News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Category description

Started by mf, September 25, 2004, 07:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf

If forums have descriptions, isn't it kinda unfair categories don't have them?

On the left, wB forum, on the right, SM forum.

Should be a ~really~ easy one, and since I can't think of a way to template mod it, I'm requesting a feature! :)

Burpee

Hmm... should definitely be added... I'm amazed this hasn't been asked before...
The only problem with it is that many themes might get messed up if you place an extra line of text there... but I do think people should definitely be given the option.

[Unknown]

Well, you could name the category:

Encoding<span style="font-size: smaller; font-weight: normal; display: block;">The techie stuff.</span>

That *should* work...

-[Unknown]

mf

Guess what's the first thing I tried ::). That messes up the tree view.

A.M.A

How about putting a regexp for ( $tree['name'] ) in the 'theme_linktree' function to delete the <span> tag!
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

A.M.A

in Index.tempalte.php look for
// Show the link, including a URL if it should have one.add after it:$resultTREE = preg_replace('/<span [^>]*>(.*?)<\/span>/', '', $tree['name']);
$tree['name']=$resultTREE;
this will hopefully work, only if you use what [Unknown] suggested above.

when editing the category name it will be messed up .. maybe changing it to a textarea will fix it  :-\
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

mf

Sorry for the late reply, but that worked. Thanks!

mf

Btw, [Unknown]'s suggestion causes a long invisible clickable area that collapses the category, which categories without descriptions don't have (display:block is the culprit). This snippet does it in a cleaner way (and uses the forum theme .css file!):
Encoding<span class="smalltext" style="font-weight:normal;"><br>The techie stuff.</span>

bagel50

hmm, I find that the name is cut off after a certain length (short). seems less than ideal to me: It should probably be an extra field, handled separately. Any more information people?

Many thanks,
Olly

Vinspire

Any screenshot of this trick ? Thanks :)

Stuart

Quote from: Vinspire on May 10, 2006, 05:24:41 AM
Any screenshot of this trick ? Thanks :)

In fact you can see a screenshot in the first post. It shouldn't be much different from the left image  :)

Hoodie

I know this is old but for this that might want to know, this works 5 years later..

Advertisement: