contents and put together a proposal. Then from there, we can discuss it in length.
My biggest gripe with Online Chess Tournaments is their length, so I'm trying to address this, whilst still keeping it competitive and fun.
This also begs the question, Would you prefer a different game then a Tournament addon?

Quote from: PLAYBOY on January 24, 2008, 07:18:42 PM
And one more little request, is there a way you can make admin to make any kinda move in anybodys match. So an admin can make somebody elses move in the middle of the match
This is already in, under "Add Move" in the Control area.

Quote from: Smith Online on January 24, 2008, 07:44:58 PMHi,
Not Been on for a while but have been working on making the pieces look better and the board look more like a chess board and this is what i have come up with i think its great looking board and suits SMFChess well i have decided to give back to you my work for making a great mod Feeble your welcome to complie this with your mod
It has been a long time Smith, hows things?
Thank you very much for putting this together, it means alot.
I've put a download link in the first post(I'm hosting the file, figured this was ok from your scroll)

If I can get your permission, I want to put this Chess Set into the main package.
Just wondering, what license has been applied to these images?

This also gives me an idea for something. If it works out, I'll let you now what that is. ;)

PLAYBOY

im not good at php, can somebody tell me how can i change the custom bar thing? i mean where is color? which places i can change? which one is size?

or if you can show me an example (with codes and pix) of your custom bar that may be helpful also.

Smith Online

QuoteIt has been a long time Smith, hows things?

Am ok mate not bad glad to see the mod is doing well hows yourself?

QuoteThank you very much for putting this together, it means alot.

Glad to help anyway i can  ;)

QuoteI've put a download link in the first post(I'm hosting the file, figured this was ok from your scroll)

Cheers ive updated the post with the download link to your host file

QuoteIf I can get your permission, I want to put this Chess Set into the main package.

Your welcome to add them to the main package

QuoteJust wondering, what license has been applied to these images?

The chess pieces are open source for anyone to use i first found them as part of a chess package and contacted the ower to ask if i could use them myself he said there was no need to ask as there were freely avalible to anyone anyway.  :)

I have found one small bug in SMFChess not sure if your getting this as not reported all it is my admin name does not display the last letter in the watching area dont really bother me but thought i would mention.

I have also thought of one more addtion which i think would make the chess board look even better and i have made part of it. Its chess board tiles maybe in the chess admin section you could add a section select chess board tiles. I think this would really finish this mods looks.

Belows are the tiles i have : -

DOWNLOAD ZIP PACKAGE CHESS TILES HERE

I really think this would make this great mod look great too  :)

One more chess piece set coming soon

Best Regards,
Smith Online

Assistance

as long as u create the admins can set up 2 players to play, not just the quick match
people can set up tournaments on their own

if u do go ahead with a new game, u will get more people interested
and if the code other then game play is the same, u will have more hands on the mod.

I like the idea of new pieces, new tiles, jiggle move, etc
personally I think they would best fit as an add-on
and not as part of the main package.

SMF has always been about non bloating software
its always nice to have 'everything'
choice should always be part of that nice to have ....
IMO
~playing poker~

Smith Online

QuoteI like the idea of new pieces, new tiles, jiggle move, etc
personally I think they would best fit as an add-on
and not as part of the main package.

SMF has always been about non bloating software
its always nice to have 'everything'
choice should always be part of that nice to have ....
IMO

I undestand what your saying but 5 tile images of 50 x 50 is hardly going to make any difference to loading time but would make a great difference to the look but there could be switched off in admin maybe and then just use the normal html colours instead of tiles.

Regards,
Smith Online

Assistance

apparently you don't

turning off/on that makes sense, for 1 idea

but that is not the issue of making things bloated
its when u keep adding ....1 more
the shop and arcade have mod packages to add on, for this reason
~playing poker~

Smith Online

Quoteapparently you don't

turning off/on that makes sense, for 1 idea

but that is not the issue of making things bloated
its when u keep adding ....1 more
the shop and arcade have mod packages to add on, for this reason

Bloated to me means loading times being slow due to too much to load (not download size)

Yes if there constantly new one's added all the time maybe then yes you could have a separate chess piece addon download to add additional chess pieces.

But at the moment with the one i have just done and one extra am doing i dont think there would be the need as a chess piece set for SMFChess is only 48.0 KB max.

Regards,
Smith Online

PLAYBOY

QuoteWould you prefer a different game then a Tournament addon?

I would prefer a tournament addon.

Godsongz

I'm planning on doing a tournament on my site, but due to the normal "correspondence chess" nature of SMFChess, there are some things to be considered.  In the chart that Playboy posted on the 24th, there were 4 rounds of play before the tournament was over.  I don't know how long games take for some of the rest of you, but a decent game of SMFChess against a skilled opponent will often take a month to complete.  So, 4 months to complete a tourney?  I don't think so.

I'm considering making my tourney a "live" tournament.  Players who sign up for it have to agree to be online for the duration of the tourney, or at least until they're knocked out.  With timed games of say 30 minutes, a 15 minute break between rounds, we could do a tourney like the one in the chart in 3 hours.  Sounds better than 4 months.  Any thoughts?

weightman

Fantastic mod. It installed perfectly with just a manual edit to the index.template.php which is custom on my site. But, the "Whos' Watching" feature is not displaying correctly on my site (bottom right of screen), perhaps because my site is wrapped inside a Mambo CMS and is in a fixed template (width)?

Screenshot: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/820/chesssz9.png

Link: http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=39&action=chess;sa=current

Any way to correct it? Thanks very much for the great mod.

feeble

Sorry for my delayed response, it was Australia day yesterday  :P

Quote from: PLAYBOY on January 25, 2008, 03:36:15 PMim not good at php, can somebody tell me how can i change the custom bar thing? i mean where is color? which places i can change? which one is size? or if you can show me an example (with codes and pix) of your custom bar that may be helpful also.
Either drop me an email or head over to SMFHelper where some talented people can give you help on getting the bar to look nice with your theme

Quote from: Smith OnlineI have found one small bug in SMFChess not sure if your getting this as not reported all it is my admin name does not display the last letter in the watching area dont really bother me but thought i would mention.
Quote from: weightmanFantastic mod. It installed perfectly with just a manual edit to the index.template.php which is custom on my site. But, the "Whos' Watching" feature is not displaying correctly on my site (bottom right of screen), perhaps because my site is wrapped inside a Mambo CMS and is in a fixed template (width)?
These two issues are actually related.
A while back, long names were causing issues with the board. Putting the pieces out of alignment.
So what was done to solve this was to limit the character length of the usernames.

What ill do to fix both of these issues, is that I'll increase the width of the Watching Column and increase the character limit.

To be honest thou, I have been thinking about giving an overhaul to the Chess Board page, but for the moment I stick with a quick solution.

Quote from: Smith Online
I have also thought of one more addtion which i think would make the chess board look even better and i have made part of it. Its chess board tiles maybe in the chess admin section you could add a section select chess board tiles. I think this would really finish this mods looks.
I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days.
I have a few concerns with implementing it at the moment. The main reason is that, its not a main priority at the moment, and I would prefer to focus on other things for the moment.
I would like to revisit this thou at a future date, who knows thou I said no to effects and highlighting when it was first suggested.

Quote from: Smith OnlineOne more chess piece set coming soon
Very nice, cant wait to see what you come up with.

Quote from: GodsongzI'm planning on doing a tournament on my site, but due to the normal "correspondence chess" nature of SMFChess, there are some things to be considered.  In the chart that Playboy posted on the 24th, there were 4 rounds of play before the tournament was over.  I don't know how long games take for some of the rest of you, but a decent game of SMFChess against a skilled opponent will often take a month to complete.  So, 4 months to complete a tourney?  I don't think so.

I'm considering making my tourney a "live" tournament.  Players who sign up for it have to agree to be online for the duration of the tourney, or at least until they're knocked out.  With timed games of say 30 minutes, a 15 minute break between rounds, we could do a tourney like the one in the chart in 3 hours.  Sounds better than 4 months.  Any thoughts?
This is a large concern of mine as well. I would love to know how that folds out.

Smith Online

Hi,
Another Chess piece set with maching board colours :) this one's better than the last i think.

ScreenShot   ;)

Below is how to get your chess board to look like the screen shot above: -

1. Download the Polished chess piece's Here
2. Upload the Polished folder to your "Themes/default/SMFChess/pieces/" Folder
3. Goto chess admin settings the change the settings as follows: -

Light Squares: #FFFAF0

Dark Squares: #666666

Border: #222222

Border Text: #FFFAF0

Chess Piece: Polished

Board Size: 50

Thats it  :D

I have also updated the SMFChess Images: -
black_pawn_small.gif
delete_pawn.gif
slice_rook.gif
white_pawn_small.gif

They are located in the download to use them just upload and replace the files in "Themes/default/SMFChess/images/" Folder.

Let me know what you think

Feeble your welcome to add this last set to your main package

Regards,
Smith Online

Godsongz

Very nice Smith, I like Polished even better than Stylish.  I just set this set and colors as my site's default, with the exception of #666666 for the dark squares.  There's still plenty of contrast between the light and dark squares, but now the dark pieces stand out a lot more.

weightman

Quote from: feebleWhat ill do to fix both of these issues, is that I'll increase the width of the Watching Column and increase the character limit.

Thats fantastic. Perhaps it would help to just move it above or below the chat window and let it take the full width? I have another suggestion for long term development. It would be nice to display some simple chess stats in the info center, like how many games are active or even have an SSI block so we could display such info on our main site (CMS).

Don't mean to be demanding though, it is a fantastic feature just the way it is. :)

Thanks!

Smith Online

QuoteVery nice Smith, I like Polished even better than Stylish.  I just set this set and colors as my site's default, with the exception of #666666 for the dark squares.  There's still plenty of contrast between the light and dark squares, but now the dark pieces stand out a lot more.

Thanks  ;)

I agree yes #666666 is better for dark squares i updated the post with your suggestion and new screen shot.

QuoteTo be honest thou, I have been thinking about giving an overhaul to the Chess Board page, but for the moment I stick with a quick solution.

I saw this screenshot of another online chess game that you may recognize i think the layout is good just maybe the users playing at the top rather than bottom & then under chess board you could show pieces taken. What you think??

Best Regards,
Smith Online

feeble

Quote from: Smith OnlineAnother Chess piece set with maching board colours :) this one's better than the last i think.
That was quick. Once again thanks and added to the first post.

Quote from: weightman
Thats fantastic. Perhaps it would help to just move it above or below the chat window and let it take the full width? I have another suggestion for long term development. It would be nice to display some simple chess stats in the info center, like how many games are active or even have an SSI block so we could display such info on our main site (CMS).
It was initially like this, going across the full weight of the screen.
Im working on a new design, and Ill share it will you soon enough, and you can let me know if its any good.
(P.S - Your more then welcome as well, to put out a design. I'm not very artistic. I'm lousy at stickmen :( )

Yeah I think that would be cool as well.
Should be simple enough. What I'm thinking of the SSI function, is that instead of echo'ing out data, the function just returns stats in an array. And then users can do what they want with it, be it in a tp block or somewhere on their site.
That means I can make up a simple TP block code, if a user requires it. And they can go from there.
Plus it means I don't have to worry about languages  :P

Quote from: Smith OnlineI saw this screenshot of another online chess game that you may recognize i think the layout is good just maybe the users playing at the top rather than bottom & then under chess board you could show pieces taken. What you think??
Some Chess right?
Yeah I like the design, it is simple and elegant.
Let me draw something up, and we can go from there.
Your more then welcome to do the same, just not a straight rip from Some Chess, Jon Link might get a bit annoyed.

Small Update on progress towards next patch:
Been playing around with selecting the chess set in the admin and user settings area.
I've added png file support. Which I much prefer, can't believe I waited this long to add it in.

Also added a scrolling box on the right side of selecting chess sets.
When you select a set, it will display a preview on the chess set, and display the contents of a Info.txt if it finds one.
What this means is that, you can have a small description or information regarding this chess set, who put it together, where it came from, history regarding the pieces etc.
As well as recommendations to use as your chess board colors, to go with the chess pieces.
Making this simple as well, so the users just has to click, and the colors are automatically adjusted.

new colourPicker

feeble

Ok uploaded a new version.
This will probably be the last big update before release.
-Language files are done.  :D There is no super grin, so this will do.
Only thing is that, I can't decide on redoing the ChessAdmin language file. More then likely I won't.
If I left any out, let me know but I think I caught all language snippets.
-New Colourpicker:
*Solved, uploaded a new build with fix for ie
Actually this is a lie. New colourPicker for firefox uers. About 30min ago, I wanted to make sure it was working in IE. To my surprise IE aborted the page as it tried to load. I have a feeling its to do with IE not liking dom transveral within a <form> tag under certain conditions or something. Its weird(I don't like IE so I don't mind all that much) but I'll get it working eventually or find a different one.
Also it seems to slow page loading, so more then likely I'll replace it with something else in another patch.

-Added png file support.
-Added native image size support.(0 in Piece Size in admin area)
Since we are starting to get different Chess Piece sizes I thought this would be a good idea.
-Added Chess Set Information Box
a scrolling box on the right side of selecting chess sets.
When you select a set, it will display a preview on the chess set, and display the contents of a Info.txt if it finds one.
What this means is that, you can have a small description or information regarding this chess set, who put it together, where it came from, history regarding the pieces etc.
As well as recommendations to use as your chess board colours, to go with the chess pieces.
Making this simple as well, so the users just have to click, and the colours are automatically adjusted.

P.S.: I was pretty lazy with the Info.txt files. So I'll fix that up later, or if anyone wants to create a narrative for a chess set they like, I would love to hear it. Possible history, maybe a good moment you had with it. Crushing Victory?

-Fixed PM's
Should be right now, no more \r\n etc.
-Added a 3 new Chess Sets to the main package
Stylish and Polish put together by Smith-online
and
a tribute Chess Set to Thinking Machine (Haven't got permission for this yet as I haven't received an email back yet, but I have high hopes)
Also the TM Chess Set is the first to use png image type. So it looks better, and is overall better in every way.
My new fav as well, I think it looks great.
-Added Captured Pieces
Simplistic at best. Basically just works out whats missing, and goes from there
-few other things here and there

Note: Ive amended Sources/Subs.php if you are going to manually update.
Just the create_SMFChess function near the end of file. Had to update to allow for png files type. But I've kept the size at 33px. So its not to large when you put it in a post.

Download link is in the first post

So whats left to do?
-add in the manual add game (this will be actually combined with the import)
-few adjustments to the elo recount.
-Possible board layout change. Haven't decided just yet.
-Tidy the files

Any issues with the release let me know.

Advertisement: