My opinion on SMF

Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccraciun

This way i want to say Thank you! to all developers and contributors of SMF and it's Mods!

I am very familiar with popular forums running IPB, but only now, after installing and testing SMF for my own community, i could not understand why someone would use something else, thinking at all the customization an features available for SMF - and all of these for free!
I tried PhpBB but, just to exprim myself with diplomacy, SMF is much better! ;)

I wish that you will keep up the good work and i hope that my community will become popular - this way to be able to support  the further development of your great work.

Thank you!

domineaux

I got ragged into the mud for slamming all the Joomla commercial software extensions.

Joomla lets those payware guys advertise and promote their stuff for free.

I think they should at least have to pay for promotion.

The payware guys for Joomla are entrenched all over the Joomla community boards.

They'll nail you fast for talking down paywere extensions.  In other words, the payware boys have clout on Joomla.

It always irks me when people take free Linux, free Apache, free php and make a script and then sell it.

Then they usually don't sell enough of their addon to properly support it.

So, the poor buyer of an application that should have been OS all the while gets the stick.

I wouldn't mind if SMF put ads in the forums. Most of us know those click thrus are good for revenue for the site.

Ranjeet Malik

Better Than Others and whats this its FREE Too :-*

vmgamer

taha116

SMF is under appriciated and needs to get a chance in the spotlight like phpbb and stuff!

SMF Rules
"The man who smiles when things go wrong has though of someone to blame things on"
I forgot the name
BUY electronic cigarettes with rechargeable batteries as well as flavored refills for cheap prices and only 1-2 dollars of shipping!
http://www.ngcigarettes.com/
~Taha116

hafizadam

SMF is great and I installed all forums in my Organization's web using SMF..
haha I'm the Admin so no complaints..

most people didnt want to convert to SMF maybe because there's much work to do after that.. maybe..
(i never converting forum before so i'm not sure)
after all, their forum has grown really big..
they're afraid there'll be much work to do: changing code or something like that..
or the links will change... image, or looks..
whateva..

maybe you need to put demos in the converting thread..
before and after..
something like that..

btw, i love the link etiology..
even if I moved the thread into different category, they'll not change..

Luage

Quote from: Golden_Helmet on September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM
To be brief, this is the BEST forum software i've EVER used. I've never been able to install a forum myself, that is, untill i tried SMF. I've used quite a few forums in my time, and this one definetly tops them all.

Now, in to more detail. I'm fairly new to the world of installable forums (i used to think that if you wanted a forum, you had to code it yourself, good times :P ).When compared to my previous long-time favorite, Invision Power Board, the invision board seems as bad as that crummy phpBB board that php-nuke installed for me. When used on the same host (dhost.info is my fav), my old Invision Power Board 2.0 PF3 took an average of 0.3-1.6 seconds to create the page. With SMF, my average time is 0.02-0.3 seconds. Quite a nice difference. As far as SQL goes, i was getting SQL errors on my second day with IPB, i'm on day 4 with SMF and i havent had a single problem yet (and i havent optimized yet either).
Installation was also quite easy, and it would have been even easier is my damn FTP program would work right for a change. Asides from having php-nuke's phpbb module install some phpbb forums for me, i've never installed a forum myself before. With SMF though, even me, a complete idiot, was able to get a fully functional forum running in less than 15 minutes.
Let's have a look at things from an admins point of veiw now. The admin CP is easy to use, dosent take forever to load *shakes fist at Invision*, and i can do so much customization that i'm getting lightheaded.
Now, from a client's point of veiw. It may take a while to find the "Post new topic" button, but other than that, theres plenty of toy's for clients to play with in their profile controls, post options, and so on. SMF is fun to use as both an admin and a client, who could be displeased with that? :)
Now, for features, did you guys ever consider holding back on that? I mean, come on, this is a free forum, and it has more toy's than any pay-for forum that i've ever seen, it's just not fair (for them) :P

To wrap things up, SMF is fun, easy to use, powerfull, free, and everything in-between. Who could ask more? You guys did a great job on this forum system, i honestly didn't think there was anything better than IPB :)

QFT   :D

D9r

Quote from: Fiery on November 06, 2007, 01:32:22 AM
vBulletin seems better on the outside, but not on the inside. SMF seems real good on the inside, and ok on the outside.

How can SMF improve on the outside?  We appreciate any input.
Thanks

One thing that I like very much on vBulletin, and that I wish were on SMF, is vBulletins 'Suscribe-to-this-topic' feature. I like being able to mark a topic as a favorite that goes in a list for future reference. Very nice.

Other than that, SMF looks good. I haven't used it yet but am planning to. I just hope the xhtml/css eventually validates for 1.0 Strict, and the markup becomes clean and uncluttered..

青山 素子

Quote from: D9r on February 09, 2009, 04:04:10 PM
One thing that I like very much on vBulletin, and that I wish were on SMF, is vBulletins 'Suscribe-to-this-topic' feature. I like being able to mark a topic as a favorite that goes in a list for future reference. Very nice.

Use "Notify". It's the same thing (except topics you participated in are not auto-notified, and have a special area to avoid conflating things).

Quote from: D9r on February 09, 2009, 04:04:10 PM
Other than that, SMF looks good. I haven't used it yet but am planning to. I just hope the xhtml/css eventually validates for 1.0 Strict, and the markup becomes clean and uncluttered..

The problem with Strict validation is that it removes the target attribute from the a tag. We use this in things such as the links in our copyright, etc. The alternative is to use a Javascript function, which can be messier. Nevertheless, there is an option to force for strict validation in the upcoming 2.0 (on a per-theme basis) that uses the workaround. It's up to the theme authors to choose to enable this option.

There are a few other issues with missing functionality in strict versus transitional, but I believe the target issue is the main one.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Dannii

There's another option you know, not to use target attributes at all ;)

"Missing" is completely the wrong word too! Transitional was meant for legacy pages that couldn't be easily updated, it wasn't supposed to be the new standard. HTML4 Strict is what HTML4 is supposed to be.

HTML5 adds it back in btw. Has the team considered aiming for that?

Also, fake XHTML still sucks :P
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Tiribulus

Some may find this: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums?s=50009562&a=tpc&m=381003756931&f=6330927813 entertaining.

It's how I found SMF through a very experienced forums guy's enthusiastic recommendation.

As anybody would immediately gather my only experience with forums at all started on the 14th of January, but I have been thoroughly impressed not only with the package itself, but this community as well. Good stuff.

Eliana Tamerin

Very entertaining. The debate continues. Both forum softwares have their good points and bad points, and SMF does have those negative draws as well. But none of us would be here if we didn't like SMF. :P
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

coucnilhomeswap

i dunno if my opinion counts on this but i personally would not touch any other forum scripts with a ten foot barge pole. Simple Machines Rocks, Always has and always will.

The Community support i recieve on here nearly everyday is unparaleled. No other website on the World Wide Web can or ever will match SMF forums. If this ever happens i will show my bare butt cheeks in trafalgar square in london.

Antechinus

Do it anyway, just for a laugh. YouTube it too. Kthnx.

coucnilhomeswap

ok Antechinus nobody likes a smart ass. i was only messing as i know it will never happen. just been reading some comments about SMF on Hotscripts

Antechinus

coucnilhomeswap

i know you were mate. No worries

Antechinus

It would be funny though. Imagine the reactions you'd get. :D

coucnilhomeswap

Ive been looking at a few other forum scripts and to be quite honest none compare to SMF at all.

One script when installed didnt display the main template to the site properly infact it didnt display any images at all just the basic board out-line.

And well the other 3 were just s**t basically

Eliana Tamerin

Imagine the jail time he'd get! :P

Thanks for your vote of confidence, alan1979.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Advertisement: