You should fill in a username. Error

Started by mantralapse, April 15, 2008, 12:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantralapse

I have a custom theme I made, and for new registrations i get the following error:

An error has occurred!
You should fill in a username.

The form is identical to another theme it's based on, and the form works as it should from firefox (able to register a new account without any issue)

The other browser I am testing it is (and the whole theme was designed with this browser in mind) is getting that error. The browser in question has very limited support, like it has no javascript support what so ever. Serverside languages, html and css are ok though.

So my question is, what would cause the error? the browser support POST, PHP, and HTML which my page uses, but I notice there IS javascript present in the theme like onsubmit() to make sure the registration box is checked, but that is just a prompt so it should still work without that.

is there anything else I should be looking at?

Eliana Tamerin

What browser are you testing? Perhaps it would help to know that.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

mantralapse

its the ingame browser for EVE-Online, i've gotten my own forms working in it. but this error appears to only happen from the ingame browser

worst case scenario, i write a custom registration page and submit the info into the database using my own queries, but i much rather use what SMF has put so much hard work into developing

mantralapse

Found this on Drupal
http://drupal.org/project/eve_igb_fixup [nofollow]

I already have a EVE-IGB Theme I made for SMF and it works as it should. The Drupal site mentions some cookie quirks with EVE's ingame browser that causes issues, is it safe to assume this is the cause of the error produced when I attempt to register a new user via IGB?

I dont really care if the forums fully function in the ingame browser, mostly just want the registration to work through the browser.

Any input is appreciated!

EDIT: I did notice that SMF will log you in after a new registration, is it possible that when it attempts to log you in and the sessions error/bug with the ingame browser prevents it from creating the new user? If so, is there a way to disable the login after registration so the user can atleast be created?

Eliana Tamerin

You could probably ask someone to code you a similar workaround for your forum. Looks like that's what the solution would have to be, so that sessions are preserved.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

mantralapse

I dont really care if the sessions are preserved, i mean it would be nice but its not a top priority in having SMF fully working through EVE's ingame browser. I just want the registration system to work.

So if there is someone really familiar with the registration system in SMF that could point me in the right direction (like look at this function, etc) I can do the rest.

Back to my original question, if I remove sessions from the registration page, will it be able to register new users?

NomadX

I'm having a similar issue and would be interested in the answer. Using 2.0 bp3's SSI.php, I can not login an existing user. Login directs me to the forms/index.php?action=login2;ca... etc line and going back via back button or manualy just asks for log in again. The code doesnt do it with any other browser. It seems like the problem is that the EVE IGB doesn't handle cookies at all, but tries to make do with just sessions. If theres a way to completely disable cookies in SMF do let me know and I will give it a try.

NomadX

Advertisement: