News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Pulling members together?

Started by Chris™, April 25, 2007, 09:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris™

Whats a good way to get more members?

I have a few pages indexed im sure.
I am working on a new site, intregrated forums, more downloads, more tutorials, etc.

It is a graphics forum and i have ran out of ideas. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thoughts:

• Finish the intergration and website.
  • Cash compettions.
  • Cash rewards

Thanks.

KGIII

I think you are on the right track BUT I want to add that you probably do NOT need to use cash so much as you need time (probably) to get active members. In other words - bragging rights often seem to be just fine for a lot of graphics folks. What you can do is look in the mod's section of this site for stuff to hand out trophies or the likes and even offer access to different private sections of the board for winning competitions.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Chris™

I've had it up for quite some time. And I have a "Awards" system.

KGIII

I'd go with contests then - do you have a lot of members? Something like create a banner for the site contests, signature wars, etc... Those seem to (on the forums I've frequented where graphics gurus hang out) get people interested and working together even if they are really working against each other. It seems to make for some tight knit groups.

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

HoTmetal

Handing out awards was all the rage in the late 90's. Then all of a sudden, it seemed to disappear from the marketing scene. [for good reason in most cases] But in some areas its [over] due for a comeback. If you give out awards for graphics, keep up on it. Be more involved. Set a standard and hope to gain attention with it.

As for getting more members, there's no secret formula [well there is one but, the SMF team keeps it locked up in a safe place j/k] There are many things that contribute to a successful website. Some of the main ingredient(s) include content, and finding a niche in your market. Everyone and their mom has a website now days.  [Some have more than one] With new software like SMF , or even Google pages, anyone with something to share can have a site. We live in the information age. Adapt and Adjust. To survive you have to do it different , or do it better. Or find something that works  for you ...
Some books that may offer  help ~~~
Don't Make Me Think:

I just picked up Punk Marketing Its not a how to book, but more about keeping it creative and new. I'm not overly impressed with it, but it makes a bold statement. Its worth @ the local book store to see if its for you. 
There's a few good simple marketing books out there as well.

**edit Added links to some books, took some less useful ones out. Did I make this small on purpose? Yes, are you reading it, thats the question? :>

KGIII

Demon Customers and Angel Customers...

That should be required reading.

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

Advertisement: