News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] IPB 1.3.x

Started by JayBachatero, January 28, 2007, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBachatero

I believe that I fixed this in the new file that I put up.  I guess yours stayed there from the previous conversion.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Puc conDoin

This week I found out that I have a "little" problem on the converted board:

One of the admins on the converted board was able to login, see all the forums and was able to perform all the admin/mod actions. But this admin couldn't login to the admin-controlpanel, and she wasn't able to update her own profile.

First, we didn't have any idea what the problem was. But when this admin set a new password, she didn't have above problems anymore.

Later, various users were complaining that they couldn't edit their profile anymore. I suggested to them that they needed to set a new password. They couldn't do that trough their own profile. They had to log out, and use the "Forgot your password?" option. This fixed the problem for them.

Some users don't have this problem. I was able to login, to use all my admin rights, get into the control panel and edit my profile with no problems.

Something seemed to be wrong with the passwords. Is it possible that the converter caused this?

vincent1982

Converting...
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting topic notifications... Successful.
Converting board notifications... Successful.
Converting moderators... Successful.
Converting permissions... Unsuccessful!
This query:

INSERT INTO `krajator_1`.silk_forum_membergroups
    (ID_GROUP, groupName, maxMessages, onlineColor, stars)
    VALUES
    (9 + 3, SUBSRING('-=Moderator=-', 1, 255), 50, '', '');

Caused the error:

No database selected

I have this error when I'm converting database from ipb 1.3.1 > SMF.

Please tell me what to do. It looks like, the converter is losing database connection.

JayBachatero

Quote from: Puc conDoin on February 22, 2007, 03:00:50 AM
This week I found out that I have a "little" problem on the converted board:

One of the admins on the converted board was able to login, see all the forums and was able to perform all the admin/mod actions. But this admin couldn't login to the admin-controlpanel, and she wasn't able to update her own profile.

First, we didn't have any idea what the problem was. But when this admin set a new password, she didn't have above problems anymore.

Later, various users were complaining that they couldn't edit their profile anymore. I suggested to them that they needed to set a new password. They couldn't do that trough their own profile. They had to log out, and use the "Forgot your password?" option. This fixed the problem for them.

Some users don't have this problem. I was able to login, to use all my admin rights, get into the control panel and edit my profile with no problems.

Something seemed to be wrong with the passwords. Is it possible that the converter caused this?
Might be related to the passwords and their hash.  I'll look into this and see what's going on.

Quote from: vincent1982 on February 23, 2007, 05:17:53 AM
Converting...
Converting permissions... Unsuccessful!
This query:

INSERT INTO `krajator_1`.silk_forum_membergroups
    (ID_GROUP, groupName, maxMessages, onlineColor, stars)
    VALUES
    (9 + 3, SUBSRING('-=Moderator=-', 1, 255), 50, '', '');

Caused the error:

No database selected

I have this error when I'm converting database from ipb 1.3.1 > SMF.

Please tell me what to do. It looks like, the converter is losing database connection.
Are you using the attachment on this topic?
Follow me on Twitter

mikev

I'm also having an issue with 1.3 -> 1.1.2.  Convert.php is timing out and not converting anything.

I found Jay on AIM last night, but to make my day worse than it already was, my DSL went down.  Thanks for looking at it briefly Jay, any more suggestions would help immensely.

JayBachatero

Hit me up today on AIM.  I'm going to have to debug the converter.
Follow me on Twitter

mikev

SlashDash

i downloaded the converter and the file but what next? i want to convert my invisionfree 1.3 to smf
Sub-Zero

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

LastMohican

Hiya Jay, just to let you know there's a small bug in the invision_to_smf.sql file
where on line 395 SUBSRING should read SUBSTRING (missing T character)

Pranav

Ok.The conversion was successful but after sometime i got error in the whole forum.It is this -
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/ulgaming/public_html/forum/Settings.php on line 32

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Buk

I get the poll error but I don't really care about saving my polls. Will this affect anything else or will my "converted" board work?

Thank you for writing this software :p

satchownz

Greetings all. I am running IPB1.3 and want to upgrade. I was wondering:

a - is this board THAT much better than it?
b - does the converter run smoothly
c - this may be a general question, but can SMF have custom pages?

I want the end result to be like this:
http://www.hikingnewengland.com/ [nofollow]

Thanks for any advice!
Cheers!

Lothy

a.) I think it's a matter of opinion for each person. I too am looking to convert from IPB 1.3.x to SMF, which is why I'm here. So far I like SMF more because it is actively supported, along with security patches etc. IPB 1.3 is no longer supported by IPS so it's hard to get help when you need it. IMO, SMF is safer to use and still free. There are some feature differences, some of which can be added with mods and some of which don't have mods written for them. But that's to be expected in any kind of software change. But really, I'm quite enjoying SMF.

b.) I tested a conversion of an IPB 1.3.x database the other day and it went *very* smoothly. Not a single problem, fast and easy. It was quite impressive.

c.) You can always alter your board's look and layout however you like if you have a bit of PHP and HTML knowledge. There are also lots of modifications that can help you get the look you want, such as TinyPortal, Ad Management Mod, Custom Pages Mod, etc.

I suggest doing a bit of reading around, investigating mods, maybe setting up a test board and playing with it to get a feel for it.
I'm a lurker. It's the best way to learn.

theonetruebix

Ok, so I hit that error converting poll options. I was using the converter on the converter downloads page. Is that converter a match to the one that was posted in this thread?

If not, and I'm in the middle of the conversion, will replacing the converter I'm in the middle of using with the one in this thread mess anything up?

JayBachatero

ATM the converters on the converter pare are not up to date.  Use the one on this topic.
Follow me on Twitter

chucara

Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting polls... Successful.
Converting poll options... Successful.
Converting poll logs... Successful.
Converting permissions... Successful.
Converting board permissions... Successful.
Converting smileys... Unsuccessful!
This query:

ALTER TABLE `smf`.smf_smileys
    ORDER BY LENGTH(code) DESC;

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LENGTH(code) DESC' at line 2

SleePy

Open the sql file

Find:
ALTER TABLE {$to_prefix}smileys
ORDER BY LENGTH(code) DESC;

Replace:
ALTER TABLE {$to_prefix}smileys
ORDER BY code DESC;

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

nyagi

Hi,
I'm running IPB 1.3 and SMF 1.1.4. I have uploaded both files, but when i run the convert.php, i get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/tacp/public_html/community/convert.php on

help please.

thanks!

Advertisement: