News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tagging System For Topics

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, December 19, 2006, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

kai920

Quote from: stefann on September 19, 2009, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: haerde on September 17, 2009, 04:58:12 PM
This mod is dead ...
I'm working with vbgamer to make some considerable improvements to this mod, a lot of which have been suggested here. I may post some screenshots later for comments before it's released as there are some fairly major new features, while of course maintaining backwards compatibility.

stefann, were you able to make any improvements to this mod?

Quote from: erlend_sh on September 16, 2009, 11:43:01 PM
Great mod! After some quick tests I immediately installed it on my own forum. We have yet to integrate the 'tag' button in our theme though.

Some feature suggestions:

- The "Add tag" process at the bottom of every thread could could be a lot smoother if replaced by AJAX, e.g. turning the existing tags into one big editable comment box (like when you double click thread titles as admin) or popping up a smaller input box.
- Additionally (and possibly alternatively) it would be nice if you could add several tags by putting commas in between, like suggested above and elsewhere I am sure. It's an accepted and expected norm.
- I would love it if this mod provided me with a few more permissions. Right now I can allow/disallow people to moderate the tags. How about being able to restrict certain usergroups from adding tags all together?
?

These 3 are very good suggestions also.

vbgamer, are you adding any new features? are you looking for any development help?

kai920

Here's a dumb question... when doing the db insert, could you use a TRIM command to take out the leading and trailing spaces? Would this not take care of the scenario when users enter tags with unwanted spaces, such as

google, gmail ,  google phone      , etc

// Insert into Tags table
      $smcFunc['db_query']('', "INSERT INTO {db_prefix}tags
         (tag, approved)
      VALUES (TRIM('$tag'),1)");

No scenarios immediately come to mind of a tag that must have leading and trailing space(s).

vbgamer45

Trimming would be good if it not done already.

kai920   don't have time at the moment to add features
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

backend

Unfortunately this is not working for my SMF version  1.1.11 .

It is failing at excution:

8. Execute Modification ./Sources/Post.php Test failed

any help is appreciated

kai920

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 16, 2009, 12:02:09 PM
Trimming would be good if it not done already.

ok, i think i got that fixed. no more spaces before and after tags :)

next up i'm gonna try getting the addtag subaction to take multiple tagS, separated by comma, instead of just one tag.

carbonize

Anyway to get the tag cloud to display on index page in SMF 2 RC2 ?
C a r b o n i z e

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

carbonize

Consider it requested then.

Only problem with tag clouds is having to trust users to spell the tags right. Have been discussing exactly this with the makers of a new forum script over at http://forum.esotalk.com/49/tag-cloud/

As I say there the only solution to that would be a 'show popular tags' option like in WordPress or auto complete using Ajax like when putting in recipients name in a PM on SMF.
C a r b o n i z e

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: carbonize on December 24, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
Consider it requested then.

Only problem with tag clouds is having to trust users to spell the tags right. Have been discussing exactly this with the makers of a new forum script over at http://forum.esotalk.com/49/tag-cloud/

As I say there the only solution to that would be a 'show popular tags' option like in WordPress or auto complete using Ajax like when putting in recipients name in a PM on SMF.

Interesting, if you decide to implement his suggestion vbgamer, don't forget about when the user chooses to "Add" a tag, you could restrict the user with a drop down box of the "available" tags (possibly even an option to add a new tag which would be permission based)

Just a thought I had after scanning the last few messages in this thread...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

sawz

installed and works like its supposed to, but i would like to show the tag template elsewhere. how can i include it say on boardindex.template?
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

vbgamer45

Check the modsite you can download the edit instructions to modify the theme and make changes to other themes if needed

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

LaughOften

SMF 1.1.11

Hi I had this mod installed yesterday. I added permissions for my moderators to be able to add and delete tags. Well it seems that the only ones who can go to any topic and add tags is Admin.

None of my mods can add tags to a topic unless they start a new topic.

How can this be fixed. Checking it in permissions does not give anyone any permissions to do anything.

Thanks in advance

DUNBAR

I have this installed on 1.1.11,  and is there a setting to allow only the administrator to remove tags?

Also, can I create a benchmark  to allow members have to get to, like 100 posts before having this ability?

It seems that a member has  the ability to spam the site with zero posts,  working through the tag system , accomplishing what they are set out for.

Cannot find settings for this issue.

vbgamer45

Currently those settings do not exist in this mod at this time.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

stefann

Quote from: kai920 on December 16, 2009, 03:32:22 AM
As you can probably guess by the slow reply, unfortunately I got a bit caught up with other things over the break. While I have already made some improvements that I'm using on my own site, I haven't been able to tidy them up and integrate them in to the other changes yet.

I do need to rewrite these modifications anyway as I'll be moving my site to SMF2 soon and tagging is an integral part of it, so they will get done.
full time lurker on freenode #smf

kai920

Quote from: stefann on January 02, 2010, 08:40:03 PM
Quote from: kai920 on December 16, 2009, 03:32:22 AM
As you can probably guess by the slow reply, unfortunately I got a bit caught up with other things over the break. While I have already made some improvements that I'm using on my own site, I haven't been able to tidy them up and integrate them in to the other changes yet.

I do need to rewrite these modifications anyway as I'll be moving my site to SMF2 soon and tagging is an integral part of it, so they will get done.

What changes did you make, and are any of them viewable on your public site? :)

stefann

Unfortunately my forum is private, and I do not have the changes set up on any public sites, but a simple run down is:
- (option to) change tag entry from a single editbox to an array of checkboxes to simplify tag selection on some forums where it's suitable, using a nested tree structure with javascript
- pretty icons on board index and message index for tagged topics
- revamped permissions to allow more flexibility
- a lot of little cosmetic changes

and what I still need to get done:
- finish suggestion of tags and new tags
- create the moderation page (to add new tags, modify tree structuring of tags and whether parent tags are autotagged or even taggable, approve suggestions, etc)
- improve appearance of action=tags page to conform with the rest
- and more that I've probably forgotten

So I've done most of the major work I wanted to do, it's now mostly the little UI things. All of this is written for 1.1 too so things will need to be changed to make it to 2.0 release, which hopefully vbgamer will be able to assist with once I get a chance to actually do this.

Edit: WYSIWIG editor fail
full time lurker on freenode #smf

Eclipse16V

Nice Mod

Here is an Error

old
<file name="$themedir/Display.template.php">
<operation>
<search position="replace"><![CDATA[// Show the lower breadcrumbs.]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[

// Tagging System
echo '
<div class="clearfix windowbg largepadding">

<b>', $txt['smftags_topic'], '</b>';

foreach ($context['topic_tags'] as $i => $tag)
{
echo '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;tagid=' . $tag['ID_TAG']  . '">' . $tag['tag'] . '</a>&nbsp;';
if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('smftags_del'))
echo '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;sa=deletetag;tagid=' . $tag['ID']  . '"><font color="#FF0000">[X]</font></a>&nbsp;';

}

global $topic;
if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('smftags_add'))
echo '
&nbsp;<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;sa=addtag;topic=',$topic, '">' . $txt['smftags_addtag'] . '</a>';

echo '
</div>';

// End Tagging System

// Show the lower breadcrumbs.</div>';

]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

new
<file name="$themedir/Display.template.php">
<operation>
<search position="replace"><![CDATA[// Show the lower breadcrumbs.]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[

// Tagging System
echo '
<div class="clearfix windowbg largepadding">

<b>', $txt['smftags_topic'], '</b>';

foreach ($context['topic_tags'] as $i => $tag)
{
echo '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;tagid=' . $tag['ID_TAG']  . '">' . $tag['tag'] . '</a>&nbsp;';
if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('smftags_del'))
echo '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;sa=deletetag;tagid=' . $tag['ID']  . '"><font color="#FF0000">[X]</font></a>&nbsp;';

}

global $topic;
if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('smftags_add'))
echo '
&nbsp;<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=tags;sa=addtag;topic=',$topic, '">' . $txt['smftags_addtag'] . '</a>';

echo '
</div>';

// End Tagging System

// Show the lower breadcrumbs.]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

vbgamer45

I can't find that code in tags.xml or tags2.xml are you using a modified tagging system mod?

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: