News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith Online

Hi,
Was playing a game last night and thought of a great feature that could be added : -

Pieces that have been taken shown under or on the side of chess board

Regards
Smith Online

Godsongz

Quote from: Smith Online on November 14, 2007, 06:00:07 AMIf ya stuck and you carnt move your king but your not in check you need to able to skip your move

That's called a Stalemate, scores the same as a Draw.  If you can't move any piece and you are not in check, game over.  There is no such thing as a "pass" in Chess.

Smith Online

QuoteThat's called a Stalemate, scores the same as a Draw.  If you can't move any piece and you are not in check, game over.  There is no such thing as a "pass" in Chess.

yeah that was a bad example i was just thinking if you dint want to move you could pass i have used this before in the uk but its not a feature thats important or needed really i just thought other people may of used this in chess like i have. (sounds like its not used in other countries)

But i think the: -

Would be a great addition to the chess mod what do you guys/gals think

Regards
Smith Online

flame baiter

Yes Smith, that would be a great addition indeed. If it doesn't clutter up the interface, that is...

JaGuR123

Quote from: Smith Online on November 14, 2007, 06:00:07 AM

Yes , i second this feature .... you wouldn't beleive it, i have been meaning to ask for this feature for ages , but alas i keep forgeting  ... Lol

edit: Even if it was just the names and not the actual gifs

feeble

Quote from: Smith Online on November 14, 2007, 01:26:39 PM

Ill look into it and try and find a good spot.

Merecraft

This is a fantastic mod, and massively popular on my forums.

One question... what happens to games that get abandoned half way through? For example, I am in the middle of one game, and my opponent has left the forum, never to return. Does the game just sit in limbo forever?

Smith Online

QuoteIll look into it and try and find a good spot.

Thanks Feeble  ;D

QuoteThis is a fantastic mod, and massively popular on my forums.

One question... what happens to games that get abandoned half way through? For example, I am in the middle of one game, and my opponent has left the forum, never to return. Does the game just sit in limbo forever?

Its up to you the admin you can delete the game or you could declare yourself the winner.  :)

Regards
Smith Online

Godsongz

It's something that you as an administrator need to establish a policy for.  On my forums, games that have gone stagnant for 30+ days are ended with a win granted to the last person to make a move.  It discourages people from starting games they can't finish.

Chopper

I get this error when trying to install:

!!Error in Package Installation

At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.
Install Actions
Installations actions for "SMFChess":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:  Type Action Description
1. Execute Code installScript.php 
2. Extract Tree /mounted-storage./Themes/default/SMFChess 
3. Extract File ./Sources/Chess.php 
4. Extract File ./Sources/ChessXml.php 
5. Extract File ./Sources/ChessChat.php 
6. Extract File ./Sources/ChessAdmin.php 
7. Extract File ./Sources/ChessFunctions.php 
8. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/languages/Chess.english.php 
9. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/ChessAdmin.template.php 
10. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/Chess.template.php 
11. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/ChessXml.template.php 
12. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/ChessChat.template.php 
13. Extract File /mounted-storage./Themes/default/ChessCustom.template.php 
14. Execute Modification ./index.php Test successful
15. Execute Modification ./Sources/Load.php Test successful
16. Execute Modification ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php Test successful
17. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs.php Test successful
18. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/index.template.php Test failed
19. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/languages/Errors.english.php Test successful
20. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/languages/ManagePermissions.english.php Test successful
21. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php Test successful
22. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/languages/index.english.php Test successful

Can anyone help as im desperate to have this feature on my forum?

Thanks

brianjw

I see you're getting an error on
18. Execute Modification /mounted-storage./Themes/default/index.template.php Test failed
I bet it's conflicting with another mod... So manually install that file...
You will need to open up the install.xml file in Chess.zip and manually make the edits in your index.template.php (i believe it's only the menu for the mod anyway)

You can also use the package parser ;)

sennad

Hello, how soon will this mod be finished (et), and is it safe to use it so far (what is main "contra"), and also when can we start to translate id (I translated admin panel cro version)?

Tnx.

feeble

Quote from: sennad on November 22, 2007, 08:22:03 AM
Hello, how soon will this mod be finished (et), and is it safe to use it so far (what is main "contra"), and also when can we start to translate id (I translated admin panel cro version)?

Tnx.

I really am sorry for the delays, but please note I am still working on this mod just taking my sweet time.

In its present condition, I would say its safe, but please note that there will be no upgrades untill it is actually released, which means between version you have to either manually upgrade or uninstall old/install new.
In saying this thou there is still bugs which is why it is in beta.

Contra? You might have to explain this better.

There is a couple of translations at the moment, you can see them in the first post, but they uncompleted and mostly to stop any errors that forums in languages in english will receive.

If you need me to explain any of this better, let me know.

sennad

OK, thnx Feeble.

Dunno. If it means that all scores will be lost with uninstall/install, then I can wait two, or three months, if new version will pop up in that time.

Thanks for mod Feeble, as for translation I translated for this mod croatian version of admin panel , but I am willing to translate whole mod when it is finished, so let me know when.

feeble

Quote from: sennad on November 23, 2007, 08:29:59 AM
Dunno. If it means that all scores will be lost with uninstall/install, then I can wait two, or three months, if new version will pop up in that time.
If you do install it now, any data will not be lost. Uninstalling will not destroy any table in the mysql database.

Quote from: sennad on November 23, 2007, 08:29:59 AM
Thanks for mod Feeble, as for translation I translated for this mod croatian version of admin panel , but I am willing to translate whole mod when it is finished, so let me know when.
You went into the chessAdmin.template.php and translated it that way?
no worries should break anything, proper translation files are the target for next version.
If you want to translate it then by all means.
Ill be putting up the required files and method of getting the translation done soon enough.

sennad

:)

QuoteYou went into the chessAdmin.template.php and translated it that way?

My poor written english :). I translated file you send me to (it is on first post of this topic) :), and I will translate all when it is finished and you can explain me then what to translate :).

I will instal mode now, tnx for info about instal/uninstal

DonaldJ

This mod rocks, maybe you can add checkers next? My members would love to see that. Its basically the same principle.

-Peace.
Help me out and Expose Your Music!

Godsongz

Hey feeble!  Happy Anniversary! :)

It was one year ago today that this thread was created and you introduced us all to your fantastic chess mod.  I didn't pick up the trail until this past summer, but hey, that just means I missed a lot of the early bugs right? :)

Anyway, thanks again for all your effort on this project!

flame baiter

1 year? Wow! Will there be 1.0 any time soon?

AllMassive

Hi - i installed chess 2 Days ago in smf 1.1.4 / utf-8.
Today i found plenty of Messages like this:
http://forum.com/index.php?action=chessXml;sa=update;sesc;id=19;timestamp=1196273122;xml
Kann das 'main' Template nicht laden.

Seems like its the same as the first entry of this Report.

Advertisement: