News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Share user database for 2 (or more) different forums.

Started by Spaceman-Spiff, September 03, 2004, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosemoose

You can create as many forums as you wanted, all using one database, one installation. Check out http://www.goosemoose.com and look at the 7 forums there.

nathan42100

is there a modification that does all of this...it would make it really easy for the wiki template to just have that installed...or some command that goes through all of the files and makes the necessary find and replaces?

nathan42100

but thats not what I want...I want a completely separate forum except for the userlist. Plus I want search engine friendly urls. I want 2 different installations that have the same userlists.

Goosemoose

Then use the code like in this thread and only change the members table to both point to the same place. Note that none of there other settings will transfer and you will have to maintain two different forum installations and upgrades.

nathan42100

I realize that. Does it maintain moderators and admins by any chance?

Goosemoose

That would not work correctly without some additional work since you are not sharing the groups table.

nathan42100

could you just share the groups table and it would work?

Goosemoose

I'm not sure. There is a cascading effect since so many of the tables have column that match up with other tables. The only thing I can suggest is to try it and see.

nathan42100

would the membergroups get screwed up if it said that someone was in a usergroup that didn't exist?

nathan42100

the membergroups are shared in the instructions...

nathan42100

sorry for triple posting, would templates get screwed up as well?

Goosemoose

Possibly. You'd have to try it out and see. Set up 2 test forums to try it out on. This thread hasn't been needed in a long time, so I have not kept up on those areas of the code, nor do I have time to look at it now. Sorry.

nathan42100

Its ok. Decided not to do it anyway, just gunna use a wiki. The wikitemplate isn't all its hyped up to be...

sodmanccc

hello,
anyone that has done this and would like to make some cash doing it for me PM me. please.

SaltedWeb

Looks like a great idea,
A mod to do this would be great, its just so time consuming to
do all this as we have 4 forums we could use this on.

Ohwell maybe someday, but great ideas you did here.

Cozmo
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Goosemoose

This has been replaced by two other mods. Do a search for Shared Forum and you will find them.

tbobker

This is good but what if i wanted to share all accept the default template. Would it be easier....i managed to get two forums sharing all, but the themes cannot be different and wandered where in the script it sets the theme so i could just put it in manually in one forum?

Roxius

What if I don't share the membergroups table?
I want different membergroups for each forum, if I don't share this table, would the forum crash?

Goosemoose

tbobker, you can look in the mod I posted, there's conversation about this.

If you aren't sharing the membergroups you might as well just install 2 copies of smf, in 2 different directories with 2 different database prefixes.

Advertisement: