News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

Topic URLs don't change because they're permanent. If they changed then lots of links would break.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

pastramirye

Quote from: Dannii on April 02, 2009, 05:51:21 AM
Topic URLs don't change because they're permanent. If they changed then lots of links would break.

Ahhhh.
I see now. *slap head*
No need to continue this.
Thanks.

ellion

i have been using pretty urls for a while on my forums, i am very pleased with it. thanks for your efforts in bringing this to the community.  however,  i have problem,

i have moved one of my databases to another server and another domain and when i install prety urls to run on this new server and domain the url points to the old domain. i think there is something that is in the database like a cache or something that has all the old urls saved. is this so? if so how would i delet this cache and have my urls rewritten for the new domain?

if it is not what i think it is, what might be the problem? thanks in advance.

Dannii

Follow the second section on the trouble shooting page.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Neverhurry

hello,
After I installed the pretty urls mod, then i clicked the "shrink or expand the header" -that is a "-" button, then it came the  page:
"404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!"

this is where i clicked as shown in the attached pic.

the other place is the the "-" botton at the right side of the "info center" when i click it it gets the same 404 not found page.

i need this mod very much, so please help to solve this problem, thank you.
I am using SMF 2.0.1, curve themes.

ellion

Quote from: Dannii on April 03, 2009, 06:34:41 AM
thanks, i will try that.

ellion

Quote from: ellion on April 04, 2009, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: Dannii on April 03, 2009, 06:34:41 AM
thanks, i will try that.

sorry, 

which trouble shooting page, i cant find one.

Dannii

gourav

Quote from: neverhurry on April 03, 2009, 11:57:05 AM
hello,
After I installed the pretty urls mod, then i clicked the "shrink or expand the header" -that is a "-" button, then it came the  page:
"404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!"

this is where i clicked as shown in the attached pic.

the other place is the the "-" botton at the right side of the "info center" when i click it it gets the same 404 not found page.

i need this mod very much, so please help to solve this problem, thank you.
Exactly am facing the same problem and came here for the support,
so its the bug in New version that it converts the JAVASCRIPT too :(
Its the new link of Upshrink header ( + )
http://gstek.info/forum/onclick=%22mainHeader.toggle();
where it should be like javascript:mainHeader.toggle();

So plese help us to correct it as no one is able to use any javascript related thing???

_______________________________________________-

One more qs in sql database this table "forum_pretty_urls_cache"
Is increasing day by day even going to ne ner abour 70mb whereas all of mydatabse
size [ expect this table ] is just 50 mb???

Is it safe to drop this table or just to flush its contents??
Would it be better is authour of the mod do something
so that cache remains lower...

darklord2

Dannii, Does it support Persian topic names?

like this: خلیج همیشه فارس
P30Experts: Persian PC Experts

Neverhurry

i have come here 4 times today to see if anybody give me some light to solve my problem. I need this mod very much.
I am using SMF 2.0.1, curve themes.

ellion

Quote from: Dannii on April 04, 2009, 09:54:43 AM
http://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/wiki/TroubleShooting
This one of course
oh yes that one of course.

i cannot believe that fix actually worked that was some kind of voodoo or something.

anyway all is good  now. thank you :D

Dannii

I realise I've broken the javascript links... I will try to fix them soon. But it's not a big issue, just don't click them?

gourav, you can empty it, but it will quickly fill up again. Do you have a database size limit?

darklord2, no, though eventually I do want to add something like that.

Btw, anyone interested in helping develop this mod?

gourav

@danni yes i have limit of sql database, but that is not a matter here? I am concerned about gignatic size of cache? Cache of double size than the whole size of database? May i know whats d use of this table? What will happen if i delete this table? Isnt it possible to have this mod without having load on database?

And about javascipt? Please give us some quick solution so that we can ourself do it as there are too many java links in my forum and i have near about 1k active users ..

I am sorry 4 so many qs. :)

Dannii

The cache stores every URL. Each post probably has like 5 URLs... so that's why it's so huge. But without the cache it would need many more queries for each page view. The cache reduces the database load.

Well, you could go back to 0.9... that would fix the problems.

Bec

OMG! I just installed pretty url's for the second time (first time I got nothing but errors messages) and it stuffed up my whole entire site. Ok to explain about 4 months ago I changed my domain, after installing this mod, when clicking on anything on site (posts/boards etc) it was actually reverting back to my old domain. Any ideas why it would be doing this? I would love to have this installed on my site but not with it sending people to dead links. Im running 1.1.8

Dannii

Follow the second section on the trouble shooting page!

ferlo

Quote from: ferlo on March 30, 2009, 06:59:20 AM
ok done. now everything is without the www and seems working.
this means that prettyurl does not work with www in front of domain name?
Thanks alot!
It should work completely fine. If you have problems then your DNS must be messed up.
[/quote]

uhmm... maybe there is a problem with a WP installation, in domain root, and its .htaccess?

Dannii

Yes that could be a problem too.

MacX

Ok, i have just upgrade from 1.1.7 to 1.1.8 and mods stoped to work.
Pretty urls is one of them.

I have downloaded the lastest version of Pretty Urls mod, but when i try to apply it after uploading the compress file via FTP, it show this:

Execute Modification     SMF1-1/Sources.xml     Modification parse error
2.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
3.    Execute Modification    SMF1-1/BoardsAndTopics.xml    Modification parse error
4.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
5.    Execute Modification    SMF1-1/Themes.xml    Modification parse error
6.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
7.    Execute Modification    .Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
8.    Execute Modification    .Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php    Skipping file
9.    Execute Modification    .Themes/default/languages/Modifications.french.php    Skipping file
10.    Extract File    .Sources/PrettyUrls.php    
11.    Extract File    .Sources/PrettyUrls-Filters.php    
12.    Extract File    .Sources/Subs-PrettyUrls.php    
13.    Extract File    .Themes/default/PrettyUrls.template.php    
14.    Extract Tree    .Themes/default/pretty    
15.    Extract File    .Themes/default/languages/PrettyUrls.english.php    
16.    Extract File    .Themes/default/languages/PrettyUrls.french.php    
17.    Execute Code    SMF1-1/install.php

So i can't install it.
Why this errors? (Modification parse error)

I have done what you said to other user with the same problem.
I have created my own "temp" folder in "Packages" and i uploaded all the uncompressed file in it.
Then the error didnt appear, but when i click in install, it appeared other error, that it couldnt find the Subs-PrettyUrls.php in a "require" line, so i uploaded it by myself in the sources directory.
Then, i tried again and it worked, but i cant see the menu on the admin control panel although i am in english language.

I cant apply it without that panel...

Advertisement: