nneonneo's Shoutbox

Started by nneonneo, December 26, 2006, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vade

Hey, the mod looks amazing I've tried adding in it to the WoW-dk theme and managed to have it display however its crammed over on the right hand corner under the header, any ideas on how I could have it display on the left and preferably not tiny. :)

Coronas

I love this mod...but...im getting an error when trying to install it. An error for the index.template.

nneonneo

OK, can you send me your index.template.php (post, PM or e-mail)? I will try to see if any mods have modified the anchor code.
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

chep

Quote from: akulion on December 27, 2006, 11:57:09 AM
installed and uninstalled for me just fine

but the position of the shoutbox is a bit awkward in my opinion

Amen - I dont want a shoutbox on the top of my page. Depending on the user community of course - but more mindless topics and discussions happen in the shoutboxes.

To me it would be a lot more suitable in the info center. How can I do that?

nneonneo

OK, here is the code to put in BoardIndex.template.php. Find
// This is the "Recent Posts" bar.
Before that, add
// YSHOUT HERE
echo '
<tr>
<td class="titlebg" colspan="2">Shout Box</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="windowbg2" id="yshout" colspan="2">...loading shoutbox...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
</td>
</tr>
';
// YSHOUT END

I have tested this on my forum and it does indeed work. Of course, you have to remove
// YSHOUT HERE
echo '
<br /><b>Shout Box</b><br /><br />
<div id="yshout"', empty($options['collapse_header']) ? '>' : ' style="display: none;">','...loading shoutbox...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></div>';
// YSHOUT END
from index.template.php for this to work.
Make sure to backup the modified files.
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

chep

Ok . That is where i want it.

Problem is that now it doesnt render a shoutbox.

Keep in mind I am using the black rain theme.

It just says "...loading shoutbox..."

chep

Now I backed up my files and now I cannot uninstall this because of a problem in the default/index.template.php Weird. That's something on my end here... I'll have to restore back to last week's entire source backup now.

This paints a bigger picture for me though.

The mods are closely tied to the themes too much still. Hopefully future versions of SMF will allow code changes without too many theme changes for the most part. I've seen half a dozen threads declaring mods only work on default themes and such...

Totosfo

Quote from: chep on January 19, 2007, 06:12:38 AM
Ok . That is where i want it.

Problem is that now it doesnt render a shoutbox.

Keep in mind I am using the black rain theme.

It just says "...loading shoutbox..."

I have the same problem as chep. My users would like to see the shoutbox below the board index in the info center as well. I implemented the changes you suggested (adding the lines to BoardIndex.template.php and removing them from index.template.php) and I now get the message ...loading shoutbox... only. The shoutbox worked perfectly before.

I'm using the default theme. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas
Cheers,

Thomas

sparky33

nneonneo, why don't you just put this in a box, would be so much better, it's too open and interfering, I appreciate the work you've put into it (I wouldn't even know where to start) but it seems it's not exactly user friendly
www.dublinforums.org

www.renaultforums.co

chep

I truly think shoutbox, quick reply and gallery should just be out of the box features of any forum software. Something you can turn on if you want them :-) Maybe they will consider that some time. Just thinking out loud here. Also appreciating the efforts for free software. I am just a poor hack and dont have the time to invest writing entire mods even if I did have those skills.

nneonneo

Hmm, I don't know why it might freeze or fail to load (it works on my forum but I did not test extensively).

Try this:
Change
<td class="windowbg2" id="yshout" colspan="2">...loading shoutbox...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
               </td>
To
<td class="windowbg2" colspan="2"><div id="yshout">...loading shoutbox...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></div>
               </td>

and see if it works (some browsers may not like the first form)

FYI: errors in uninstallation are caused by the removal of the code fragment; undoing all changes (BoardIndex and index) will make it uninstallable.
spammers here!

chep

I tried that too and it did not work for me. Oh well. Looks like a nice shout box.

Correct. I Could not un-install because I forgot where to replace this guy the first time.

Quote// YSHOUT HERE
      echo '
                     <br /><b>Shout Box</b><br /><br />
                     <div id="yshout"', empty($options['collapse_header']) ? '>' : ' style="display: none;">','...loading shoutbox...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></div>';
      // YSHOUT END

Totosfo

Hi nneonneo,

it's working again, but maybe I've run into a bug (which occurs only when moving the sb to a different place):

If the header box (showing your stats, etc.) is visible, the shoutbox works well in the info center at the bottom. But as soon as the header box is collapsed, the sb in the info center displays '....loading shoutbox....' only again.

Somehow / somewhere there is still a link to the box at the top which needs to be broken or amended.

Thanks,

Thomas
Cheers,

Thomas

Daggers

I have loaded this into two themes, Dilbermc and AA_New_Damage with varying results.

I too prefer the shoutbox at the bottom and not at the top and have used the code from these forums to put it into place. I have come across 2 problems so far...

The ...loading Shoutbox... was only appearing when you were on the forums as a guest, once logged in this then displayed the posts.

Also, when it is working in AA_New_Damage, it is not completing the the path to the smileys  EG:  /Smileys//gbxsmile.gif when it should read /Smileys/{folder name}/gbxsmile.gif

I would really like to get this mod working within the themes because it looks like the best one out there.

Thanks in advance

chep

Quote from: Totosfo on January 20, 2007, 05:15:58 AM
If the header box (showing your stats, etc.) is visible, the shoutbox works well in the info center at the bottom. But as soon as the header box is collapsed, the sb in the info center displays '....loading shoutbox....' only again.

Somehow / somewhere there is still a link to the box at the top which needs to be broken or amended.

About 80% of the time I have that closed. So that might be the reason why it didnt work for me earlier. I'll be waiting until it is figured out. Once it is, I will install it again. I like this shoutbox. It looks like it is better than the other ones for me. No offense to the other shout box crafters.

xsharewarex

I have installed nneonneo's shoutbox successfully in my smf ver 1.1.1 but I am not sure how to activate it. I am not able to see the shoutbox in my forum above my boards.

Please help me out to activate this shoutbox.

Thanks & Regards
XsharewareX

Daggers

I now have this fully working on two forums, one using Dilbermc an the other using AA_New_damage, and both are positioned in the info center without any problems at all :D

The third that I am trying to do will not display the smilies, in any theme. It does not pick up the folder which the smileys are in......   /Smileys//smile.gif
Also, when you enter a topic within the forum the browser detects a javascript error  :(

I have read through all of the posts here but nothing solves this problem

Any and all help would be appreciated

chep

I now have it working on the info center as well on the black rain theme after carefully following instructions. I was inadvertently copying the <![CDATA[ into the php which doesn't help at all.

Correct it does not show the smileys. It would be nice to get that working.

Also, as mentioned above. When  you collapse the header it also collapses the shoutbox in the info center as a weird looking side effect. Can we get a working solution to that?

nneonneo

I don't know why some forums fail to detect the smileys. I use the standard SMF BBC parsers, so there shouldn't be any problems. I will have to look more deeply into this (this has not been reported often, but often enough to suspect that there is a problem)...

As for the collapsing shoutbox problem, it's because the header code is still linked to it.
Quick fix:
Find ', empty($options['collapse_header']) ? '>' : ' style="display: none;">','
and replace it by a single >, so the line looks something like
<div id="yshout">...loading shoutbox...
That should fix the odd vanishing shoutbox.
spammers here!

DLElement

This mod doesnt work for me
i install it but see no shoutbox
=[

Advertisement: