News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF & WordPress

Started by Stixsmaster, March 31, 2007, 08:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpMS

Quote from: jjgallow on July 20, 2007, 10:38:36 AM
Hello mpMS,

did you give $time a value?

and about the other thing...

I sent you a modified script when I released 1.07.  I sent you an email, explaining that it might work better on your internet site.  I'm wanting to know if you tried that script.
Got your message and will try it on monday.  Btw, can I get the hours difference on the smf database instead of manual entering it on the WP_SMF file?

jjgallow

Absolutely, there is a way to fix this.  It would take me a while to get all the coding done for it, though.  I'd have to call for two separate variables from SMF that aren't normally available in that function.  I'd probably end up modifying the SMF api file to do it.

Anyway, long story short, I will look at fixing, and improving, site integration...but not right now.  I want to make sure everyone has great user integration without any bugs.

jjgallow

OK, lol.

I feel bad now.  mpMS, I have included Time zones in the integration.  If you download a new copy of WP_SMF, you should be good.  I have not changed the version number for this.

Now, I felt it was more appropriate to tie this into Wordpress, where it will be displaying.  So, make sure your Wordpress time zone is set.  You can do this in the "Options" tab of Wordpress admin.

Enjoy  :)

ladynada

Hi,
I saw this and thought of you, hope it helps you
Import Users Plugin for WordPress

QuoteThis plugin was created for people who need to easily add multiple users to their WordPress installation. Simply give it a list of usernames and email addresses, specify the role of the users (subscriber, author, admin, etc.) and it does the rest. It will automatically email each user and give them their randomly generated password. It also has validation in place to make sure the usernames do not already exist, that the email addresses are not already in use, that the usernames are valid, etc. After it processes the information, it tells you how many were added, and upon error, gives you the reason why each failed.

I think this means, you could modify this plugin for wordpress to provide automatic registration of all currently registered users of an SMF forum - at least giving the SMF users the same username.

:)

there may be other things you could do..

nada

WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

jjgallow

thanks ladynada,

I will look at this, it seems like a great integration tool that could possibly increase the level of integration for this bridge.

Now, I don't know if you've been following the thread lately, but WP_SMF does already import your previous users....from Wordpress or SMF...to the other.

cheers  :)

ladynada

No I have only been glancing at the thread here, I did not know you have it importing both ways.  That is excellent.  Good Job.  I am interested in trying it out in the future. Right now I have too much on my plate...  alpha testing a new wordpress theme
check it out
http://heartdaughter.com/blogs/elijah/

If I can help with your mod, please ask.
nada
WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

zerone

Thx jjgallow  , the fix worked
hxxp:blog.fantasquad.de/ [nonactive]

jjgallow

Zerone:  No problems, enjoy  :)

Ladynada...Thanks, I will keep that in mind!  Good to hear from you  :)

mpMS

Quote from: jjgallow on July 21, 2007, 01:33:20 PM
OK, lol.

I feel bad now.  mpMS, I have included Time zones in the integration.  If you download a new copy of WP_SMF, you should be good.  I have not changed the version number for this.

Now, I felt it was more appropriate to tie this into Wordpress, where it will be displaying.  So, make sure your Wordpress time zone is set.  You can do this in the "Options" tab of Wordpress admin.

Enjoy  :)
Already got it jj! thanks again. Btw, one more thing,  about the theme integration, can we set viewable post only to public forum boards only?

As an example, I use this:
<?php echo SMF_EnSonBasliklar($limit=10,'<ul>','<li>','</li>','</ul>'?>

And it displays all post even on restricted forum boards that only allowed group/users can view. But if you click on the restricted post, it will prompt for a restricted board but can we remove it on the list?

jjgallow

Hello mpMS,

I will have a look, I'm sure it can be done.

First though, did you ever get IE to work?

mpMS

Quote from: jjgallow on July 23, 2007, 02:59:48 AM
Hello mpMS,

I will have a look, I'm sure it can be done.

First though, did you ever get IE to work?
Still not working on IE. It only works on firefox.  :(

brainiac744

OK, I've reinstalled and got the databases set back up now.

I integrated all users again (this time only two clicks, and the second time it actually told me it finished successfully)
I still seem to be having the same cookie problems, where if I login on SMF I don't login on the blogs (they're all blogs.domain.com/user [nofollow])
ALSO, I've had a chance to talk to some of my users now. My username on the blog (I assume since it begins with a, and is user 1) was most likely integrated properly, so my password works both places. I can see all the forum users in the blog's users section (seems more like the right number of them now too), but most of them can't login with their SMF password, and when they reset the password on WP the new password that is emailed to them doesn't work, and it doesn't update the password in SMF.

jjgallow

Hello brainiac744,

That's a little disapointing...I was suspecting far less hitches.

The number one suspect is usually the character encoding...are you using UTF-8 in SMF?

Hopefully I can figure this out quickly for you.

brainiac744

I wasn't originally, but I converted to UTF-8. Should I have also converted HTML entities to UTF-8? Like I said before, if I need to drop all the WP users that's not a big deal, SMF users on the other hand would be.

jjgallow

Hello brainiac,

I would imagine that this isn't the problem if you've already converted.   We should be able to figure it out, though.  I've PM'd you.

darkhors3

hey jjgallow,

been following this thread as I have a base forum started and am working on the wordpress part next. For now, just trying to get the pieces all working before I really role this thing out

Anyhow, I installed both parts of the bridge per your instructions:
Wordpress -> SMF works (no issues yet)
SMF -> Wordpress has a small issue

When registering on SMF, the user shows up in Wordpress (along with the password they chose in SMF)

The problem is that when looking at the users from my WP Admin Panel, I notice that any "new" users from SMF are not assigned any roles by default. In my case the default role should be "Subscriber". Without a "default role" automatically set, a user going from the SMF board (logged in) to the Wordpress board will get the following error: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

This links back to the fact that they have no role set in Wordpress by default.

Thoughts?

btw, great work so far!

jjgallow

Hello darkhors,

thanks for the feedback....I'm just realizing some of the mistakes in the way it sets user roles.  It's causing problems for a few.  I'm working on it right now, and will update when solved.

cheers

darkhors3

I am more than happy to help out in any way I can (but my skills only limit me to testing and giving feedback I think!)

Anyhow, I have an open question for everyone to see if a plugin exists or is this something that would need be be created:

What I am looking for is a plugin to handle the following:

- Posting in WP will auto generate a post in a specified forum within SMF
- "Comments" link at the bottom of the WP post would take users to the specific SMF forum post generated above
- Comments "count" would pull from the # of replies in SMF under related forum post

In essence, taking the comments functionality of Wordpress and transferring it to SMF to help consolidate user interfaction in a single place as opposed to dealing with comments on the blog and posts in SMF.

Thoughts?

jjgallow

hello darkhors3,

These are great ideas!

I am fully busy just trying to make user integration stable...and your problem is a perfect example of that.  As it becomes more reliable, I will begin investigating some of these site integrations.

Meanwhile, I've addressed your problem with users who register in SMF and don't have proper roles. 

I have released version 1.08 at:
http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource

It addressed a number of bugs, including that one.

CosminB

Hello, jjgallow!

First of all, let me just thank you for all the work you've done so far. I really appreciate it. :) And oh man, I've tested this plugin yesterday and already you released a new version of it. Way to go!

Second... well, I have a WP blog for about 8 months now and I decided to transform it into a portal dedicated to the city I live in. Basically I'll keep and improve the blog, add a forum (SMF), add a photo (and video?) gallery and a load of semi-static pages so to say, and I want to have it all integrated. I only have two registered users on the blog, so no huge comunity - just me and a helpful friend also involved in this project.

Now, I can tackle the problem in two ways:
1) I create a single user DB, so that you have the same login screen anywhere in the site with the same options (fields) and all that
or...
2) I use your plugin and integrate SMF and WP.

However, I have two problems. In the first case, if I choose to make an unique DB for users, as you also said, it will be very hard to upgrade either SMF or WP. Not to mention the amount of work I need to get it done. I'm just a rookie with PHP & MySQL, mind you. The advantage would be total integration. Is it worth it considering what I want to do?

Now, on the other hand, if I use your plugin, all I have to do is tweak WP & SMF a bit, integrate the design and make the rest of the pages. I can manage that, but since I'm so new to PHP & MySQL, I don't really know where to start with designing an universal login screen.

Yeah, I know I'm aiming high for my curent knowledge, but I can't postpone the site's development anymore and besides, what better way to learn than hard work, eh?

Sorry for the slight off-topic and the long post. Hope you can give me some advice.

Cheers.

Advertisement: